Surrendering alcohol prior to boarding at ports in Australia?

R & R Carroll

I have posted this question on the Australia/NZ board but I thought I would pose it here also. We will be cruising Australia and New Zealand in February on the Marina departing from the White Bay Cruise Terminal in Sydney. The website for the port states, "Duty-free, tax free and personal alcohol purchases onshore must be surrendered by passengers at embarkation or prior to boarding at any port." :eek: Since Oceania does allow passengers to bring alcohol on board I am a bit confused (not quite panicking...), if our cruise line allows it will the port authorities, or will our wine possibly be confiscated? :confused:

I have posted this question on the Australia/NZ board but I thought I would pose it here also. We will be cruising Australia and New Zealand in February on the Marina departing from the White Bay Cruise Terminal in Sydney. The website for the port states, "Duty-free, tax free and personal alcohol purchases onshore must be surrendered by passengers at embarkation or prior to boarding at any port." :eek: Since Oceania does allow passengers to bring alcohol on board I am a bit confused (not quite panicking...), if our cruise line allows it will the port authorities, or will our wine possibly be confiscated? :confused:

Oceania has always had the legal option of confiscating liquor, but has not chosen to excercise it, so far. Why would the signage in Australia have any impact?

Does it make sense to confiscate alcohol?

We had scissors confiscated from our hand luggage when we boarded a ship in Sydney. Makes a lot of sense, does it? :confused: After all, if they had been in the other suitcase, we would have had access to them in our stateroom. A ship is not a plane with a separate cargo hold.

Oceania has always had the legal option of confiscating liquor, but has not chosen to excercise it, so far. Why would the signage in Australia have any impact?

The port authority also has a legal option to confiscate liquor or anything else they deem inappropriate or a violation of P&Ps/R&R. I don't know if there is any signage at the port, I was referring to a rule/regulation posted on their website. I gave up a long time ago trying to understand why people, never mind bureaucracies, do the things they do. Question: has anyone experienced the port authorities in Sydney confiscating alcohol from their person (carry-on) or luggage when embarking an Oceania ship in Sydney? Responses appreciated.

I never tried to bring on liquor in Australia so I don't know if they'd ever do so or not, but I DO know that they get bent out of shape at catnip. Customs even rejects many packages that contain catnip. Trying to send an Australian friend a catnip toy for their cat(s) is very difficult.

When I brought some catnip toys for a friend's cats about 8 years ago, I declared it. They were very puzzled about what it did (!) but let me take it off the ship. Then when we left Australia, they made sure that I no longer had it with me. I'm not sure who they were protecting at that point ...

Mura

I never tried to bring on liquor in Australia so I don't know if they'd ever do so or not, but I DO know that they get bent out of shape at catnip. Customs even rejects many packages that contain catnip. Trying to send an Australian friend a catnip toy for their cat(s) is very difficult.

When I brought some catnip toys for a friend's cats about 8 years ago, I declared it. They were very puzzled about what it did (!) but let me take it off the ship. Then when we left Australia, they made sure that I no longer had it with me. I'm not sure who they were protecting at that point ...

Mura

Lol, that is very funny. Thanks for sharing. (I'm still laughing).

Roseann

Hope we get some answers on this question Roseann since we are spending a week in Australia prior to boarding; visiting Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale and Hunter Valley - all with the intention of purchasing wine for the cruise!

That reminds me ... when we were in Hobart back in 2005 we did a tour that included a stop at a vineyard. Two couples on the tour who were continuing on the Bangkok after Sydney DID buy wine, and they had no trouble getting it on board the ship.

Of course, that was quite a while and rules could have changed ... or it's as has been said, it's not really a problem.

Also, the problem as posed may refer to when you initially board as opposed to mid-cruise, which was the situation with us.

Mura

I emailed the port authority and hopefully they will respond.

Thanks Jean/Michael, I will be interested in their response. I also sent an inquiry to my TA.

On the Australia/NZ board, a poster from Sydney stated that the wording is based on the main cruise operator which uses that terminal, P&O Aust. who don't permit alcohol to be brought on board for consumption. He went on to state that the port authorities won't be concerned and we should not have a problem.

Like Jan, I don't wish to spend a lot of money on wonderful Australian wine and not be able to enjoy it.

Wendy, I absolutely agree that such a practice would not make sense. Hopefully this is all much to do about nothing...

Roseann

We boarded Seabourn this February in Sydney and had some wine we had purchased in the Hunter Valley. We boarded with two bottle of wine and two bottle of champagne and no problems. I must admit I don't even remember being asked about them.

I know friends came back after a Port stop in Adelaide with a box each of wine and the same thing happened when in the Bunbury stop they visited the Margaret River area.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Our amazing TA contacted O who in turn contacted the port authorities. The only restrictions are the ones the cruise lines impose. The restriction regarding alcohol that I quoted in my original post only applies to Australian ships. Happy dance!

Edited by R & R Carroll

Hello all. Here is the answer from the port. I will be boarding with Australian beer and wine.

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gif

RE: Cruise Ship and Alcohol

Enquiries (Enquiries@sydneyports.com.au)

Add to contacts

10/22/14

clear.gif

bluemanmxl.png

Dear Jean,

I have been told before that alcohol is usually not allowed on board cruise ships – unless operators expressly say their guests can bring one or more bottles of wine with them. Cruise line representatives would need to sort out any dispute that arises on the day.

Confiscation is not a risk in your case – provided you comply with the alcohol allowances of your chosen cruise line.

Kind Regards,

Brendan Elliott | Community Engagement Manager