Please explain cabin classment

morbihan

Inside each category (veranda for example) there are subcategories. Yes, it is pretty much just about location. So if you're in a 1A, that tells me you have one of the extra large balconies on the 'hump'. 1Bs have standard balconies, but on higher floors than 2Bs. 2C and 2D have partially obstructed views. But they are ALL standard veranda cabins. Does that help? ;)

1A is the top level standard veranda cabin. The cabin itself is the exact same as every other veranda cabin. The 1A cabins are located on the angled areas of the ship, most on the edges of the mid-ship hump but also on the edge of where the cabin tapers in towards the forward end of the ship. Because of the exterior angle these cabins have slightly larger verandas than other veranda cabins. This post on another thread shows photos of the locations of these cabins and graphically shows why the verandas are a little larger.

All of the other designations for standard veranda cabins depend on location. Generally speaking the 2D cabins have obstructed view, the 2C cabins also have an obstructed view but the obstruction is less, 2B cabins are forward or aft and 2A cabins are mid-ship.

Edited by Lsimon

Thank you all.

I know from reading the board how keen people seem to be to get everything just so and spend hours comparing cabins.

Apart from my eyes glazing over when I look at the deck plans - magnifying glass in hand - I just can't really be bothered. First cruise we plumpted for a sunset veranda on the Silhouette and loved it so when we booked again - onboard, of course - we went for roughly the same area on Connie. No cabins available so we are on the top.

I have obviously just been lucky not to be next to the disco or below the gym. I am going to have to be more thorough. Never even thought about above or below. Learning all the time.

The cruise line allows the passengers to determine what cabins are the most desirable and then through attrition cahrge accordingly.

The first time we sailed in AQ all cabins were AQ then they were divided into AQ1 and AQ2. Why, because AQ1 were picked first.

The same with balconies. On some other lines we would get a cabin with a larger balcony or better location in a lower category and then the next time the same cabin would be 2 or 3 categories higher.

First time cruisers don't really thing about bad locations, balcony sizes, or etc. After the first night they may be at the desk complaining about some issue that they don't like and will not make the same mistake the next time if there is one.

On our 2nd cruise we took a outside guarantee as we never had or thought about a balcony because our first cruise was also a outside. We ended up with a porthole cabin, two beds that could not be joined together and the cabin was on the same deck as the crews' cabins. The next cruise we moved up to a balcony gurantee and ended up with a cove type balcony with two berth beds. Never took a guarantee again.

There are many things that people desire or try to avoid, under the gym, pool deck, over the theater, galley, lounge, anchors, and thrusters.

Some want a open sunny balcony, others want shade. Some want to be close to the elevators, others don't. SOme want to be close to a bar, upper deck, lower deck, middle and etc.

After a few cruises you will find what you like and willing to pay for.

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

That's just it.

Our TA in the UK was useless. Only found out anything after I found Cruise Critic. Too late for the first cruise.

Then we booked onboard. As you do. So no time to be looking at spreadsheets, comments etc.

What is guarantee? Where do you find it? On line? With your TA? Online TA? Cruise line?

I have seen all the "cheap" online TA's but I live in Europe and frightened of getting done!

So much to consider. And that is before which drinks package:):D

Is guarantee where you book a class such as 2C and they decide which 2C you get?

Basically, YES, but almost always a Guarantee (GTY) fare doesn't go down to the sub categories, only the the Supercategory. That is to say they offer a Veranda GTY not a 2C GTY.

That is they usually only do a GTY for Veranda, Concierge, Suite etc. and then will place you in any cabin within the whole category or better categories.

Also, generally GTY fares don't pop up until post- final payment.

I have seen an occasional "Sky Suite" GTY pop up, but specific sub categories are rare GTY fares to come across.

Thank you.

Does this mean that qty are the offers we see in the newspaper. Filling up?

I would imagine that if you went into a TA you would pick the cabin when booking and it would be on your booking info.

It is becoming clearer!

Thank you.

Does this mean that qty are the offers we see in the newspaper. Filling up?

I would imagine that if you went into a TA you would pick the cabin when booking and it would be on your booking info.

It is becoming clearer!

I seen one cruise where the cost of a balcony guarantee was $2900 pp for 7 days, the same cruise had suites starting at $2900 pp. Figure out what kind of cabin that balcony gurantee will end up getting upgraded to. :rolleyes:

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞