No sand at Maho Beach

OHCruisin

I'll be at Maho in Jan of 2017. Has the sand come and gone regularly in the past? Should I expect sand in January? This has me concerned as being on the beach watching the planes come in is the reason for choosing this itinerary.

Yes. The sand disappears after about every tropical storm or hurricane. Some of it is replaced by the tides, and the hotels/resorts also pay to bring in more. It might be back by January (vacation season).

Looking closely at the picture posted by dcgrumpy on September 10, the rocks next to the road seem to be a bit higher than the sand used to be. This would indicate that maybe those rocks were added (possibly to keep the road from being undermined). If this is so, it might be that the beach has been seriously impacted.

I would be interesting to compare that picture with earlier ones showing the sandy beach.

I was thinking this but was hesitant to say this until I read your comment. I will just agree with you.

If you took the aspect of the airport away, I feel it would be an incredibly disappointing destination. :o

It would be a drive by beach without the airport. No one has ever said otherwise. It's so unique and fun and for the one person that don't like it I think that there are 100 people that do. It's wildly popular and videos of landings and take-offs can be seen on the MANY you-tube videos. Maho IS all about the planes so if that's not of interest then another beach it is!

• 1 year later...