Suggestions for things to do/fun places to eat after my St Thomas Tour?

cubalinda

Hi there.Looking for ideas for things to do and fun places to eat at after my Tour in St. Thomas. I'm there on a cruise 1st week in May. We are there from 10-7pm.

Unfortunately the ship is docked at Crown Bay pier.(seems like the lesser of the 2 ports?).

I'm debating taking a Sightseeing/Beach Tour with Marian's taxi Service that runs from 12:30 to 4 pm (according to her website) that says that we may choose the beach we'd like to go to and I really want Magens bay Beach. (anyone know if Marian does accommodate different traveler's choices re their beach of choice?/ Any specific feedback about her tours?).

With her tour we don't have a lot of time for anything else after,but would like some options. My travel friend wants to be on the gangway at 6 pm). As Marians drops us off at the pier. Are there any fun restaurants nearby?

Another choice is called "Discover St. Thomas and Magens Bay" by Royal Caribbean. It guarantees time at Magens bay Beach, but it seems to focus in on mostly Blackbeard's castle (although it is self guided), Drake's Seat for sights and Shopping downtown and neither of us is interested in shopping.

Does anyone have any feedback on this tour as I can't find any reviews about it.

This tour starts at 10:45 and is said to run 5 hrs, although that is factoring in time shopping, so I will have more time to do things after this Tour. We have to make our way back to Crown Bay pier ourselves when we feel we've had enough of this tour so we will be downtown with time on our hands.

Any recommendations for fun restaurants near the waterfront downtown?

Any suggestions for things to see/do downtown as well?

Is Paradise Point tram worth doing? (seems kind of expensive and maybe a bit of work to get to from downtown?) Are any restaurants at Havensight Pier worth the trek over to?

Any information/advice/comments are greatly appreciated.

You'll be so busy taking pictures that you may not have much time to do many other things. There's a lot of history in addition to Blackbeard's throughout the town but not well marked for visitors.

Fun restaurants: Gladys' Restaurant in Royal Dane Mall. Gladys loves r&b oldies and loves to sing along from behind the bar.

Trenchtown Rock on Backstreet. It's a Jamaican restaurant that has big screen tvs usually playing soccer or Caribbean music videos.

The Beer Garden in a courtyard off Main St. Very relaxing atmosphere.

The Greenhouse on the Waterfront is very popular because of the view and people watching.

All have been reviewed on TripAdvisor.

I have not been impressed with Smoking Rooster. First time I went had sausage. Just OK. Tried cornbread. Thin, small, and not "southern". Tried mac and cheese. No flavor. Tried split pea soup with ham and it was too spicy. I swear they enhance their food with some kind of smoke flavor. The smell was unappetizing.

I did have their smoked mahi once and it was good. Will try that again.

I have not been impressed with Smoking Rooster. First time I went had sausage. Just OK. Tried cornbread. Thin, small, and not "southern". Tried mac and cheese. No flavor. Tried split pea soup with ham and it was too spicy. I swear they enhance their food with some kind of smoke flavor. The smell was unappetizing.

I did have their smoked mahi once and it was good. Will try that again.

We had stuffed (BBQ chicken) huge baked potatoes...yummy and the Banana Pudding was AMAZING :p:p

Sorry, but I would never have ordered any of the items you did ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm debating taking a Sightseeing/Beach Tour with Marian's taxi Service that runs from 12:30 to 4 pm (according to her website) that says that we may choose the beach we'd like to go to and I really want Magens bay Beach. (anyone know if Marian does accommodate different traveler's choices re their beach of choice?/ Any specific feedback about her tours?).

With her tour we don't have a lot of time for anything else after,but would like some options. My travel friend wants to be on the gangway at 6 pm). As Marians drops us off at the pier. Are there any fun restaurants nearby?

Based on our experience in February with Marian's Taxi Service, I would NOT recommend booking with her. She was an hour late, but since we had paid in full for 4 people, we felt like we were stuck. I called two times to see where she was. The first time, she said she would be there in 10 min. When she wasn't there after 25 min. I called again. She said she was two min. away. It was still another 20 min. All she said was sorry she was running behind, but she didn't sound sincere.

Once she finally arrived, we joined the 5 other people already in her vehicle, and we were off. She didn't go to all of the places listed for the sightseeing. She had also said you could have your pick of beach, but you really didn't. That day she was only going to Coki Beach because some of the other people were going to Coral World.

On the plus side, she did have a smaller vehicle, so not so many other passenger, her speaker system worked well, and she had a cooler with pop and water.

On a previous cruise, we booked with Godfrey Tours. His vehicle was larger, so more people, but overall, he gave us a much better tour, had true beach options, was less money and you didn't pay until that day, and most importantly, he was on time!

If you value your vacation time, I would not recommend Marian's Taxi tour.

The "cookie cutter" tours like Godfrey don't have "true" beach options if it's a majority decision so someone will not get to the beach of their choice. But Magens is probably the most popular choice so you'd probably get there.

You'll find recommendations here for private drivers if you want something tailored to your wants.

The "cookie cutter" tours like Godfrey don't have "true" beach options if it's a majority decision so someone will not get to the beach of their choice. But Magens is probably the most popular choice so you'd probably get there.

You'll find recommendations here for private drivers if you want something tailored to your wants.

Nr.Blue, Blue, are you familar with Bernard's Tours on St Marteen? Curious if you know of similar on St Thomas?

Paradise Point, which is a very short walk from Haven-sight, if you book there.

The aerial tram to Paradise Point is a 10 - 15 min walk from your ship depending on how many ships are between you and the port, or you can take a short taxi.

we're crusing in less than two weeks and I have no clue what we want to do on this island - 3 kids ages 10-15. we're renting a private catamaran on St. Martin, so not wanting to spend much $. thinking of just getting off the ship whenever we feel like and and hiring a cab. so i'm taking notes from this thread - what is Magic Ice? is the Blackbeard's castle worth seeing?

Let me tell you, unless Magic Ice has "changed," within the past 2 years, It is NOT a Bar!!! I have seen a lot of children go through there the couple times I went. The ONLY time, unless it has changed, is when you get at the end of the tour, and they give you a very SMALL drink, but you don't have to take it, as they do NOT force it on you.:confused:

There is a bar, I assume they could use it for an adult ice party, not sure if they do functions there. But the ice sculptures are interesting and a shot of rum is included st the end of your tour, I hope they give kids a little shot of punch or something. We could have stayed as long as we wanted, we spent 15 minutes including talking to one of the staff...

The Paradise Point Tram is definitely worth the visit. Spectacular views. Crown Bay is very close to the ferry to Water Island. $10. Round trip, and when you get off the ferry, there is a free (tips only) taxi to Honeymoon Beach. You can also walk there in 10 minutes, but like everything else here, it involves a hill. There's a restaurant/bar and it's a nice spot, not crowded by cruise ship passengers. At Crown Bay there is also a restaurant, Tickles, that is right on the dock, and you can sit outside and watch the yachts. There will be a great view of your cruise ship also. The water island ferry leaves right from Tickles. Both are an easy walk from the cruise ship. I wouldn't go to Havensite just for the restaurants. There are a few beaches near Crown Bay, you'd need a taxi, but there is Lindberg Bay, (not Lindquist), and Brewer's Beach. These are more local beaches, so not crowded. More hang on the beach and get sun places. Be sure to get a list of taxi prices, take a picture of the sign. The vast majority of taxi drivers are honest, but there are a few gypsy cabbies that will try to scam you. Show them the picture of the fares and they back down. Have a wonderful visit, it's a magical place.

Edited by idlewood4
add

The Paradise Point Tram is definitely worth the visit. Spectacular views. Crown Bay is very close to the ferry to Water Island. $10. Round trip, and when you get off the ferry, there is a free (tips only) taxi to Honeymoon Beach. You can also walk there in 10 minutes, but like everything else here, it involves a hill. There's a restaurant/bar and it's a nice spot, not crowded by cruise ship passengers. At Crown Bay there is also a restaurant, Tickles, that is right on the dock, and you can sit outside and watch the yachts. There will be a great view of your cruise ship also. The water island ferry leaves right from Tickles. Both are an easy walk from the cruise ship. I wouldn't go to Havensite just for the restaurants. There are a few beaches near Crown Bay, you'd need a taxi, but there is Lindberg Bay, (not Lindquist), and Brewer's Beach. These are more local beaches, so not crowded. More hang on the beach and get sun places. Be sure to get a list of taxi prices, take a picture of the sign. The vast majority of taxi drivers are honest, but there are a few gypsy cabbies that will try to scam you. Show them the picture of the fares and they back down. Have a wonderful visit, it's a magical place.

Just one comment, Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is a nice little beach to visit if docked at Crown. But just be aware that it definitely does get very crowded with cruise ship passengers and crew. And you may have to wait for the return ferry to return again as it fills up.

Magic Ice is an ice bar, not sure you would want to take 3 kids there, but if you read reviews on trip advisor you can see photo's. It looks cool.

The LAST thing I want to do on my Carribean vacation is see ice and snow! I get enough of that with Michigan winters.... I am trying to escape that! Aahaha