Le Gallion Information

SDA1125

Le Gallion sounds like a relaxing beach that I would like to go to. Has anyone been there recently ? I understand there is a small restaraunt there and you can rent chairs. How long does it take to get there and will I have any problems getting a return taxi back.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide :)

le Galion is a wonderful beach.

th_DSCN6229.jpg

(click)

Yes, there is Chez Pat, and they rent chairs.

Taxi should take less than 40 minutes, and hope for even less. It would probably be a taxi to Orient, which is nearby.

If you're renting chairs and buying lunch and drinks, they should be very willing to call a taxi for you.

gary

Le Gallion sounds like a relaxing beach that I would like to go to. Has anyone been there recently ? I understand there is a small restaraunt there and you can rent chairs. How long does it take to get there and will I have any problems getting a return taxi back.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide :)

In may it should take 25-30 minutes to get to Le Gallion as there are not as many ships doing the Caribbean because they will already be doing Europe and Alaska routes.

I would give my self an hour and a half to get back just in case your taxi driver does not come back for you and you have to walk to the main road to catch one going or coming back from Orient.

PS its a lovel beach:) really authentic Caribbean.

I would pay some attention here on the boards over this next cruising season and see what ccer's are saying about taxi pick-ups at Le Gallion. The road has now been paved the whole way so the once reluctant taxi drivers may be more interested to make stops at Le Gallion to drop and pick up passengers.

Edited by Karysa

• 1 month later...

I said I'd give an update when I returned. Been back a week now, almost forgot.

Le Gallion was our favorite beach. It was everything we expected.

To get there we shared a cab with a young couple we met while waiting. They were planning on going to Orient but decided to join us instead. The cab was $7 pp. Took about 20 minutes and we were there before 10am. We asked her to pick us up at 2:00.

Just like I read here, 2 chairs and an umbrella for $15. We were the only 4 I saw from our ship (judging by the towels). There were maybe a dozen or so other people in the area near the bar/restaurant where we were. Further north on the beach was apparently where the locals went. There were 2 long what looked like floating docks they were playing on and diving off. Being a Sunday there was a good crowd there, but it was so far away it was like a different beach.

Anyway, the water was calm and clear. It was the perfect beach.

757633734_cruise2013034.jpg.865fcdf7ac9a17e4b80bc3f5cd86b6cf.jpg

787840820_Gemcruise350.jpg.17d28b5e0c3c749203593e4b5b3b0afa.jpg

Edited by Gregor4500

I said I'd give an update when I returned. Been back a week now, almost forgot.

Le Gallion was our favorite beach. It was everything we expected.

To get there we shared a cab with a young couple we met while waiting. They were planning on going to Orient but decided to join us instead. The cab was $7 pp. Took about 20 minutes and we were there before 10am. We asked her to pick us up at 2:00.

Just like I read here, 2 chairs and an umbrella for $15. We were the only 4 I saw from our ship (judging by the towels). There were maybe a dozen or so other people in the area near the bar/restaurant where we were. Further north on the beach was apparently where the locals went. There were 2 long what looked like floating docks they were playing on and diving off. Being a Sunday there was a good crowd there, but it was so far away it was like a different beach.

Anyway, the water was calm and clear. It was the perfect beach.

[ATTACH]293989[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]293990[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the review. Anyone can enjoy any part of LeGalion. The islanders bring day tents and chairs. Since they do not need to rent chairs they set up a respectful distance from the vendors. While on a cruise stop I often go for 90 Minutes or so and set up by the trees myself as I spend almost all of my time in the water. We have had many nice conversations with locals and folks from other islands and France while at Le Galion. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your day there.:)

Thank you so much - all the information i needed. We are only in port for 7 hours - 1 - 8. Thinking if I get to Le Galion by 2 we can stay until 4:30 and be back for some shopping at 5. Wish we were in port a bit longer.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks so much for all the info, exactly what I was looking for. We're leaving next week and looking forward to Le Galion

I visited both Le Galion and Orient about six weeks ago. Nothing wrong with Orient, but in addition to being less crowded Le Galion has a more scenic backdrop with conical mountains a striking contrast to the white sand and turquoise water.

Actually, Orient is walkable from Le Galion for a somewhat active person. And in between is the Butterfly Farm, a small but pleasant facility with a good selection of the above-named.

I visited both Le Galion and Orient about six weeks ago. Nothing wrong with Orient, but in addition to being less crowded Le Galion has a more scenic backdrop with conical mountains a striking contrast to the white sand and turquoise water.

Actually, Orient is walkable from Le Galion for a somewhat active person. And in between is the Butterfly Farm, a small but pleasant facility with a good selection of the above-named.

With a good pair of shoes you can take the path that leads from Le Galion to the Club O section of Orient I believe. I have seen people leave Le Galion this way but funny thing is I have never seen anyone arrive via that path.:)

• 1 year later...
yes last May when we were there - Two ladies were topless.

Too bad as a tourist book I purchased says that Le Gallion is the one St Maarten beach where they discouraged topless sunbathing. One reason I'm considering it with our kids.

Too bad as a tourist book I purchased says that Le Gallion is the one St Maarten beach where they discouraged topless sunbathing. One reason I'm considering it with our kids.

If topplessness is the determining factor then I would suggest Little Bay. Dutch side resort beach. It's a pretty good beach for kids as well.

If topplessness is the determining factor then I would suggest Little Bay. Dutch side resort beach. It's a pretty good beach for kids as well.

Thank you for the suggestion. Less chance of topless bathers at Little Bay?

Thank you for the suggestion. Less chance of topless bathers at Little Bay?

I have only been a few times but I have never seen or read of people seeing topless beach goers at Little Bay. We are going in may and plan on renting some paddle boards. Its certainly not the nicest beach on the island but I think that it is quite picturesque.

I have only been a few times but I have never seen or read of people seeing topless beach goers at Little Bay. We are going in may and plan on renting some paddle boards. Its certainly not the nicest beach on the island but I think that it is quite picturesque.

Thank you. Little Bay was on my list of possibilities too so will look closer again then. That's good to hear that you can rent things like paddle boats. Do you know what else you can rent (e.g. any water toys for kids?).

Have a great cruise!

Thank you. Little Bay was on my list of possibilities too so will look closer again then. That's good to hear that you can rent things like paddle boats. Do you know what else you can rent (e.g. any water toys for kids?).

Have a great cruise!

Look into Aquamania Divi Little Bay as they are the ones that run the watersports there. BTW I know that they rent Paddle Boards, not sure if the rent Paddle Boats though.