New To NCL, Frequent RCI Cruiser

NY212

I'm about to take my first NCL cruise, seven nights on Breakaway. I have taken many Royal Caribbean cruises. My husband and I are, at least per legal documents, mature adults and we will not be taking any children with us this time.

I would appreciate any insights into differences between the two cruise lines.

Is there anything I am likely to be happily surprised to find?

What am I used to that I won't find, like the Solarium? On RCI, this adults-only pool and whirlpool area is free, but on NCL, one pays for Vibe.

Are there things that are free on NCL for which one pays on RCI and vice versa, other than the aforementioned Vibe?

Is the internet speed as bad as it is on most RCI ships?

What should I sign up for in advance?

What are the not-to-be-missed activities?

I was just on Carnival Magic and loved the SERENITY over 21 space. My sis and I are planning to go back there in a cloud 9 spa balcony.

I love many things about NCL. It has a laid back zibe and more choices than the other 3 lines I have cruised on.

Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and buy the spa passes in April.

NCL has the most visible and interacting crew/officersI have ever seen. Really good CC Meet & Greets too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about to take my first NCL cruise, seven nights on Breakaway. I have taken many Royal Caribbean cruises. My husband and I are, at least per legal documents, mature adults and we will not be taking any children with us this time.

I would appreciate any insights into differences between the two cruise lines.

Is there anything I am likely to be happily surprised to find?

What am I used to that I won't find, like the Solarium? On RCI, this adults-only pool and whirlpool area is free, but on NCL, one pays for Vibe.

Are there things that are free on NCL for which one pays on RCI and vice versa, other than the aforementioned Vibe?

Is the internet speed as bad as it is on most RCI ships?

What should I sign up for in advance?

What are the not-to-be-missed activities?

Internet is great on Breakaway - unlike most ships you do not pay for the amount of time you are on the computer - just the amount of time you use to send. It charges by bytes instead of minutes and i was surprised at how little i used. I bought the most and had to get everyone in my group to use my time before we left the ship.

The shows are really great too.

I have found RCCL and NCL to be more alike than different. Amenities, Entertainment, Food, Service, all very equal.

The one difference that sticks out the most is the Freestyle Dining in the MDR.

If you prefer My Time Dining on Royal, you should be fine with Freestyle. There is a good chance you could end up standing in line holding a pager waiting for a table.

If you prefer Traditional Dining, the closest you can get to that is to make reservations for your dining time, just like making reservations at any other restaurant. However, chances are good that you won't have the same server more than twice the entire trip. Also, if you like window seats, you have to be pretty early and willing to share a table to get them. You have to be persistent because they will tell you that they save window tables for large groups.

I have heard, but cannot personally verify, that you can make your reservations online prior to sailing. If not, you might want to make an early stop at the Dining desk after boarding to make your reservations for the week.

When we cruised the NCL Dawn, I did not know you could make reservations until the second night, when the Matre D' told me it could be done. By then, almost all of the time slots we like best, 6:00-6:30, were already taken. We did get lucky and picked up a couple spots where other people cancelled. I do have to give kudos to the NCL Dawn Dining desk for putting us on the waitlist and actually following up when a spot opened.

We don't use any of the Upcharge / Specialty Dining venues, so I can't comment on any of the differences between those.

P.S. Your signature shows SS France I. Would that be the one that became the Norway?

Edited by clean1owner

I have made reservations before online for the MDR. They say they hold them for you for 10 or 15 min. past the time of the reservation. However, you STILL have to stand in line and when it's your turn you tell them you have a reservation. I haven't really figured out why one should make the reservation online if one still has to stand in line to get to the host.

Harriet

I have found RCCL and NCL to be more alike than different. Amenities, Entertainment, Food, Service, all very equal.

The one difference that sticks out the most is the Freestyle Dining in the MDR.

If you prefer My Time Dining on Royal, you should be fine with Freestyle. There is a good chance you could end up standing in line holding a pager waiting for a table.

If you prefer Traditional Dining, the closest you can get to that is to make reservations for your dining time, just like making reservations at any other restaurant. However, chances are good that you won't have the same server more than twice the entire trip. Also, if you like window seats, you have to be pretty early and willing to share a table to get them. You have to be persistent because they will tell you that they save window tables for large groups.

I have heard, but cannot personally verify, that you can make your reservations online prior to sailing. If not, you might want to make an early stop at the Dining desk after boarding to make your reservations for the week.

When we cruised the NCL Dawn, I did not know you could make reservations until the second night, when the Matre D' told me it could be done. By then, almost all of the time slots we like best, 6:00-6:30, were already taken. We did get lucky and picked up a couple spots where other people cancelled. I do have to give kudos to the NCL Dawn Dining desk for putting us on the waitlist and actually following up when a spot opened.

We don't use any of the Upcharge / Specialty Dining venues, so I can't comment on any of the differences between those.

P.S. Your signature shows SS France I. Would that be the one that became the Norway?

I have made reservations before online for the MDR. They say they hold them for you for 10 or 15 min. past the time of the reservation. However, you STILL have to stand in line and when it's your turn you tell them you have a reservation. I haven't really figured out why one should make the reservation online if one still has to stand in line to get to the host.

Harriet

Not the same line as those holding pagers, I hope!

When we showed up at the MDR, we simply told the person standing at the top of the steps that we had reservations, and they would walk us down the steps to the desk where you check in.

(This is the OP)

Thank you all for the useful info. On to follow-up questions:

Re food

As a vegetarian, I have found that the extra-fee specialty restaurants are generally not worth it. Does anyone disagree?

I usually find ample choices of vegie food without any trouble on RCI. Are there any vegies who can tell me if the same is true on NCL? I would expect so.

Is there a 24-hour food place on Breakaway? DH enjoys night time snacking.

Re Other

What is not-to-be-missed?

That's a great tip about Spice H2O. I'm not expecting a lot of children on my cruise, but adult only areas are generally pretty peaceful.

For those of you who have traveled in spa staterooms, The Haven, other suites - what makes them worth the extra money? I'm willing to spend, up to a point, if I get something other than a larger stateroom and balcony. I'm planning to stay in a mid-ship balcony stateroom.

Are there things I should bring that I don't have to bring on RCI? Bathrobes, toiletries, hangers, ...?

Are there enough outlets that I both of us can charge our eReaders, iPods, cell phones and other electric or electronic items overnight? Is there an outlet in the bathroom?

Internet is great on Breakaway - unlike most ships you do not pay for the amount of time you are on the computer - just the amount of time you use to send. It charges by bytes instead of minutes and i was surprised at how little i used. I bought the most and had to get everyone in my group to use my time before we left the ship.

The shows are really great too.

When you say "send", do you mean that you don't pay for download, only for upload? That is too good to be true.

Given how slow Internet is on every ship I've ever been on, paying by byte instead of minute sounds great! No more gnashing my teeth while my DH surfs. He always buys the biggest package and always runs out halfway through the cruise.

When you say "send", do you mean that you don't pay for download, only for upload? That is too good to be true.

Given how slow Internet is on every ship I've ever been on, paying by byte instead of minute sounds great! No more gnashing my teeth while my DH surfs. He always buys the biggest package and always runs out halfway through the cruise.

I was on Breakaway last week (also a very experienced RCI cruiser). You pay for all data usage, not just uploads. Still a good deal and the internet was better than what I experienced on my last RCI cruise.

We loved the Breakaway, which was actually our first NCL cruise. Entertainment was outstanding and the ship was just fun -- one of those intangible things. Only two disappointments: we obviously knew this before we sailed but there are no covered pools except for the Haven complex, so you will be inside if the weather is cold. The other is a lack of lighter / healthier dining options compared to RCI. Think Solarium Bistro on the Oasis Class -- nothing like that on NCL, and the salad bar options at the buffet were poor. They have delicious made to order salads in the Uptown Grill, but the venue is open air and may not be available if the weather is too cold.

All in all we had a fantastic time on the Breakaway and were very impressed with NCL. We will definitely be back in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I don't know. It was the mid sixties and I was very young. Most of what I remember was having croissants and French onion soup for breakfast.

I usually find ample choices of vegie food without any trouble on RCI. Are there any vegies who can tell me if the same is true on NCL? I would expect so.

You are correct. I'm not vegetarian but there seemed to be many veggie choices. If you are vegan you might be more stressed, but NCL does try hard to accommodate all types of food needs. (I read on this board that there's even a vegetarian menu at Cagney's, the steak specialty restaurant!)

At the buffet there is often an Indian food station which always has some veggie options.

Is there a 24-hour food place on Breakaway? DH enjoys night time snacking.

O'Sheehan's is open 24 hours, and room service is also available 24 hours. They'll charge you for it between midnight and 5am, but not at other times.

Re Other

What is not-to-be-missed?

I liked Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor. Be sure to make a reservation since they can fill up.

Look for the chocolate croissants at breakfast, they're great. They'll bring you some if you are eating in a restaurant or order room service.

The Uptown Grill is on the deck above the buffet and has better bagels in the morning. (Not good NY bagels but better than what's on the buffet.)

Are there things I should bring that I don't have to bring on RCI? Bathrobes, toiletries, hangers, ...?

They don't have bathrobes until you get to the real suites, so if you're in a mini-suite or below, bring your own. Non-suites provide shampoo, soap, and body wash but not conditioner.

Are there enough outlets that I both of us can charge our eReaders, iPods, cell phones and other electric or electronic items overnight? Is there an outlet in the bathroom?

There is an outlet in the bathroom. There is also a blow dryer so you don't need to bring that. There are a couple of outlets by the desk but I would recommend that you bring a power strip if you have multiple devices to charge. I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BZ103050vTVL-outlet-Protector-Chargers/dp/B0017HF3XO and it might be all you need.

They don't have bathrobes until you get to the real suites, so if you're in a mini-suite or below, bring your own. Non-suites provide shampoo, soap, and body wash but not conditioner.

On all my NCL cruises I've yet to be on and in a balcony or mini suite had bathrobes. If, for some reason, they're not in your closet when you arrive simply let your room steward know you'd like them. They're probably still in the wash. Suites - those robes are different and of a better quality.

Harriet

On all my NCL cruises I've yet to be on and in a balcony or mini suite had bathrobes. If, for some reason, they're not in your closet when you arrive simply let your room steward know you'd like them. They're probably still in the wash. Suites - those robes are different and of a better quality.

Harriet

Yeah, we had bathrobes in our Breakaway mini-suite a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Vegetarian wise they always have at least one dish but you could mix and match your meal by requestin tge various sides from the main dishes. I've ordered a main dish plus the side from other menu items without a problem so don't see why you couldn't order all sides. You can also order from the kids menu if you are brave enough to ask the waiter for the menu. I love cheese and tend to go through withdrawal on cruises so I usually order Mac and cheese from the kids menu at least once :) It is probably velveta plus some real cheese. I think they also have pizza and jello which usually are not on the main menu.

Also....not sure which ship you are going on but at least the "older" ships (jewel class or sun/sky/spirit class) have two sockets per wooden stand. There are usually 2 in each room so 4 sockets in the main room plus the one in the bathroom. I also have a small power strip similar to the one posted earlier. But if you have a device that can take a range of voltages (most adapters do these days) they also have 2 European ports in addition to the north american ones. You could bring an adapter if you don't want to buy a power strip. The ship might have extras too - just ask at guest services desk.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app