Best Beaches in St Croix?

Ken Greco

Stopping in St Croix for the first time. Any good family beaches that are easy to get to?

If you want convenience, walk to the beach just to the left of where the ship docks. It was not bad, I think we spent $15 for two lounge chairs and an unbrella. There are bathrooms and a bar, but I don't recall any food around.

Stopping in St Croix for the first time. Any good family beaches that are easy to get to?

Walked to Sandcastles, it took about 20 minutes. Rented chairs for $5 each which gave you the use of shower, pool and bathroom too. There was a bar and restaurant but we did not use. It was possible to rent an umbrella for an extra $10 but the day was a mix of sun and cloud so we didn't bother.

We took a shared van back to the ship for $3 per person.

Lovely day!

1 week ago, walked 2 blocks to the left of the ship, lovely calm white sand beach with lots of families. $20 for two chairs and a very good umbrella, more like a tent. Drink service chairside. Bathrooms, free wifi, and food in the beach bar. Food was expensive but very good! Great chicken skewer and guacamole. Paddleboard and other rentals onsite.

• 5 weeks later...
Walked to Sandcastles, it took about 20 minutes. Rented chairs for $5 each which gave you the use of shower, pool and bathroom too. There was a bar and restaurant but we did not use. It was possible to rent an umbrella for an extra $10 but the day was a mix of sun and cloud so we didn't bother.

Lovely day!

Is Sandcastles on Rainbow Beach?

Is Sandcastles on Rainbow Beach?

No, Rainbow is in the opposite direction from Sandcastles.

We went to Rainbow and had a lovely day. When you get onto the dock there will be tables set up with people selling shuttle tickets depending on where you want to go. We paid $6pp round trip. We got to Rainbow early and they set up chairs and umbrellas for us right at waters edge. It was quiet in the morning but got more crowded as the day went on. We rented floats and just lazed around in the water. You can see the ship in the distance from the beach, I love that.

There was a restaurant/bar but we were ready to return to the ship by 1pm so we didn't eat there. The shuttles circulate every 15 minutes or so to bring you back to the pier.

I would definitely return to Rainbow next time we're in St. Croix.

No, Rainbow is in the opposite direction from Sandcastles.

We went to Rainbow and had a lovely day. When you get onto the dock there will be tables set up with people selling shuttle tickets depending on where you want to go. We paid $6pp round trip. We got to Rainbow early and they set up chairs and umbrellas for us right at waters edge. It was quiet in the morning but got more crowded as the day went on. We rented floats and just lazed around in the water. You can see the ship in the distance from the beach, I love that.

There was a restaurant/bar but we were ready to return to the ship by 1pm so we didn't eat there. The shuttles circulate every 15 minutes or so to bring you back to the pier.

I would definitely return to Rainbow next time we're in St. Croix.

Thank you for the info on Rainbow Beach. There is a large bunch from our group that is planning on going. It sounds like there is alot there for everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
1 week ago, walked 2 blocks to the left of the ship, lovely calm white sand beach with lots of families. $20 for two chairs and a very good umbrella, more like a tent. Drink service chairside. Bathrooms, free wifi, and food in the beach bar. Food was expensive but very good! Great chicken skewer and guacamole. Paddleboard and other rentals onsite.

Went to this beach last week and was disappointed it was so rocky! Bring your water shoes it is tough getting into the water at this beach.

• 3 weeks later...
Went to this beach last week and was disappointed it was so rocky! Bring your water shoes it is tough getting into the water at this beach.

When you are looking at the rocks turn left and go down in front of Cottages, the sand smooths out down that way. Alternatively you can head back closer to the ship, once you get past the big trees it gets smoother but it will be crowded on Sundays.

If you are looking for the quintessential perfect smooth sand beach I recommend you head down toward Rainbow Beach, it's generally smoother.

Is there good snorkeling at Rainbow beach? I'm a little fish but there are a few in our party that would rather just hang out.

T*

Please be VERY careful if you go snorkeling there! Because they rent jetskis there you get a lot of people buzzing very close to the beach.

Personally I prefer Sandcastle for snorkeling but there is a little bit to see at Rainbow.

When you are looking at the rocks turn left and go down in front of Cottages, the sand smooths out down that way. Alternatively you can head back closer to the ship, once you get past the big trees it gets smoother but it will be crowded on Sundays.

If you are looking for the quintessential perfect smooth sand beach I recommend you head down toward Rainbow Beach, it's generally smoother.

Just realized I had misread your message! Sorry!

If you head further toward Rainbow it smooths out past Teres Veho.

• 5 weeks later...

Lovely day!

They have an option to reserve in advance @ $25 for two chaises, umbrella, two drinks, bathroom / shower access, etc.

http://www.sandcastleonthebeach.com/cruise-ship-beach-pass

I'm curious about Cane Bay beach. How would you compare it to Rainbow and Sandcastle?

Looking to snorkel, lounge around, maybe get a bite to eat and have a drink

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I enjoy Cane Bay snorkeling quite a bit! But here's the catch, if you're coming in on a ship the taxi fare is going to cost you $35+ each way. Then you rent your gear, your chair, get food and drinks (Eat @ Cane Bay is FANTASTIC though) and you're looking at a pretty expensive day. If you want to do it it's definitely a great spot, I just don't think it's that much better than the west end.

I enjoy Cane Bay snorkeling quite a bit! But here's the catch, if you're coming in on a ship the taxi fare is going to cost you $35+ each way. Then you rent your gear, your chair, get food and drinks (Eat @ Cane Bay is FANTASTIC though) and you're looking at a pretty expensive day. If you want to do it it's definitely a great spot, I just don't think it's that much better than the west end.

Thanks foe the reply. We have our own gear so that's not an issue.

When you say $35+ is that per person? How long of a ride are we talking?

What would be your favourite beach on the West end for good snorkeling, good food, and reasonable drinks?

Thank you in advance Drake!

Thanks foe the reply. We have our own gear so that's not an issue.

When you say $35+ is that per person? How long of a ride are we talking?

What would be your favourite beach on the West end for good snorkeling, good food, and reasonable drinks?

Thank you in advance Drake!

Technically it should be the fare for 2 people (all the standard fares are 1-2 people) but on a ship day you're going to get gouged a bit on the long trips so figure $45+ for a couple. You never know, you might get it cheaper. It's over a half hour from the pier to cane bay, maybe 45 minutes.

Freedom City Surf Shop is my favorite spot (I've posted info about it on several other threads) 6 days out of the week, but if it's a Sunday you can come hang out with me and the beach club at Sandcastle in the afternoon. [emoji2]