Weight gain!

AmandaBlue

I am starting to worry about weight gain on the cruise. I know some weight gain is inevitable. But I keep hearing horror stories of 15lbs+ gained. I do plan on walking a lot, using the gym, no elevators, dancing. But I know I will drink (rum and diet coke with a few margaritas thrown in) and probably try the warm chocolate melting cake.

What do you all do to limit your weight gain?

In theory, I work out every day and limit what I eat. In reality, I am on vacation and splurge. I do try though. Usually an egg white inlet for breakfast and a salad for lunch (I do have carb loaded breakfasts occasionally and pizza or a hot dot for lunch), I make sure to have whatever I want for dinner though. I normally do 14 day cruises and gain around 10 pounds, then work my butt off in prep for the next cruise.

The more you exercise and eat healthy now, the faster your metabolism will get, and the higher your BMR will be, so you'll be able to eat more calories without gaining weight.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

For me, it doesn't matter as much how much I gain, but much more about getting back into a normal eating pattern when I get home. No matter what the scale says I will be at my WW meeting on Thurs. after we return home. We are so active when we cruise, I eat whatever I want and usually gain 2-4 pounds. I have to admit I am a little worried, too, but I know I can keep a balance and be successful while still having the cruise of a lifetime!

I've gained weight on every cruise, the longer the cruise the more the gain. However, I lhave lost it fast afterwards because the first few days back is water loss. I seem to hold a lot of water on cruises perhaps because cruise food has a lot more sodium than I eat in daily life.

The other reason the weight falls off fast is that I get right back on my regular diet plan as soon as I get home. The wild abandon of cruise eating comes to a quick and sudden end, then it is back to business as usual.

For me, I must confess, part of the fun of a cruise is enjoying all the naughty, yummy forbidden treats of daily life. It is a little vacation from food rules. That said, I do see folks on cruises who somehow maintain a rigid diet and exercise regime and probably don't gain weight. I don't know how they do it in the face of so much temptation.

Last week I was on a 5 day cruise on the Triumph and I lost 4 lbs. I eat high protein and stay away from most carbs. I have a few margaritas and some wine during the week but stay away from the sweet drinks. I usually walk a couple miles on the treadmill every day and use the stairs some. If I have any dessert, it is only a taste of what my husband orders. I think the trick for me is to stay active and not eating large portions and limiting carbs. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I always train at the gym on the cruise, drink lots of water, and allow myself to eat desserts. I don't drink any alcohol or eat any fried foods. Ladies wait a few days before you weigh yourselves. Remember that you're retaining water from all of the sodium of the foods that we are eating on the ship.

I have gained weight on every cruise except for my South Pacific cruise....that one I ate mostly fruit and drank wine...the meat and other food on that cruise was totally different than what I was used to...all the food was French influence which is not really my thing....one night for dinner all I ate was a bowl of asparagus soup:(....After 2 weeks in the South Pacific I came home 10 pounds lighter.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually stay about the same because we do so much walking in the ports. My husband likes to walk on the deck at night, and I walk with him part of the time and spend some time at the gym. If I have a heavy dessert I spend about an hour on the treadmill!

On our last cruise we did get into the entertainment, but we walked so much in the ports that it wasn't too bad.

That's the ticket for me, too. We are so active, snorkeling, swimming in the ocean, walking. I don't worry (too much, anyway). I ate a lot last year and took the weight off very quickly when got home.

After dieting for 4 months I found I just couldn't eat as much, especially dessert. I had WCMC a couple times and I don't think I ever finished it. Always took the stairs. Walked a lot. Got home and gained 3 lbs. so didn't feel bad about that. Lost it all before my WW meeting.

kona! That is excellent! You had it off before your meeting......wow! One of my WW friends just got back from a 14 day Celebrity cruise. She said she was up 6 lbs. We'll see how she does next Thursday. It'll probably be off.

Same as what most are saying. I splurge on the cruise and my normal weight gain is 2-4 lbs. We are very active during the cruise. Like others said, it has usually came right back off after I get home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have gained as much as 10 lb on our past cruises. Late night pizza, cookies all day long... Lots of deserts and trips to the buffet. We just returned from a 7 night cruise and DH and I were up 1 lb which came off by the next morning!! We had a lot of seafood and sugar free deserts. We went to the gym every morning except the last morning. It can be done and without too much self denial. Just be mindful of what and how much you are eating. We even ordered room service one evening after the evening entertainment. We ordered decaf coffee a cheese plate and fruit:)

I gain about 10 pounds on a 7 day cruise but it's mostly water. By getting right back on track when we get home is all gone in a week or two at the most.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from our 10 day Caribbean on Celebrity Equinox. I gained 1.5 lbs. I was thrilled! I ate what I wanted, but used discretion and never lost control. I really enjoyed the food, maybe more than ever and felt great. Some of the "no sugar added" desserts were excellent. We were very busy snorkeling, swimming, walking and it was the perfect combination for me. I am so happy to know I CAN DO IT!

The "gain" is mostly water weight and normalizes after a week of being back to your regular routine on land.

Keep yourself hydrated.

If you are really worried, stick to low carb diet on cruise. or do Paleo on cruise.

I will come back after a cruise and "gain" 10lbs on the scale, but after a week back at home, its mostly gone.