Dining table assignment

croozer

I booked my cruise on the Carnival web site and selected late seating dining. I realized later that they never asked me what table size I preferred. When I called Carnival, they said they no longer ask that, and I should check with the maître d' when I get on board.

How does Carnival know that I'd prefer a large social table and not a table for 1(as a solo traveler)? Am I really supposed to spend my first afternoon waiting to check with the maître d' along with everyone else that wants to change from late to early and/or Anytime Dining?

Can anyone clarify this situation for me? Is this how Carnival does it now, especially since this is only a four-day? Any advice? Oh yeah, I embark tomorrow on the Inspiration. Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

You could send the maître d' an email the cruise before yours and tell him/her of your request. We have done this a time or two and it seemed to work. If you do a search I am sure you can find out how to address the email. It has been quite a while so I have forgotten.

The MDR opens at 1 or 1:30 for an hour or so. Ask them what kind of table your assigned to. Get there 15 minutes before the door opens.

It's too late to do it any other way.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks for the advice and the address. I will email tonight! This was complicated by a very last-minute booking, not using a travel agent and trusting the Carnival site (and the Carnival 800 # rep) and a massive computer meltdown, requiring repair, so I'm negotiating this on my cellphone. All workable but not optimal. I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks for the advice and the address. I will email tonight! This was complicated by a very last-minute booking, not using a travel agent and trusting the Carnival site (and the Carnival 800 # rep) and a massive computer meltdown, requiring repair, so I'm negotiating this on my cellphone. All workable but not optimal. I'll give it a try tonight.

even with sending the email- I would head to the dining room about 12:45 and check your table. (# will be listed on your sign and sail card)

if its not a large table go see the Mairtre d

I ended up not emailing the maître d' because I forgot to emphasize my original point: is it really true, per the Carnival rep, that they don't ask about or care about my table size preference? I'm an experienced cruiser and I always double check with the maître d' about table size anyway, but now I really HAVE to go sit around and wait my turn to confirm the table because how can they read my mind? How could the not care about my preference? This is the first cruise out of 70+ it's happened on and also the first cruise I've booked on the Carnival site. Also the last--back to the travel agent, even the online discount ones.

I'll report back on the outcome. :)

I ended up not emailing the maître d' because I forgot to emphasize my original point: is it really true, per the Carnival rep, that they don't ask about or care about my table size preference? I'm an experienced cruiser and I always double check with the maître d' about table size anyway, but now I really HAVE to go sit around and wait my turn to confirm the table because how can they read my mind? How could the not care about my preference? This is the first cruise out of 70+ it's happened on and also the first cruise I've booked on the Carnival site. Also the last--back to the travel agent, even the online discount ones.

I'll report back on the outcome. :)

I've never had Carnival ask my table size preferences.

I've never had Carnival ask my table size preferences.

Thanks for the reply, Baymax. I just find this odd...it signals to me that it's more about Carnival's convenience than the cruiser's optimal experience. I don't like that signal, but I'm not going to let it affect my enjoyment.

The Maitre D on the Inspiration is very accommodating. You xan check out your seating assignment at 130 and if you aren't satisfied he will change it for you. I have traveled solo several times on the Inspiration and Imagination out of Long Beach and have always been (automatically) seated with a group of people. It was always with other solo travelers and a combination of friends/siblings traveling together. It seems they have taken care that I was never at a table with all lovey-dovey couples.

Fair winds and following seas!

While we prefer a larger table (to make new friends), we also see the merits (and have enjoyed) a 2-top. We've never asked for either and have enjoyed what weve been given. You know the old saying, be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

• 2 weeks later...

I promised to report back on my table assignment and here's the outcome.

I did go visit the maître d' ...I got there early but still had to wait about 20 minutes. I had been assigned a table for 10, and the maître d' said 7 people had been assigned to the table, all "singles." When I went to dinner, it was only me and a very nice man and 8 empty seats staring back at us, not the lively table I'd hoped for.

The next day, in Catalina, I met a fun couple. I asked them how their dining table was and they said, "Terrible!" They had a table for 10 also, with 4 empty seats and 2 couples who didn't speak English.

I joined them for dinner that night, and it was the 3 of us and 7 empty seats but we had a nice bottle of wine and good conversation (and a charmingly gracious waiter.). I dined with them the rest of the trip.

So that's the update.

SO happy to hear that it worked out.

Most cruisers in that situation will opt out of the main dining room after the first night and go to the buffet every night after instead of looking to get it changed.

Did you let the Mairtre de know that you were changing?

SO happy to hear that it worked out.

Most cruisers in that situation will opt out of the main dining room after the first night and go to the buffet every night after instead of looking to get it changed.

Did you let the Mairtre de know that you were changing?

You're so right about cruisers opting for the buffet. I think many people, especially on a short casual cruise like this, never planned on going to the dining room anyway, since Your Time dining didn't seem to be available.

I didn't let the Maitre D' know because 1) I didn't know how the new table would work out 2) He wasn't very friendly or helpful when I checked the table assignment 3) It would have been nice if the Maitre D' had circulated that first night and checked on how things were going but he didn't 4) Had I not joined the other table, I would have discussed the situation with him and asked to move tables or have him add people to our table. As it was, it seemed like I took care of the situation and the only one I felt bad for was the other gentleman who either dined alone or changed tables also.

It would have been nice if the Maitre D' had circulated that first night and checked on how things were going but he didn't .

We have cruised 24 times-- and only once (on Glory) did the Maitre D' come around every single night-- asking questions.

other cruises we saw maybe once or twice but not like the Glory guy.

Hope I'm not high jacking this thread, original ? seems to have been answered. Serene you answered a previous ? for me, thank you, how about this.

Wife and I are waitlisted for early seating on the Splendor, default to late seating if it doesn't go through. Does anyone know what the chances are of getting early seating. Late seating is too late for us and in 17 cruises (all but 2 with Princess) we have never eaten dinner at the buffet, in fact we never eat there except for a quick snack while passing through.

Hope I'm not high jacking this thread, original ? seems to have been answered. Serene you answered a previous ? for me, thank you, how about this.

Wife and I are waitlisted for early seating on the Splendor, default to late seating if it doesn't go through. Does anyone know what the chances are of getting early seating. Late seating is too late for us and in 17 cruises (all but 2 with Princess) we have never eaten dinner at the buffet, in fact we never eat there except for a quick snack while passing through.

Ask to be defaulted for Anytime then.

Take early or anytime and just show up at 6pm

if you do not get early or anytime--see the mairtr de

Edited by serene56

Ask to be defaulted for Anytime then.

Take early or anytime and just show up at 6pm

if you do not get early or anytime--see the mairtr de

Carnival's brand ambassador should be able to assist.

We have cruised 24 times-- and only once (on Glory) did the Maitre D' come around every single night-- asking questions.

other cruises we saw maybe once or twice but not like the Glory guy.

Serene 56, you're right. Before gratuities were automatically added to your room charge, the maitre d's were a lot more passenger-oriented. They'd come around the first night and definitely the last night (when the envelopes were distributed). Now that they're part of the "dining room team" that gets automatic gratuities, they're not that evident. I'm not saying they don't work hard, because they do. They just put their energies in other areas.

Serene 56, you're right. Before gratuities were automatically added to your room charge, the maitre d's were a lot more passenger-oriented. They'd come around the first night and definitely the last night (when the envelopes were distributed). Now that they're part of the "dining room team" that gets automatic gratuities, they're not that evident. I'm not saying they don't work hard, because they do. They just put their energies in other areas.

"I was askeda question yesterday and I wanted to confirm the answer and nits all to do with gratuities. Now in the old system you were encouraged to tip the Maitre D's using the envelopes in the cabin. Starting shortly this will no longer be the case as we are taking the Maitre D completley out of the current gratuity system. They will not be part of the new $11.50 gratuity at all and there will be no announcements or videos that mention you should tip your Maitre D. I cant discuss what has happened but please dont worry, they are happy. Now obviously if you feel that the Maitre D did something special for you or that he or she did an outstanding job then yes, please do tip them but it is no longer expected and the enveloipes will be removed from the cabin staring on the following cruises.

Name Effective date"

I asked to be defaulted to anytime ( which we don't like either, but it is better than late) but it was waitlisted also, and was told we HAD to be defaulted to late.

This is only our 3rd cruise with Carnival, still learning how their systems work. We have 15 cruises with Princess, but it seems we have a more enjoyable time with Carnival as far as shows and entertainment and dinner is a big part of that. I will try to contact Mr. Heald, he was very gracius during our last Carnival cruise celebrating our 25 wedding anniversary.

I asked to be defaulted to anytime ( which we don't like either, but it is better than late) but it was waitlisted also, and was told we HAD to be defaulted to late.

This is only our 3rd cruise with Carnival, still learning how their systems work. We have 15 cruises with Princess, but it seems we have a more enjoyable time with Carnival as far as shows and entertainment and dinner is a big part of that. I will try to contact Mr. Heald, he was very gracius during our last Carnival cruise celebrating our 25 wedding anniversary.

4 days before your cruise post on John Heald facebook page with the date, ship, request and cabin # and he and the Maitre'd will try to work their magic for you...