Anyone just off the Sun Western Caribbean?

rjm11

I am leaving this weekend for the Sun Western Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise- and hoping to get some details before then for planning purposes... I'm curious about a couple things: did they off the Chef's Table dinner (and if so, which night?).... did they offer the BAGS program in Tampa..... and did you use the kids club at all (and what did you think?).

Other thoughts about the cruise are also encouraged... there have been some lukewarm (to say the least) reviews so far, so I'd love the hear what you liked/didn't like...

I just got off the Sun this past Sunday morning. I got to dine with a Ship's Officer through a signup at the Guest Service's desk. It was a random drawing and we got lucky. I didn't notice if there was a dinner offered with the Ship's Captain.

The new menu's have not yet rolled out for the Sun.

I don't have children so I can't speak for the Splash Academy. I also have no idea what the BAGS program is.

Entertainment consisted of the Sun Production Cast doing a couple of different dance shows. There were two comedians and a ventriloquist onboard. Other entertainment consisted of a "Not So Newlywed" gameshow, Dancing with the Stars (Production Cast), Deal or No Deal, Trivia, White Hot Party, Karaoke, a last night variety farewell show... there may have been a few other things I didn't get to.

Bev

I just got off the Sun this past Sunday morning. I got to dine with a Ship's Officer through a signup at the Guest Service's desk. It was a random drawing and we got lucky. I didn't notice if there was a dinner offered with the Ship's Captain.

I don't have children so I can't speak for the Splash Academy. I also have no idea what the BAGS program is.

Entertainment consisted of the Sun Production Cast doing a couple of different dance shows. There were two comedians and a ventriloquist onboard. Other entertainment consisted of a "Not So Newlywed" gameshow, Dancing with the Stars (Production Cast), Deal or No Deal, Trivia, White Hot Party, Karaoke, a last night variety farewell show... there may have been a few other things I didn't get to.

Bev

Thanks for responding! Did you enjoy the cruise? What did you do in each of the ports?

I am leaving this weekend for the Sun Western Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise- and hoping to get some details before then for planning purposes... I'm curious about a couple things: did they off the Chef's Table dinner (and if so, which night?).... did they offer the BAGS program in Tampa..... and did you use the kids club at all (and what did you think?).

Other thoughts about the cruise are also encouraged... there have been some lukewarm (to say the least) reviews so far, so I'd love the hear what you liked/didn't like...

Bags program has been eliminated from all NCL ships as of 11/09

See this : http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/bags

Bev

Was the karaoke only on certain nights? Where was it held? I'm sailing the Thanksgiving cruise too and want to hurt rjm11's ears. :D

Edited by Out to sea!

I was on the same cruise as pnerissa.

There was a Chef's Table being promoted, but since we did not go, I don't know what night it was offered.

I liked the first comedian, but he got off in Cozumel and they brought another one on board, and I did not like him or the ventriloquist. Loved the Rock one, can't remember the whole name, but it was really great.

I think the karaoke is every night, if there are interested people there to participate.

Didn't have kids participating in the Splash program, so can't answer that, either.

They don't call it BAGS program anymore, but I did see in the daily that you could sign up for transportation to the airport. Check the dailies!

Well, cruise was pretty good by our standards .. some little minor issues, but all in all it was a fun time .. we had a meet and greet on the first morning, wife exchanged gifts as did alot of the ladies .. we met alot of the crew, then it was off to the poolside bbq .. lol. We are early risers and we ate breakfast every morning in the Moderno ... we were there at 6:30 am. every morning, first 3 days wasn't busy at all, then people start to find out about it ... (so, keep this a secret) We only ate lunch on sail days on the ship,(the bbq) and on embark day we ate in main dining room for lunch in Tampa port .. try the peanut butter cheesecake (only avail for lunch) order 2 pieces .. lol

The main dining room menus are pretty much the same between both main dining rooms, looks like they drop 3 items and add 3 items each day ..We come to believe they do this to make you consider a specialty restaurant .. we ate Italian restaurant 1 evening, I ate steak in main dining room 4 times, rib-eyes and 1 night NY strip .. and wife ate a variety, Rosemary chicken, salmon, rib - eye, Mahi-mahi , and we ate in buffet 1 night as well .. alot of times we ate desserts in buffet after dinner in mdr (would rate food, service, and presentation ) an 8 ... or so

We did excursions all 4 days, Maya key -- was nice, snorkeling was good, water was clear, food was good for lunch, and bucket of 6 local beers for 15.00 ..... Then we did Barrier Reef & Snorkel Island Beach Break ..

snorkeling was real good, i have pics from both places, part of that excursion is going to Starfish Island .. i found 2 starfish, and this is/was Bannister island ..which is real nice , nice and clean, drinks are 10.00 though .. but the gift shop has Marie Sharp's Belizean Heat hot sauce in a 4 bottle gift pack ...

we bought it and that's only 2.50 a bottle, cheapest we seen it elsewhere was 16.00 and higher .. Then Almaplena, in Costa Maya .. We only seen 2 other couples there .. picture sitting on a 400 yard beach or so and someone bringing you drinks (in a glass glass) (frozen or on the rocks) ... was like the corona commercial .. Then in Cozumel we were off to Nachi Cocom , and all of you here know all about this place ..

The shows were real good, Comedian was real funny, cant think of his name though .. someone will chime in i'm sure.. we also like to go to karaoke and laugh at some and applaud at some .. pools were always clean and the hot tubs are HOT, showers were hot and actually too much pressure if you turn em on all the way

I don't remember this from the last time I was on the Sun. It says:

Known for a premium selection of champagne and vodka,paté,caviar and foie gras. The cool sophistication and charm of this establishment makes it an ideal venue for an intimate cocktail party or reception.

Do they really serve pate, caviar and foie gras? Is there a charge for this?

Thanks!

Harriet

Thanks for responding! Did you enjoy the cruise? What did you do in each of the ports?

I LOVED our cruise. Yes, I did a shore excursion in every port; Roatan = Deluxe Catamaran Snorkel and Sail (awesome); Belize = Lamanai Ruins & River Safari (awesome); Costa Maya = Chacchoben Ruins (phenomenal); and Cozumel = Palancar Reef Snorkel and Playa Mia (good, but far too deep for a decent snorkel)

Bev

Bev

I heard Ronny Borg was the Captain last week. He is very personable.

I got to see my Sun while in Belize last week.

We did the Sharks and Ray Island Getaway and it was great! They both were RIGHT there with us. I never felt unsafe. There were only 18 on the excursion and they divided us into two groups in the water one with each guide. They had buoys on ropes behind the boat that we could use. One group went to the reef away from the boat and saw many interesting things but didn't see any sharks. Our group stayed nearer the boat and the sharks and rays were plentiful. We had a very nice cheap lunch on the island and shopped a bit. It was a long boat ride there and back, but we had plenty of time to shop on the way to the tender. I would totally do it again!

We did the Sharks and Ray Island Getaway and it was great! They both were RIGHT there with us. I never felt unsafe. There were only 18 on the excursion and they divided us into two groups in the water one with each guide. They had buoys on ropes behind the boat that we could use. One group went to the reef away from the boat and saw many interesting things but didn't see any sharks. Our group stayed nearer the boat and the sharks and rays were plentiful. We had a very nice cheap lunch on the island and shopped a bit. It was a long boat ride there and back' date=' but we had plenty of time to shop on the way to the tender. I would totally do it again!

[/size']

This is great to hear- thanks so much. Do you recall whether the lunch place required cash? What kind of stuff did they have? I will have 2 young kids- one can be kind of picky. Were there basic things like fries or chips or something?