Local Bus to Sea Monkey in PV

gtaylor

We've always taken the local bus to the Malecon for shopping and the Cheeky Monkey, but can I assume, from looking at posts and maps, that I can stay on the Centro bus and get off at the first stop as it passes over the river to then walk down to the Sea Monkey?

Then for our return if we choose bus over taxi (undecided at this point) we walk over about four streets to catch the return bus back to the Sam's/Walmart stop?

Really looking forward to the Sea Monkey in a couple weeks.

gary

Yes, bus over the bridge and get off at the first street (A. Serdan) and walk toward the beach & the Sea Monkey.

And you are essentially correct for the return if by "four streets" you mean back up A. Serdan to Insurgentes (the other bridge). Make sure you grab a Blue/White bus as the others may say Walmart but may get there via a side trip through Pitillal first. By the way, those are four really LONG streets after a day in the sun with those dollar adult beverages.

I would taxi back. And to save a couple pesos (dollars), walk across the foot bridge along the beach to get that taxi. The river is a zone boundry for taxi fares.

Enjoy!

Gary, We would make an alternative suggestion...assuming you enjoy some walking. When your bus gets into Centro (downtown) hop off anywhere and then walk downhill to the Malecon (Seawall Promanade). Once you get to our new Malecon, turn left and start enjoying your stroll. When you reach the Rio Cujale you just walk over the pedestrian bridge and after about 100-150 yards you will be at the Sea Monkey. Strolling along the Malecon is a great way to experience some of what this wonderful city has to offer, and the new Malecon is actually quite attractive.

Hank

Gary, We would make an alternative suggestion...assuming you enjoy some walking. When your bus gets into Centro (downtown) hop off anywhere and then walk downhill to the Malecon (Seawall Promanade). Once you get to our new Malecon, turn left and start enjoying your stroll. When you reach the Rio Cujale you just walk over the pedestrian bridge and after about 100-150 yards you will be at the Sea Monkey. Strolling along the Malecon is a great way to experience some of what this wonderful city has to offer, and the new Malecon is actually quite attractive.

Hank

Winner suggestion :D

This is what we always try to do :)

Hank

Thanks.

We've been to PV on cruises 4 or 5 times in the last few years.

We enjoy walking the Malecon from McDonalds to Cheeky Monkey, and did it on two visits last year. We get off the bus at the church.

This time we want to head straight to the Sea Monkey, as we haven't visited there yet.

Depending on our time at the Sea Monkey, we may walk back across the bridge for a bit or visit the Isla Cuale shops again. I've seen some pictures of the new pier, and may head down there instead.

Just trying to have my options ready.

gary

Is there a bus route map?

What is the current fare? I've seen anywhere from 5 to 7 pesos.

About how long will it take to get back to Walmart/the port from old town?

The current fare is 7,50 Pesos per person per ride. (no transfers). It will take about 20 minutes to old town.

Hank

Can you please explain the "new" Malecon? I'm only familiar with the old Malecon in the area of the Cheeky Monkey.

Thanks so much!

Can you please explain the "new" Malecon? I'm only familiar with the old Malecon in the area of the Cheeky Monkey.

Thanks so much!

Ok, I will try. About 3 years ago Puerto Valllarta faced the prospect of hosting some football (soccer for our fellow Americans) matches from the Pan Am Games. The Federal, State, and Local government decided to make some public improvements and the two big projects were rebuilding the Old Town pier (not finished in time) and the Malecon. The Malecon was converted to a beautiful pedestrian street (and most of us hope they keep it that way forever). There were some concerns among long-time fans that the change would be a bad thing and ruin the atmosphere of PV. But, the project turned out to be a great addition to the community and the Malecon is now better then ever with nice walkways, good evening lighting, lots of well cared for vegetation, etc. And yes, the Cheeky Monkey is still there in its normal place opposite the "Ladder Statute" and its owner (Troy) has added the new Sea Monkey which is located just over the bridge on the south side Old Town. The Sea Monkey does also offer the dollar Margaritas and Beer (just like the Cheeky Monkey) and has its own menu of Mexican treats.

So make sure you walk south to the Old Town and check-out the Sea Monkey (with plenty of beach tables) and the new pier.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Ok, I will try. About 3 years ago Puerto Valllarta faced the prospect of hosting some football (soccer for our fellow Americans) matches from the Pan Am Games. The Federal, State, and Local government decided to make some public improvements and the two big projects were rebuilding the Old Town pier (not finished in time) and the Malecon. The Malecon was converted to a beautiful pedestrian street (and most of us hope they keep it that way forever). There were some concerns among long-time fans that the change would be a bad thing and ruin the atmosphere of PV. But, the project turned out to be a great addition to the community and the Malecon is now better then ever with nice walkways, good evening lighting, lots of well cared for vegetation, etc. And yes, the Cheeky Monkey is still there in its normal place opposite the "Ladder Statute" and its owner (Troy) has added the new Sea Monkey which is located just over the bridge on the south side Old Town. The Sea Monkey does also offer the dollar Margaritas and Beer (just like the Cheeky Monkey) and has its own menu of Mexican treats.

So make sure you walk south to the Old Town and check-out the Sea Monkey (with plenty of beach tables) and the new pier.

Hank

Thanks, I hope to visit this November~