Guarantee Balconies, the good and the bad?

We're now in a position to take advantage of short notice bargains and I'd love to hear your good and not so good experiences of balcony gty deals. Are they likely to be obstructed and exactly how obstructed might they be? I figure a balcony is a balcony after all[emoji57]

I gambled on a guarantee balcony on Carnival Spirit and was on level 4, over the back of the boat. I loved it. If you are prone to seasickness it might not be ideal but I was very happy with that cabin.

The whole point of a guarantee cabin is you get what you pay for or better.

If you are happy with any balcony obstructed or partially blocked then go for the guarantee. If it all goes well, you may well end up in a much better unobstructed balcony cabin.:D

We're now in a position to take advantage of short notice bargains and I'd love to hear your good and not so good experiences of balcony gty deals. Are they likely to be obstructed and exactly how obstructed might they be? I figure a balcony is a balcony after all[emoji57]

I used to always do guarantees and never had a bad experience, always seemed to end up with a BA (on Princess).

Due to some health issues have had to become picky (which over the cruises since has cost us a few Grand).

Normally an obstructed means there is a Life boat basically nder you, blocking the view down, not out.

We did it on Celebrity Solstice in Dec, ended up with a deck 6 partially obstructed, which on that ship meant that the top of the lifeboat was In line with the floor of the balcony. So I couldn't look straight down into the ocean but I still had a full view out and up. It was a great saving and we didn't find the lifeboat an issue. Plus it was good only being one floor up from the main public areas.

We did it on Celebrity Solstice in Dec, ended up with a deck 6 partially obstructed, which on that ship meant that the top of the lifeboat was In line with the floor of the balcony. So I couldn't look straight down into the ocean but I still had a full view out and up. It was a great saving and we didn't find the lifeboat an issue. Plus it was good only being one floor up from the main public areas.

I like deck 7 on The solstice but you still may have some life boat issues looking down.

We booked a guarantee for our last cruise and got a BC cabin on Deck 12. Princess only allocates cabins 48hours before sailing so the lead up to the cruise can be a bit tense as you wait to find out what you are allocated. :p

I've got Princess allocations as late as when boarding.

We booked a guarantee for our last cruise and got a BC cabin on Deck 12. Princess only allocates cabins 48hours before sailing so the lead up to the cruise can be a bit tense as you wait to find out what you are allocated. :p

We had our allocation about a week before we boarded when we did the Dawn Top End cruise.

Good to know... I do recall reading somewhere on here that Princess allocates the cabins really late so whilst we were tense, we knew it was coming...:p

Can be anywhere from just after you book to a you bard, with Orincess.

I booked our first X cat on the Solstice for next month and have been allocated Concierge on deck 10 aft, I am ecstatic. I check every day just to make sure it's still there!

Sweet.

Loved our afternoon, nibbles with late dinner.

We asked for a cheese and fruit plate ... nice

I got a Guarantee Suite on Radiance. I was expecting one with an obstructed view but did not mind. Picked it up for $5k for 16 nights (inc Gratuities) so it was a good price.

Ended up having a really great location. My Travel Agent said that the last customer was bumped up to a Grand Suite.

Thanks everyone, no horror stories here so thinking we'll be taking a chance on some good deals[emoji4]

Unless you have motion issues I don't think there are any really BAD cabins.

Sure some will be a little noisier, some the view obstructed, but usually only slightly. Some will suit one person more than others.

For us, it really needs to be mid ship with cabins above and below, preferably within a few cabins of the lifts, but health reasons account for most of that requirement.

I got a Guarantee Suite on Radiance. I was expecting one with an obstructed view but did not mind. Picked it up for $5k for 16 nights (inc Gratuities) so it was a good price.

Ended up having a really great location. My Travel Agent said that the last customer was bumped up to a Grand Suite.

Wow, I suppose if you punt large you may win large but at least you will get the category you paid for.:D

As one who always books gty's when available my opinion is that the good news is that there is NO bad news. You are on the ship.

I had the most obstructed balcony possible on a leg of our Quantum cruise. Life boat davits up to roof level with about a metre or so between and on each side. Even hard to get a photo without seeing them in the frame. Saved a packet. Still had fresh air and natural light and just rolled with it.

:eek:A story about a guarantee offered to us, we have booked with RCI a promenade cabin on voyager we paid $800 each and are happy with the position but noticed that the balconies are now selling at $600 guarantee, no problems we booked and happy with the price we paid when we booked but :rolleyes: we got a call from crown and anchor offering us an upgrade to outside right besides a toilet that is outside the theatre, and it was a ladies toilet so say no more;)

But the cruncher came when she said but if you want we can get you a paid upgrade to a balcony for $150 more each :eek: you have to be joking that would mean that we pay $950 each for a cabin that they are offering for $600

needless to say we declined