Rome...On a September Saturday?

Caravancruisers

One day in Rome is barely enough to whet your whistle, but definitely, I would make a start and plan a longer trip for later. Where to go with only one day depends on your interests. If you are a history buff, I would begin with the Roman Forum and then move on to the Coliseum and the Palentine. From the Palentine, you can get a good view of the Roman Circus (where the chariot races were held).

If you are more interested in art, then the Vatican museum and St. Peters will enthrall and take the better part of the day. Also, try to squeeze in Castle St. Angelo which is nearby to the Vatican.

If you are a fan of contemporary novels, there are organized tours that take you to the most notable sites filmed in The DaVinci Code.

If you are arriving by cruise ship, and you are, in fact, a history buff, consider spending your one day in Ostia Antica, rather than going all the way into Rome. It's the site of Rome's ancient port city and it is better preserved than many of the ancient sites in Rome.

You should enjoy quite pleasant weather in September. Have a wonderful time.

I'm presuming that you're on a cruise which docks in Civitavecchia for a day and therefore you have the option of a Cunard tour to Rome or the option of making your way there under your own steam via Trenitalia...

If the former, there's a Cunard "Rome on your own" tour which is basically a Cunard organised return coach trip with a map thrown in. I've done that twice and the last time, when on QE in October 2015, we stopped and were collected from opposite the Teatro Marcello, which is very convenient (i.e. walking distance) for the Colloseum, Forum and Palatine. There is a combined ticket for all 3 which I think gives you priority admission, which could be very important on a Saturday. It's about 90 minutes each way to and from the port and we had about 6 hours max in the city.

The Cunard bus is expensive but is risk free. However, having read many posts on the ports of call board for Rome, it is clear that many cruise passengers do choose to travel independently to Rome on the train. However, there is always a small risk obtaining to that option in that the ship won't wait for you if your travel plans go awry but it will wait for the Cunard coach. The train is much cheaper but it obviously depends on the level of risk you want to bear.

If you take the coach and are dropped off near Teatro Marcello you can take a cab to the Vatican if that is what interests you or make your way to the Colloseum metro stop (but you will need to change, probably at Termini if my memory serves me).

If you want to see some ruins but don't want to brave the crowds at the Colloseum and Forum, you can walk from Teatro Marcello to the Baths of Caracalla, past the Circus Maximus and then back down towards Teatro Marcello. We did this in 2015 having already seen pretty much all of the other Roman sites and had a leisurely late lunch before the coach return trip. Another option, which you can do easily from the Teatro Marcello are the Trajan Markets.

It could still be very hot in September and there is little shade in the "Centro Storico" so bringing water, sun screen and a hat are essential. I'm not great with hot weather so I aim to see fewer sights at a slower pace, but see them well. As Whirled Peas has already said, you'll be wanting to plan a longer stay.

Can't give you any advice on the quality of Cunard guided tours but sometimes there's one which combines a Colloseum visit with free time.

Rome is fabulous but you can't do it justice in a day - however, if you plan on seeing a couple of sights well, you'll certainly want to go back again for a longer stay.

Hope that helps. Have a great time whatever you do!

All the above is very good advice. For a suggested on your own itinerary, catch the earliest train you can from Civi station. It takes about 50 mins to Termini and from there about a further 10 min walk down via Cavour to the Colosseum / Forum area. After about an hour or so exploring that area take the Metro from Colosseo station (right there) to Spagna station for the Spanish Steps. From there it is about a 5 minute walk down via Condotti to via del Corso, the main retail street in Rome. About halfway up del Corso check your map as the Trevi fountain is on your left. Retrace your steps cross del Corso and a bit further up on the right is the sign to the Pantheon and probably a good place for lunch.From the Pantheon it's another 5 minute walk to Pizza Navona. On the far left side and outside the Piazza there is a taxi rank for your return to Termini. Fare approx. €12. Plan to be back at Termini by 3:00 pm.

Of course it is impossible to see all of Rome in a day, but it is an easy walking city and the big sites are quite close together.

It's all a question of what is most important to you. Spanish Steps has a lot of high end retail nearby, if that is of interest. Both the Pantheon and Piazza Navona are worth seeing. The Pantheon is an exceptional piece of architecture with a great history. Piazza Navona has gorgeous statuary. Both of those locations have a large number of eateries that cater to tourists and offer good, but somewhat standard, Italian fare. Good places to stop for a lunch break.

It really does depend on what resonates with you. I just recommend that you select only a few sites and truly enjoy those, rather than rushing around and trying to see everything. There is no way you are getting all of this in with only 6-8 hours available. You will have to pick and choose, and simply plan a longer trip to Rome. It's truly a spectacular treasure trove of historical and artistic venues. We have spent a total of 8 days there on two trips, and still haven't seen close to everything the city has to offer.

For a bit more money a lot more Rome can be had. Stefano at RomeCabs can pick you up at the ship, get you to Rome as quick as possible, park right on top of the venues with the permits he has, show you a great lunch place for locals, get you priority entry to the Vatican, colisseum, etc. It is the most you can do in a day and from a private car to boot. Check out RomeCabs on line and get a quote. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Well, it was long time ago, but we really enjoyed semiprivate tour with http://www.driverinrome.com

We (two of us) met 4 other people on Cruise roll call and booked this tour with them. We were picked early in port, brought to Rome and shown most of highlights (including visits to Colosseum, Sistine Chapel etc.

Price was reasonable and our guide-driver was very knowledgeable. He grew up in Canada till 16 yo so his English is native.

What we liked about this tour aside from all highlights is that size of our van allowed to bring us close to all POI. We were tired as it is (and we were in our very early 30-ies), but we really felt for passengers of cruise ship excursion, who were brought on large bus and herded everywhere. They looked very tired.

That's true. And the private car drivers (RomeCabs drivers speak pretty good English-much better than my Italian) and the private cars (with the magic permit disc) can seem to park right on top of the sidewalk, etc. Really saves steps. It's just me but had I already spent thousands on a flight/cruise, I would try to make the most of my one day in Rome. Not spend it hanging about train stations. Again, just my peculiarity.......:cool:

We have been to Rome twice and both times booked a Cunard trip. We know it is a little dearer than going on your own, but there is usually 2 guides. One telling you of the history and the other in advance getting the tickets for entry into the various sites. They usually also throw in a lunch in one of the local restaurants. When we went, we did the Colosseum, Trevy Fountain, Vatican Museum and Cystene Chapel, St Marks Bassillica and the ship was waiting for our return over and hour late.

P.S. excuse my terrible spelling on such great monuments.:)