Platinum happy hour on Regal

Cinerama

Another thing that keeps people from using the lounge is what time they like to eat. Early diners don't have the time, especially if they want a table for 2. If you spend to much time in the lounge you'll wind up getting a beeper which will cause a long wait at times and you'll wind up missing the first show. The only time we utilized the lounge is when we didn't care about the show sine we've seen it numerous times.

If they keep the lounge open late we definitely would go after the show. IMO the lounge is great for people who like to eat late.

With all due respect to the posters on this thread, I find $6 for a drink darn cheap. In fact even $8.95. Most bars in my neck of the woods (Montreal, Canada) charge $10 for premium booze or cocktails. Canadian beer usually goes for $5 a bottle with between $7 & $8 for imported beer. And that's not including gratuities which are at your discretion. I have snuck booze onboard in the past but now that I'm platinum I don't find it worth the risk. Cheers!:D

Totally agree, out here in LA and SF I can't get out of a bar for less than $12-$15 a drink. $6, ha! a bargain

Interesting because we have seen it become increasingly crowded on other ships recently. :(

That has been our experience, too.

Another thing that keeps people from using the lounge is what time they like to eat....IMO the lounge is great for people who like to eat late.

We have had friends in the lounge who have had early and late seating. I think perhaps we tend to find other Traditional types like ourselves. :) The Anytime people could run into time problems, I agree. We always do late, and I have seen the production shows so many times, I rarely go anymore. (I'm not crazy about the comedians or magicians, either.) So is it more a question of Traditional vs. Anythime? I don't know.

With all due respect to the posters on this thread, I find $6 for a drink darn cheap. In fact even $8.95. Most bars in my neck of the woods (Montreal, Canada) charge $10 for premium booze or cocktails. Canadian beer usually goes for $5 a bottle with between $7 & $8 for imported beer. And that's not including gratuities which are at your discretion. I have snuck booze onboard in the past but now that I'm platinum I don't find it worth the risk. Cheers!:D

Oh, don't get me wrong...$6 is still cheap for a drink. What I'm disappointed in is how this "benefit" has been downgraded. Princess started this lounge at $2.99 for a drink. At the time RCL and Celebrity's lounge was free. $2.99 was nothing to complain about it was peanuts. Then Princess raised it to $3.99. RCL and celebrity were still free. Getting a little harder to compare the perks. Then Princess raised their prices to $5. Guess what? Celebrity and RCL still free and now were hearing it's gone to $6. It's not that $6 is a lot to pay for a drink, it's cheap compared to land prices, I totally agree. But I feel my "perk" has gone.

Edited by Cruise Junky

Oh, don't get me wrong...$6 is still cheap for a drink. What I'm disappointed in is how this "benefit" has been downgraded. Princess started this lounge at $2.99 for a drink. At the time RCL and Celebrity's lounge was free. $2.99 was nothing to complain about it was peanuts. Then Princess raised it to $3.99. RCL and celebrity were still free. Getting a little harder to compare the perks. Then Princess raised their prices to $5. Guess what? Celebrity and RCL still free and now were hearing it's gone to $6. It's not that $6 is a lot to pay for a drink, it's cheap compared to land prices, I totally agree. But I feel my "perk" has gone.

Your "perk" was never an official one, it was, and thankfully still is, just an added bonus. If you check the CC benefits list, there is no mention of these "special" cocktail lounges, the drink specials or the free appetizers for Platinums or Elites. You may feel your "benefit" has been downgraded, but when it wasn't even an official benefit to begin with, I personally wouldn't look the gift horse in the mouth...

Your "perk" was never an official one, it was, and thankfully still is, just an added bonus. If you check the CC benefits list, there is no mention of these "special" cocktail lounges, the drink specials or the free appetizers for Platinums or Elites. You may feel your "benefit" has been downgraded, but when it wasn't even an official benefit to begin with, I personally wouldn't look the gift horse in the mouth...

I never said it was part of the captains club benefits.

That has been our experience, too.

We have had friends in the lounge who have had early and late seating. I think perhaps we tend to find other Traditional types like ourselves. :) The Anytime people could run into time problems, I agree. We always do late, and I have seen the production shows so many times, I rarely go anymore. (I'm not crazy about the comedians or magicians, either.) So is it more a question of Traditional vs. Anythime? I don't know.

What get me is that the comedians NEVER change their routine. We hadn't seen one in 5 years & went to the show only to hear the same exact jokes over again with only 2 new Obama jokes thrown in. That night we would have been better off going to the last 30 minutes of the lounge for a drink.

• 3 months later...
No. Princess doesn't call it Happy Hour. What they're referring to is the Platinum/Elite "lounge" which offers any one of six drinks for $5 although you can order anything you want at regular prices and there are special hors d'oeuvres. Regular drink prices are $6-8.95. Unless you're Platinum or Elite, you don't have to worry about the specially-priced drinks.

The Platinum/Elite "lounge" is held in either Club 6 or the Vista Lounge, depending on the number of Platinum/Elite onboard.

How are you advised of the location? Is it in the Patter or do you get a personalized invitation?

Another thing that keeps people from using the lounge is what time they like to eat. Early diners don't have the time, especially if they want a table for 2. If you spend to much time in the lounge you'll wind up getting a beeper which will cause a long wait at times and you'll wind up missing the first show. The only time we utilized the lounge is when we didn't care about the show sine we've seen it numerous times.

If they keep the lounge open late we definitely would go after the show. IMO the lounge is great for people who like to eat late.

Yes we are early eaters so don't get the chance of meeting fellow plats at this time. What price the drinks be they 5 or 6 bucks, petty cash within the overall cost of the cruise.;)

How are you advised of the location? Is it in the Patter or do you get a personalized invitation?
You should receive an invitation in your cabin. If you don't, ask the steward.

Can you get a plate of appetizers to take back to your balcony? We are new platinum members and really enjoy our “Happy Hour” on our balcony.

I don't see why not. I've never seen anyone checking.

Priorities. :) I'd rather spend $5 for a drink, get 250 free Internet minutes, save $100+ on unlimited laundry and save 10-20% on my cruise fare and get OBC and perks than get a free drink that I may or may not want.

Well Said Pam. We agree holheartedly!!

• 1 month later...
My widowed mother (82 years old) is Platinum, I am still Ruby. She will want to go to this event (she has had a 2 finger Jack Daniels Every night for the last 50+ years), but would want me to join her. Would that be a problem? Is this definitely a No - go for a Ruby?

Look at it this way if they don't let her in they'll lose your business as well (and most times it's not crowded anyway).;)

My widowed mother (82 years old) is Platinum, I am still Ruby. She will want to go to this event (she has had a 2 finger Jack Daniels Every night for the last 50+ years), but would want me to join her. Would that be a problem? Is this definitely a No - go for a Ruby?

Many times they do not check the cruise cards. If they do, just show your Mom's card.

On our last two cruises they only checked one or two nights and only one person's card of our party of four. On one of the short Ruby cruises there were a small group of young people who were all Blue cards who they let in. I guess it depends on the cruise.

If you are ordering the $5 drink of your day, use your mother's card to get that price.

Yes, you'll have to use your mother's card to get the discount on BOTH drinks. If you use your card for your drink, you will be charged full price. On the Golden a couple of weeks ago it was still $5, but that was only for the drink special that day. They changed their policy of allowing you to get any of the special drinks, they offer during the voyage. The $5 price only applies to THE SPECIAL OF THE DAY, NOT the one of your choice. So if you order a Margarita on Mojito night, you will be charged at the regular rate.

I have friends currently on the Crown who have confirmed such on their voyage.

Edited by Ahhh