Hampton Inn/Hilton Garden Port Shuttle

For anyone who has stayed at the Hampton or Hilton on Staten Island and used the port shuttle. I know that I must schedule the time I want to go to the port. No problem there. But I think I remember that you also schedule the time for pick-up at the port. How does it work? Do you have to call the hotel when you arrive in port? What time is a good pick-up time to schedule? We will be doing normal disembarkment.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

DH and I have used this shuttle twice. The schedule book for the shuttle opens up about a month before the cruise. You have to call the Hilton to make your reservation for the drop off at the ship. Call as early as possible because the shuttle gets booked up fast. The last time we used it, the driver decided there were too many people and too much luggage for all of us to fit on one shuttle, so he called the Hilton and requested a second shuttle. We made our pick up time reservation once we were at the hotel for the cruise. We stayed the first time at the Hilton and the second time at the Hampton. We self- disembarked two years ago and scheduled the pick up at 9 AM. We were off the ship and back at our car by 9:30 AM. We used the restrooms and hit the road for our trip home. It worked out well. Have the Hotel number with you so that you can call the hotel for them to come and pick you up. You can use your cell phone to find out where the driver will pick you up. Sometimes, he is one of the numbered drop off points and other times they pick you up at the end of tented area. The phone works well to make contact with the hotel and driver. Hope this helps. Any other questions, just ask.

DH and I have used this shuttle twice. The schedule book for the shuttle opens up about a month before the cruise. You have to call the Hilton to make your reservation for the drop off at the ship. Call as early as possible because the shuttle gets booked up fast. The last time we used it, the driver decided there were too many people and too much luggage for all of us to fit on one shuttle, so he called the Hilton and requested a second shuttle. We made our pick up time reservation once we were at the hotel for the cruise. We stayed the first time at the Hilton and the second time at the Hampton. We self- disembarked two years ago and scheduled the pick up at 9 AM. We were off the ship and back at our car by 9:30 AM. We used the restrooms and hit the road for our trip home. It worked out well. Have the Hotel number with you so that you can call the hotel for them to come and pick you up. You can use your cell phone to find out where the driver will pick you up. Sometimes, he is one of the numbered drop off points and other times they pick you up at the end of tented area. The phone works well to make contact with the hotel and driver. Hope this helps. Any other questions, just ask.

Yes, I do have questions.

We will be at the Hampton and were wondering if the shuttle comes to the hotel or do we need to walk over to the Hilton?

Did you schedule your 9am pickup before the cruise or when you arrived?

What time did you schedule your embarkation day shuttle and what time did you arrive at the ship?

What was the earliest time to book and the latest time to book?

Thanks for your information.

OK, questions one by one.

1.We stayed at the Hampton the last time we used the shuttle service. They pick you up at the Hampton. You just wait in the lobby and the driver comes in and calls your name.

2. We scheduled our 9 AM pickup after the cruise after we arrived at the Hampton for our stay. We did it as soon as we checked in. The lady at the desk called the Hilton for us and had our names put on the post-cruise pickup list. Remember to have the hotel telephone number with you so you can call and tell them you are ready to be picked up and so you have contact to find out where to meet your driver. I am not sure if you can schedule the post-cruise pickup time for when you make the original reservation for the shuttle. That would be nice. I might try it this next August when we are staying at the Hampton again.

3.The trip over to the ship the day of the cruise was a bit more difficult. When I called a month ahead of our departure, they already had quite a few bookings. I think they give priority to the Hilton Guests. I believe we were put on the 10:30 AM shuttle to the ship. It is about a 15 minute ride, depending on traffic. We arrived at the pier and the driver unloaded out luggage which the porters took right away to be place on the ship. We went, with our carryon's, and checked in. We were onboard by 11:30 AM, plenty of time for lunch.

4. I think that 9 AM is the earliest time you can book the shuttle. Usually, you cannot board until about 10 or 10:30 at the earliest, depending on the previous guests exiting the ship.

I think the last shuttle is the 10:30 AM. That last shuttle will pick up anyone who is still at the pier. Usually, RCCI asks all previous guests to vacate their staterooms by 8 AM and be off the ship by 10 AM so they can prepare the ship for the next group of passengers.

One more nice things about the Hampton is the free breakfast you get with your room. It is served in the lobby and there is plenty of items to choose from. There is everything from fresh fruits salad to a waffle machine. They have cold cereal, hot cereal, eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, toast muffins, juice, coffee, tea, etc. It is a really good start to a great week.

Any other questions?

OK, questions one by one.

1.We stayed at the Hampton the last time we used the shuttle service. They pick you up at the Hampton. You just wait in the lobby and the driver comes in and calls your name.

2. We scheduled our 9 AM pickup after the cruise after we arrived at the Hampton for our stay. We did it as soon as we checked in. The lady at the desk called the Hilton for us and had our names put on the post-cruise pickup list. Remember to have the hotel telephone number with you so you can call and tell them you are ready to be picked up and so you have contact to find out where to meet your driver. I am not sure if you can schedule the post-cruise pickup time for when you make the original reservation for the shuttle. That would be nice. I might try it this next August when we are staying at the Hampton again.

3.The trip over to the ship the day of the cruise was a bit more difficult. When I called a month ahead of our departure, they already had quite a

few bookings. I think they give priority to the Hilton Guests. I believe we were put on the 10:30 AM shuttle to the ship. It is about a 15 minute ride, depending on traffic. We arrived at the pier and the driver unloaded out luggage which the porters took right away to be place on the ship. We went, with our carryon's, and checked in. We were onboard by 11:30 AM, plenty of time for lunch.

4. I think that 9 AM is the earliest time you can book the shuttle. Usually, you cannot board until about 10 or 10:30 at the earliest, depending on the previous guests exiting the ship.

I think the last shuttle is the 10:30 AM. That last shuttle will pick up anyone who is still at the pier. Usually, RCCI asks all previous guests to vacate their staterooms by 8 AM and be off the ship by 10 AM so they can prepare the ship for the next group of passengers.

One more nice things about the Hampton is the free breakfast you get with your room. It is served in the lobby and there is plenty of items to choose from. There is everything from fresh fruits salad to a waffle machine. They have cold cereal, hot cereal, eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, toast muffins, juice, coffee, tea, etc. It is a really good start to a great week.

Any other questions?

No more questions. Enjoy your August cruise.

Thank you for all of the information. It is really helpful and very much appreciated.

I just noticed you are going on the NE/Canada cruise. We will be on the later one. Can't wait. Should be wonderful.

Edited by luvscruising2007

We are staying at the Carlson Country Inn and Suites and have stayed there several time pre cruise.

I have a question about the Hampton. Is there a charge for the port shuttle and is there a charge to leave your vehicle parked there?? Carlson offers packages that include parking and transportation. THANKS

The Hampton Inn provides a complimentary shuttle to Cape Liberty and free parking for the cruise.

What date are you looking at? The main issue is that the Bayonne Bridge is scheduled to be closed for 8 weekends this year. It will be closed May 3-4. Normally the shuttle from Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens would go across the Bayonne Bridge. I'm assuming they will still shuttle folks via the Goethals Bridge, but no one knows. Perhaps we will get some feedback from folks cruising next weekend on Celebrity.

I think it's a fairly safe assumption that they'll continue to offer the shuttle service at the times when the Bayonne Bridge is closed because they also shuttle guests to and from EWR, and I can pretty well guarantee they use the Goethals Bridge for that route regardless .

The Hampton Inn provides a complimentary shuttle to Cape Liberty and free parking for the cruise.

What date are you looking at? The main issue is that the Bayonne Bridge is scheduled to be closed for 8 weekends this year. It will be closed May 3-4. Normally the shuttle from Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens would go across the Bayonne Bridge. I'm assuming they will still shuttle folks via the Goethals Bridge, but no one knows. Perhaps we will get some feedback from folks cruising next weekend on Celebrity.

torpeedo is on the same cruise we are on. We sail on a Thursday and return on a Saturday. Will we be affected by the bridge closure or will they be finished by then.

Yes I am on the Sept 11 and also on the Sept 6th:D. The price at the Hampton is much better than the Carlson Country inn. For the two of us to park and cruise with transportation to the port it's $249 plus taxes etc which comes to about $300. PS I assume the return shuttle is complimentary also?? or do you need a taxi to get back? THANKS!!

The return shuttle is complimentary as well. The Hampton should be a better deal even after you pay the extra toll to cross to Staten Island. Coming from the south you can offset part of the toll cost by getting off the turnpike at exit 10' taking the Outerbridge Crossing, and crossing Staten Island on route 440.

Thanks Carol, I think we will look into this hotel. I noticed that they also provide a shuttle to the Staten Island Ferry if we are feeling peppy enough to go into the city!! Probably not likely but you never now! An extra coffee might help..:o

• 3 weeks later...

Was there only one shuttle time from the Hampton to Cape Liberty cruise terminal or was there different times?

I called and was told that those that book the hotel, park and shuttle get preference for the shuttle.

She also told me it only seats 11 people. Can you confirm any of this?

There is one shuttle service that serves both the Hampton Inn and the Hilton Garden Inn. There are at least two vehicles that they use for the shuttle. I think they book the shuttle every hour between 9 and noon. One time when we used it, our driver said there were too many people and too much luggage. He made a phone call and a second vehicle showed up to take the overflow. I would say it is about an 11 seat van they use but they seem to get everyone over to the port in time. We did the 11 AM shuttle the last time and walked right into the port, through check in, and into the waiting area for the ride to the ship. It was very easy. We got onboard just in time for lunch. Good planning.

There is one shuttle service that serves both the Hampton Inn and the Hilton Garden Inn. There are at least two vehicles that they use for the shuttle. I think they book the shuttle every hour between 9 and noon. One time when we used it, our driver said there were too many people and too much luggage. He made a phone call and a second vehicle showed up to take the overflow. I would say it is about an 11 seat van they use but they seem to get everyone over to the port in time. We did the 11 AM shuttle the last time and walked right into the port, through check in, and into the waiting area for the ride to the ship. It was very easy. We got onboard just in time for lunch. Good planning.

Thanks for this info. :) The girl I spoke with at the Hampton Inn today implied there was only 1 shuttle and 1 time. She did mention it was an 11 seater van. I will call again tomorrow and book the hotel. Sounds good to me as we will be driving for this cruise and plan on leaving the vehicle at the hotel.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Just an update.

We checked in last night at the Hampton and asked to confirm our shuttle time. Agent said we weren't booked under the "cruise/park package" so it would be an extra $70.

I pointed out that we had a reservation with a guaranteed price and I had already booked a reserved time on the shuttle. Never once was a $70 charge mentioned. She phoned a manager who waived the $70 charge.

Just went through their reservation process and there is no option to book a "cruise/park package". There is no mention of a "cruise/park package" anywhere on the website but apparently you are supposed to realize there is a charge and call the hotel to have the charge added after you make an online reservation ...

Their website references the shuttle in a couple of places, the most comprehensive details are here: Our hotel is just minutes and a free shuttle away from Newark Liberty International Airport and Downtown Manhattan.

Here's my advice. Reserve the Hampton online. Call the Hilton to make your shuttle reservations (if you call the Hampton they'll transfer you to the Hilton). When you check in do not mention the cruise or the shuttle. Show up for the shuttle at your arranged time.

IC

P.S. They open up the shuttle reservations on the 1st of the month for the following month. On Sep 1st we were able to book our Oct 23rd shuttle to the port. On Oct 1st we were able to book our Nov 1st shuttle from the port.

Thanks for the update. Folks have recently reported that they started to charge for the shuttle, but it sounds like it's not yet well coordinated with preexisting reservations. Unfortunately, they will soon probably figure out how to charge everyone.

IMO it's time to explore other Staten Island options. Both Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express are offering cruise packages with port transportation, but no one has posted about using them.

Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites Staten Island do have a package that includes parking and transportation to Cape Liberty, but you have to book using the specific promotion code L-OY .

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/resources/media/gi/EWRSIGI/en_US/pdf/en_EWRSIGI_CruiseWithEasePackage_August2014.pdf?cid=OH,GI,ewrsi,CruiseWithEase,LRR1,Home

One thing contributing to the confusion is that the package is listed on the Hilton Garden Inn's website, but not the Hampton Inn's website.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else recently having issues with getting the free shuttles to and from the port if you didn't book under the above referenced reservation code which includes the shuttle and parking? I don't need parking but do need the shuttles. I was wondering if these hotels are now requiring the reservation to be made under the package code if one doesn't need parking and just the shuttle. If I will be charged $70 more just for the shuttle service, will have to reconsider whether I want to stay at the Hampton Inn. Thanks.

Anyone else recently having issues with getting the free shuttles to and from the port if you didn't book under the above referenced reservation code which includes the shuttle and parking? I don't need parking but do need the shuttles. I was wondering if these hotels are now requiring the reservation to be made under the package code if one doesn't need parking and just the shuttle. If I will be charged $70 more just for the shuttle service, will have to reconsider whether I want to stay at the Hampton Inn. Thanks.

When you call the Hilton to book the shuttle they won't ask whether your reservation at the Hampton includes the cruise package.

When you check in at the Hampton don't mention the shuttle, just show up outside the door at your reserved time.

When you call the Hilton to book the shuttle they won't ask whether your reservation at the Hampton includes the cruise package.

When you check in at the Hampton don't mention the shuttle, just show up outside the door at your reserved time.

Thanks for your response. I saw your earlier post about this subject and appreciate the instructions. Did you park at the hotel?

Edited by kiyoko

Yes we parked there.

When we checked in we inquired about our shuttle reservation and were told we would be charged $70.

I pointed out that the charge wasn't mentioned anywhere on the website, the package was not available when booking online, and the charge wasn't mentioned when I booked the shuttle. They waived the charge.

If I hadn't mentioned the shuttle when checking in we wouldn't have had an issue.