Alaska 2016 - HAL Hurry UP!

qsuzi

I appreciate the link but I'm having trouble understanding the schedules. We want to take the 14 day round trip from Seattle in August 2016, but I can't tell which dates are available.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

I'll give it a try. Alberta said it is the Maasdam doing the 14 day departing from Seattle starting August 1. The schedule confirms the Maasdam in Seattle August 1 and based on this information it would be August 1, August 15, and August 29. After you select your departure date just look at the next 13 days after that to see what port you will be in.

Edited by qsuzi

I'll give it a try. Alberta said it is the Maasdam doing the 14 day departing from Seattle starting August 1. The schedule confirms the Maasdam in Seattle August 1 and based on this information it would be August 1, August 15, and August 29. After you select your departure date just look at the next 13 days after that to see what port you will be in.

That thinking assumes the ship would be doing only 14-day cruises. Do we know that will be the case?

When HAL first started the 14-day cruises to Alaska a few years ago, one ship did do the run for the entire summer. I expect HAL was having trouble filling the ship every time, as after about three years, the last sailing had a lot of unsold cabins, and the itinerary wasn't offered the next year.

Last year the itinerary returned, but only once a month. The rest of the time the same ship did a 7-day round-trip out of Seattle.

That thinking assumes the ship would be doing only 14-day cruises. Do we know that will be the case?

When HAL first started the 14-day cruises to Alaska a few years ago, one ship did do the run for the entire summer. I expect HAL was having trouble filling the ship every time, as after about three years, the last sailing had a lot of unsold cabins, and the itinerary wasn't offered the next year.

Last year the itinerary returned, but only once a month. The rest of the time the same ship did a 7-day round-trip out of Seattle.

That's a good point Ruth. But there are two other things that support the Maasdam doing the 14 day RT Seattle. First, if you follow the calender Alberta posted it tracks to at sea and various different ports before returning to Seattle on August 15 and August 29. Second, if you look at the HAL sailing schedule through May 2016 only, it shows the Maasdam doing 14 day RT Seattle (Alaska). Hoping HAL makes all this official soon and if anyone else has a resource to confirm please do so. I only tracked the calendar for August. NOTE: Don't know how reliable the calendar is? Does anyone have the HAL Sailing Schedule past May 2016?

Edited by qsuzi

Actually, I didn't say that it would start in August (at least, that's how I read your first sentence above). The Maasdam starts sailing the 14 day itinerary on May 23rd. But the rest of your post is correct for the sailing dates in August for Maasdam.

Jim, if you look at the August schedule, you'll see that Maasdam is in either Seattle or Anchorage every Monday from May 23rd until the end of her season.

It does appear that the Maasdam is doing only 14 day Alaska cruises, like the Statendam is doing this year.

As to whether this document is final, I think we should assume that there could be changes, at least until HAL posts their Alaska itineraries.

Actually, I didn't say that it would start in August (at least, that's how I read your first sentence above). .

You are so right and I apologize for my miswording/error. Jim was asking about August so I meant looking at the calendar starting August 1.

Jim, if you look at the August schedule, you'll see that Maasdam is in either Seattle or Anchorage every Monday from May 23rd until the end of her season.

It does appear that the Maasdam is doing only 14 day Alaska cruises, like the Statendam is doing this year.

As to whether this document is final, I think we should assume that there could be changes, at least until HAL posts their Alaska itineraries.

Thanks for taking the time to post this information. I hope HAL opens their 2016 schedule soon!

I am "holding" another line for right now, since HAL has not opened bookings, and i am getting a pretty sweet deal, so I too am dying for them to open up!

They might have lost me since they waited soooo late! UNLESS they can beat/match this deal I found on the "other" line. :rolleyes:

p.s. Disney prices are OUTRAGEOUS!:eek:

I know I should be patient and keep waiting since HAL has the 14 day cruise and none of the others offer it. But . . . I'm getting really frustrated. :mad::(

I've seen another cruise that looks really good. I might go with it instead of waiting any longer.

You are now speaking with Marlene!

Marlene: Good afternoon!

Marlene: What can I do for you today?

Customer: Alaska sailings 2016 being loaded any update when out?

Marlene: They should be out by the middle to end of next week.

I know I should be patient and keep waiting since HAL has the 14 day cruise and none of the others offer it. But . . . I'm getting really frustrated. :mad::(

I've seen another cruise that looks really good. I might go with it instead of waiting any longer.

Jim, while the HAL booking rep can't book now he/she can give you ship and sailing date information plus prices shown (temporary hold prices). I spoke with 1‐877‐932‐4259. I want to see a smile on your face. :)

Edited by qsuzi

I'm going to give chat a try tomorrow. Can you please explain about temporary hold prices? It would help me to understand what it is and how it works before I try "chat."

I'm feeling encouraged now. :)

Edited by JimAOk1945

Originally it was set to be tomorrow but looks like next Wed/Thur they'll be uploaded.

The schedule has been available for a while though. Just had to find the PDF and extrapolate from those given dates.

I'm going to give chat a try tomorrow. Can you please explain about temporary hold prices? It would help me to understand what it is and how it works before I try "chat."

I'm feeling encouraged now. :)

I'm so glad you saw the post Jim. The information available includes prices but the representative said those may not be the actual prices when you are able to book the cruise of choice. The prices I checked were the same for August 20 and August 27 and were VERY high IMHO. Here are the per person total prices (include taxes and fees) she gave me: Cat SC $2,937.67; Cat SB add $200; category SS $2,437.67. Based on that you would think the Verandah cabins would be about $600-$700 less.

Edited by qsuzi

Originally it was set to be tomorrow but looks like next Wed/Thur they'll be uploaded.

The schedule has been available for a while though. Just had to find the PDF and extrapolate from those given dates.

Thanks for the information. If you have the PDF will will please link or post it.

Welcome to Holland America Line. We offer Chat service in English only. Please wait while we contact our next available agent...

"You are now speaking with Chris!

Chris: Hi, how can I help you today?

Customer: Last week I was on N. Amsterdam and the FCC indicated Alaska 2016 would be available for booking today, 3/27/15...any updates?

Chris: Sure, I would be happy to help. Unfortunately we were unable to get the schedules for 2016 as early as we wanted to. We are hoping by June 2015, if not sooner."

Just now.

Trout

Welcome to Holland America Line. We offer Chat service in English only. Please wait while we contact our next available agent...

"You are now speaking with Chris!

Chris: Hi, how can I help you today?

Customer: Last week I was on N. Amsterdam and the FCC indicated Alaska 2016 would be available for booking today, 3/27/15...any updates?

Chris: Sure, I would be happy to help. Unfortunately we were unable to get the schedules for 2016 as early as we wanted to. We are hoping by June 2015, if not sooner."

Just now.

Trout

JUNE?! That's ridiculous!

JUNE?! That's ridiculous!

Just another example of how the answer you get from individual Customer Chat and also Booking Representatives can vary. I think the information provided by sppunk is more likely; it agrees with the information I was given. P.S. The HAL site now lists 2016 months for 9-16 day durations only for Alaska but it does not produce any results.

Edited by qsuzi