What if??--re airline strike

FritzG

We're booked on a United codeshare flight to Copenhagen operated by SAS. Our flight to Dulles is operated by UA, and I've read that the pilots are threatening a strike. If that occurs would we be able to drive to Dulles and just take the Dulles to CPH flight as long as we contacted UA first? It's about an 7 hour drive, but it would be worth it to us to make the SAS flight.

Pilots at United Continental Holdings on Tuesday voted to authorize a strike, showing their growing frustration after failing to agree on a contract after two years of talks with management.

Still, the vote makes a work stoppage far from certain. Federal law makes it difficult for airline unions to strike, and the White House can intervene to stop any walkout in the interest of keeping U.S. commerce going

Can't answer your question. Usually, if you miss the first leg of your flight, your entire ticket will be cancelled. Personally, I would not be losing sleep over this, but just keep checking the news and UA's webpage.

I will note that for those flying UA, many travel insurers will no longer cover your flights if you didn't purchase travel insurance before 07/17/12.

Still, the vote makes a work stoppage far from certain. Federal law makes it difficult for airline unions to strike, and the White House can intervene to stop any walkout in the interest of keeping U.S. commerce going

As you commented, most strike threats are merely that; saber-ratting by the unions.

That said, Federal law requires the normal attempts at mediation, cooling-off periods, etc. I'm not sure where things are at in the process, but if those steps have already been taken by UA and the union, the next step could be a strike.

I speculate a strike would have to bring the entire airline system to a halt for the President to intervene. Also, thwarting the efforts of employees and their union in favor of a large corporation would be very bad pre-election strategy for the White House.

thwarting the efforts of employees and their union in favor of a large corporation would be very bad pre-election strategy for the White House.
My take....

The math would have to be one of union members that you lose by intervening vs traveling public that you lose by not intervening.

Given the number of passengers on UA per day, almost 400,000 in 2011, I would think that number would trump the union considerations.

My then again, that's just my $0.02 worth.

My take....

The math would have to be one of union members that you lose by intervening vs traveling public that you lose by not intervening.

Given the number of passengers on UA per day, almost 400,000 in 2011, I would think that number would trump the union considerations.

My then again, that's just my $0.02 worth.

That could also be true, so who knows? Probably depends on who pays their spin doctors more $$.

Any idea when this strike is supposed to happen?

My brother is a pilot for United and has been working for the union since the first of the year organizing this stike. It will happen, it's just a matter of timing. Unfortuantely, he won't even tell his wife what the dates are! I personally won't book with United until the stike is resolved though.

Just got word from my brother that United has come to terms with the pilots and there won't be any strike. Safe to travel with them again!

Indeed, the strike is now a moot point as an agreement has been reached. No strike, and there would not have likely been one to begin with anyway.

Archived