Le Havre France: Just a Day in Paris

tourismtessy

On our British Isles Cruise last year aboard the Ruby Princess, we took the ships excursion into Paris. It was a great day and I shared about it on my blog. Click below for the link to read and see pics of our day:

http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/just-a-day-in-paris-france

I also have some general cruising posts you may enjoy reading:

http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/category/cruising

I use this forum for all my research before every cruise and find it invaluable. Thank you to all that contribute here. Your input is so greatly appreciated.

Edited by tourismtessy

• 4 weeks later...
On our British Isles Cruise last year aboard the Ruby Princess, we took the ships excursion into Paris. It was a great day and I shared about it on my blog. Click below for the link to read and see pics of our day:

http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/just-a-day-in-paris-france

I also have some general cruising posts you may enjoy reading:

http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/category/cruising

I use this forum for all my research before every cruise and find it invaluable. Thank you to all that contribute here. Your input is so greatly appreciated.

Sounds like my kind of day. You almost have me convinced. Have to see what RCCL will be charging when we are there next May. Thanks Heather

Just another opinion from two Paris lovers. If the only way you can ever experience Paris is on a day trip from Le Havre (where up to 6 hours is spent in transit) then that is fine. But Paris is a fantastic city that is worthy of a lengthy stay (even 1 week is not enough). On our last cruise that stopped in Le Havre (last year on the Ruby Princess) we jumped off the ship one day before the end (the ship was finishing the next day in Southampton) and then took the train down to Paris for a week in a condo (rented online). Having been to Paris numerous times, even this week was not nearly long enough :).

Hank

If doing a British Isles cruise why not add on a few days in London and visit Paris on Eurostar? Yo could spend a couple of nights there and manage to actually see something of the city.

If the ship is docking in Le Havre there is plenty to see which is a lot closer than Paris.

This will be our first visit to all stops except Fort Lauderdale. We are doing a TA cruise with Le Havre the 3rd stop of 5 and finishing in Copenhagen before doing a 7 day Norway cruise. My sons #1 wish is to see the Eiffel tower. I want to visit Norway since my birth father was suppose to have been from there but I will definately enjoy all the stops. He gets 4 weeks off & with 1 night in Florida before & l night in Copenhagen after 2nd cruise not much time left.

Heather.

Edited by bunnyrab

This will be our first visit to all stops except Fort Lauderdale. We are doing a TA cruise with Le Havre the 3rd stop of 5 and finishing in Copenhagen before doing a 7 day Norway cruise. My sons #1 wish is to see the Eiffel tower. I want to visit Norway since my birth father was suppose to have been from there but I will definately enjoy all the stops. He gets 4 weeks off & with 1 night in Florida before & l night in Copenhagen after 2nd cruise not much time left.

Heather.

Well, given those circumstances you certainly should get to Paris and see that tower (it is impressive). You have several alternatives including an RCI Excursion, just taking the train on your own, joining a private tour/transfer, or simply renting a car and driving (we do not recommend this for a port day to Paris).

Hank

Well, given those circumstances you certainly should get to Paris and see that tower (it is impressive). You have several alternatives including an RCI Excursion, just taking the train on your own, joining a private tour/transfer, or simply renting a car and driving (we do not recommend this for a port day to Paris).

Hank

RCI wants $142.68 Cdn. ea. for what appears to be transportation only to & from Paris. At this point I am leaning towards taxi &( train 36-39E = $60.00- 65 Cdn. ea. ). Any idea how much a taxi would cost to train from port?Have to do more homework. Would love a Rome in Limo type tour if affordable. Most people on our rollcall are interested in Normandy for the day.

RCI wants $142.68 Cdn. ea. for what appears to be transportation only to & from Paris. At this point I am leaning towards taxi &( train 36-39E = $60.00- 65 Cdn. ea. ). Any idea how much a taxi would cost to train from port?Have to do more homework. Would love a Rome in Limo type tour if affordable. Most people on our rollcall are interested in Normandy for the day.

Whichever method you choose to get to Paris, make certain you have tickets for entrance for the Eiffel Tower purchased beforehand. You can purchase the tickets directly from the Eiffel Tower website.

I seem to recall others talking about taking a ship's tour and they had the choice of visiting the Eiffel Tower or going to the Louvre. Maybe you can do a little more searching here. Probably another ship but you never know.

The train station is less then 2 miles from the port. So assuming the taxi runs the meter the fare should not be much more then 10-12€. But there is some reluctance on the part of some taxi drivers (at the port) to take this short haul. We had several taxis refuse before we found one taxi willing to do the short haul.

If you do take the train to Paris, and are not familiar with the city, we strongly suggest you get yourself a decent guide book (we love the Rick Steves books) with maps (including the Metro maps). When you get to Paris you are at the Gare Saint-Lazare. This station is not convenient to most of the popular tourist areas so you would want to immediately use the Metro to get closer to wherever you want to go. It is essential that you know which Metro Line, how to buy tickets, etc.

And if you are thinking of just grabbing a taxi at the Gare Saint-Lazare...think again. The last time (a year ago) we took the train to Gare Saint-Lazare we had just left a cruise in Le Havre and were on our way to our condo in Saint Germain des Pres. When we went outside the station to the taxi queue there were about thirty folks waiting for taxis of which there were none. After 10 min, when only 2 taxis had stopped at the station we decided to leave and drag our luggage a few blocks to a regular taxi area (far away from the station). After walking about 3 blocks we stopped at a taxi area and were able to get a taxi in 5 min. What a pain.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 4 months later...

WE are also planning to do this same thing-get off in Le Havre and take the train to Paris. Can you please give us more info on your experience. Is the train station close to the port, how is the shcedule, how ong is the train trip, what station in Paris does it end in, cost of trip. THank you for any info you can share.

I am as thrifty as the next cruiser but Newbies to Paris should consider doing a ship sponsored Paris excursion due to travel time. City is big and overwhelming with just a travel book as guide. Subways are full of pickpockets just waiting for you.Watch them get off trains,take $ from your stolen wallet and throw wallet on ground. They then jump the turnstyle and do it again on next train. Caught one with his hand in my jeans pocket.I always wear moneybelt under undies so they have never robbed me.You will spend too much time and effort between sights. Let the bus driver take the stress, drive you to sights and get you back in time on a beautiful coach with guide.

For those who have done the ship excursion into Paris (thinking Eiffel Tower), how un/bearable is the long ride back and forth? We just realized last week just how distant it is from Le Havre and I'm up for it, but my husband says "no way".... We did go into Florence and Rome from the ports, but those aren't as far and not sure they compare? Thanks for your thoughts! [emoji5]️

Edited by hun

We have taken the train many times with no issues. From the port it is a long walk (seems like nearly 2 miles although it is actually a little closer) to the station. If the weather is good and we are in the mood, we have done this walk (great exercise). Otherwise, you should try to share a taxi from the port. If you are 60+ do go into the ticket office and ask for the Senior Fare (it saves about 25%).

When you return to the station, the taxi stand is located on the side of the station (turn left when you exit the main doors and then left again around the side of the building.

Hank

Hank

Do you mind mentioning the street your condo was on in St. Germaine and how you found it? I always stay in that area on Rue Jacob or Rue de Seine and am looking for a condo nearby as an alternative to expensive hotels. I prefer that side of the Blvd closer to the Seine.

Thank you,

Anne

• 5 weeks later...
HUN, One thing nice about ship tours, you can go alone, not get lost, mugged, or late in returning .Hubby can stay on ship. Plenty of amiable company on coach too.

Ha ha true! I floated that idea and now he's coming on the bus too! I had hoped to add on a few days at the end of our cruise to go to Paris for a few days, but it looks like the port day is our only option for this trip.

NCL offers a Paris day that has a Seine lunch ($70 more) and one without - I've read reviews that the Seine cruise is better as you see more - more does anyone have experience in knowing

Edited by hun

Hank

Do you mind mentioning the street your condo was on in St. Germaine and how you found it? I always stay in that area on Rue Jacob or Rue de Seine and am looking for a condo nearby as an alternative to expensive hotels. I prefer that side of the Blvd closer to the Seine.

Thank you,

Anne

It was on the Rue Guenegaud very close to the Seine. If you want to pinpont the place it was right across the street from the Night Owl (which shows on Goggle Maps).

Hank