New cruiser questions

soobs

We board the QM 2 for transatlantic 12.12.11, my OH wants to buy a red bow tie and cummerbund to wear as an alternative to the usual black tie.

I'm not sure about the red, is this a good idea or should he save his money?

Also how many hangers are in the wardrobes B2?, I usually pack with hangers on the clothes makes it quick to unpack but I could do with not adding any extra weight due to 23kg limit flying home.

When will we find out who the speakers will be on board?

Having read captainpugwash's report it appears I will be okay to take some champagne or wine with me for drinking in the room before we go out in an evening

Hello Soobs

We board the QM 2 for transatlantic 12.12.11, my OH wants to buy a red bow tie and cummerbund to wear as an alternative to the usual black tie.I'm not sure about the red, is this a good idea or should he save his money?

It is a matter of personal taste of course. Nothing on earth would get me to wear anything but black with a black dinner suit(tux). Colours may clash with a wife or partner's clothes, black is understated, quiet (doesn't make a man draw attention to himself), classy and classic.

Think James Bond not Coco The Clown.

Any man looks good in "Black Tie" just as women look amazing in a "classic black dress".

Having said that I've seen every colour under the sun on board (up to and including rainbows!). Others will, of course, have different views!

Also how many hangers are in the wardrobes B2?, I usually pack with hangers on the clothes makes it quick to unpack but I could do with not adding any extra weight due to 23kg limit flying home.

I've always found that there are MORE than enough hangers for two people in all the cabins I've been in. Many have two or three hangers on one "hook" as it were. I would be amazed if you needed to take any. About half have clips for trousers/skirts.

Before my most recent transatlantic crossing in May this year, the speakers were listed in the Cunarder Magazine (if you can get to see one) and also shown on the Cunard website for each crossing. Try this link and enter your sailing date...

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Enrichment-Programmes-/

Having read captainpugwash's report it appears I will be okay to take some champagne or wine with me for drinking in the room before we go out in an evening

Yes, no issue at all.

Have a fantastic crossing, Bon Voyage!

Leave your hangers at home . If you need more onboard ask your steward for them.

Speakers on your cruise may be found on the Cunard website . Under Enrichment Programmes .

Don't worry so much about what is correct formal wear . I never go beyond a dark suit for Formal nights .

Well I hope your looking forward to your voyage, as a diamond member I have seen many people with many different bow ties,, I always take Black, Burgundy and a couple of mixed colours, I promise you that many people do take them and your Husband will be fine.

I really dont like using the double hangers and nothing worse than finding the hanger only take a shirt and not trousers.but just ask and they appear

the champers is not a problem, we take on 12 bottles with us, fine for the cabin and for up on deck on a nice day, they will charge you $20 corkage in the restaurant.

have a great time, this october will our 16th cunard voyage and looking forward to wonderful Back to back, no flying:)

Leave your hangers at home . If you need more onboard ask your steward for them.

Speakers on your cruise may be found on the Cunard website . Under Enrichment Programmes .

Don't worry so much about what is correct formal wear . I never go beyond a dark suit for Formal nights .

Your right, a dark suit and tie is fine for formal and for semi formal nights, having a great time is the main thing

We board the QM 2 for transatlantic 12.12.11, my OH wants to buy a red bow tie and cummerbund to wear as an alternative to the usual black tie.

My husband had a red silk bow tie and hankerchief for our xmas cruise last year. I think red is christmasy and as you are going in Dec i think it a lovely idea to have an alternative. I wore a red dress when he had his red tie on. Maybe that is sad but hey i liked to co-ordinate:D

I found there to be sufficient hangers. We took wine and champagne onboard with no problem. We carried it as hand luggage.

I think the surprise of who the speakers are adds to the excitement of the cruise/voyage.

Julie

My husband had a red silk bow tie and hankerchief for our xmas cruise last year. I think red is christmasy and as you are going in Dec i think it a lovely idea to have an alternative. I wore a red dress when he had his red tie on. Maybe that is sad but hey i liked to co-ordinate:D

I found there to be sufficient hangers. We took wine and champagne onboard with no problem. We carried it as hand luggage.

I think the surprise of who the speakers are adds to the excitement of the cruise/voyage.

Julie

And im sure you both felt wonderful, re the champers, your right, best to take it on as hand luggage

You will see mostly black ties but people do vary the colour so he won't be alone.

I bought Mr H a new tie onboard last year - we had several formal nights over a 24 day voyage and it made a change for him to wear a dark patterned tie (very small pattern obviously :eek:) and he looked very handsome!

I am sure you will have a great time! QM2 is lovely. :)

Thanks for the replies.

OH said he's going for the red bow tie, we will see if he wears it!!!! being the build up to Xmas it will look okay I guess.

I am glad I can take some wine on board with me I like a glass or two while getting ready to go out for the evening and as I have lemonade with it I can bring my cheap plonk along and save monies ready for the nice plonk I like with my meals.

Gutted I am not on the October crossing when Murray Walker is on board!! full list not available yet for 12.12.11 crossing.

Thanks for the replies.

OH said he's going for the red bow tie, we will see if he wears it!!!! being the build up to Xmas it will look okay I guess.

I am glad I can take some wine on board with me I like a glass or two while getting ready to go out for the evening and as I have lemonade with it I can bring my cheap plonk along and save monies ready for the nice plonk I like with my meals.

Gutted I am not on the October crossing when Murray Walker is on board!! full list not available yet for 12.12.11 crossing.

I for one am very pleased to hear that he wear his red bow tie and as you say it is Christmas, we are on the Back 2 back along with MW, should be a good speaker

• 4 weeks later...

I like colourful bow ties, usually wear a silk bow tie and matching handkerchief that matches Jayne's formal wear colours :D

And also like to fly the flag occasionally :D (Always used for xmas and new years cruises)

b0b8404f.jpg

I do have a black bow tie, although I do prefer a more colourful one :o

Soobs go for the red bow tie and cummerbund ;)

Andrew

Nothing wrong with a red bowtie & matching cummerbund. I have those myself & mix & match for formal nights. I'm just surprised I'm the only one who sports a bowler(derby) on formal nights.

Nothing wrong with a red bowtie & matching cummerbund. I have those myself & mix & match for formal nights. I'm just surprised I'm the only one who sports a bowler(derby) on formal nights.

I'm not. Aren't bowlers considered work wear? I wouldn't think that any hat were traditional with a tux except maybe a homburg worn with an overcoat until you got to whatever fabulous event you were heading to, at which point you would hand said hat and overcoat to the cloakroom attendant...

Archived