Best, least expensive thing to do in Cozumel!

guitargal168

Hi all!

So, heaven help me, my Girl Scout troop wants me to take them on ANOTHER cruise! :eek:We went last year on a quick 3 night trip to the Bahamas. We're now in the process of planning a 5 night cruise for 2015 with a stop in Cozumel and another in Grand Cayman. This will be their last trip together before they graduate high school! As you can imagine….it takes a whole lotta cookies to pay for this and we are trying to figure out the least expensive options. We've got some ideas for Grand Cayman, but I'd love some of Cruise Critic's outstanding expertise on Cozumel! Thanks in advance!

Hi all!

So, heaven help me, my Girl Scout troop wants me to take them on ANOTHER cruise! :eek:We went last year on a quick 3 night trip to the Bahamas. We're now in the process of planning a 5 night cruise for 2015 with a stop in Cozumel and another in Grand Cayman. This will be their last trip together before they graduate high school! As you can imagine….it takes a whole lotta cookies to pay for this and we are trying to figure out the least expensive options. We've got some ideas for Grand Cayman, but I'd love some of Cruise Critic's outstanding expertise on Cozumel! Thanks in advance!

Can you give some indication of how big the group will be and ages? Do you want something fun and active, cultural or nature orientated?

Sure! We will be a group of 11 or 12 total. We have 8 girls who will be 16 & 17 yrs old at the time of sailing & We're open to any ideas at all. This trip will take place in May of 2015 so, we've got time to weigh all our options! Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Taxi to the Money Bar (two van cabs should hold your group for about $3 per person -- prices may change by May of 2015) -- and enjoy great snorkeling from the shore. No admission, good food, drinks, & service, good facilities, and rental gear & guides if you need them.

After a few hours taxi back to the pier for shopping and then do your best to herd them onto the ship.

Be warned that the drinking age of 18 in Mexico is widely ignored -- you will need to keep a close eye on 16 & 17 year olds.

Edited by JohninDC

I agree with going to the Money Bar. It's not really a bar- more of a restaurant that serves drinks. Snorkeling there is great (many boats use it as a stop as part of their 3-reef tour). Cheap taxi; free use of chairs- reasonably priced food and drinks (their menu is online).

If any of the girls are not good swimmers though it might not be idea.

If you want more of a beach day, and less snorkeling- Paradise Beach is only $3 entry per person. It is more if you want to use the inflatable toys.

These girls will DEFINITELY not be without adult supervision so drinking is just not going to happen! (not on my watch anyway!)

I saw pictures of the Money Bar. Some of the comments about the difficulty swimming there have me a little nervous about bringing the girls. Is there another place to snorkel that we can get to with minimal cost?

Any other ideas? Cozumel stop is 11-8. I'm planning on having them shop early so that we can stay close to the pier and head back to the boat for lunch. Then try and head over somewhere to either swim (Any other info on Paradise Beach?), snorkel OR something else? We can probably spend about $25/30 per girl.

Playa Mia. Paradise Beach (more boys there,LOL:D). Mr Sanchos (boys there too:D). Water toys abound at all of these, too. Or, if you want to have a little quieter beach near these look up Corona Beach Club. All have websites. You'll probably need 2 van taxis (6-8 people). So figure $120 + tips RT for both taxis to any of these.

Edited by crewsweeper

I saw pictures of the Money Bar. Some of the comments about the difficulty swimming there have me a little nervous about bringing the girls. Is there another place to snorkel that we can get to with minimal cost?

Any other ideas? Cozumel stop is 11-8. I'm planning on having them shop early so that we can stay close to the pier and head back to the boat for lunch. Then try and head over somewhere to either swim (Any other info on Paradise Beach?), snorkel OR something else? We can probably spend about $25/30 per girl.

Swimming at the Money Bar is not an issue - you just need to be careful entering the water. No place with a nice sandy beach and any waves will have good snorkeling; the sand and waves cloud the water and there are no rocks & reefs for the little fish to hide in.

Check your times - if you are cruising from the east cost many ships stay on FLA time which is an hour ahead fo Coz, so you may be in port 10-7 Coz time.

Mr. Sanchos is likely your other best bet - no admission fee, taxis will probably run about $5 per person each way, and they can spend the extra $12 to jump on the water toys if they want. Food/drinks there are priced about the same as you will find at any other beach club.

Definitely take them into town to walk around and shop. It's a really fun, safe town that has a lot of cool little stores to wander around. Food is also widely available and cheap. Even if it's a snack or something. It's a bit of a walk (about 2 miles) from the ships so you might want to taxi into town and then walk back. It's a really nice stroll back along the oceanfront (sidewalks all the way).

There's a lot of fun activities on Cozumel, but they will cost some cash. The personal mini-subs (underwater scooters) for example is something that they will remember for ever, but they run about $79 pp. Not too bad, but not cheap. Coool experience though. There are also the Dune Buggies, which you can put 4 people into an that's also a really fun day. Lots of things to do other than just hanging at a beach.....but maybe they would enjoy that, I don't know as I am not a 16 yr old anymore :)

We have really enjoyed Playa Uvas. They have a bigger beach area than Money Bar with loungers, hammocks etc. The cost is $12 per person, but that includes rental of snorkel equipment, a guided snorkel tour and one free drink (soda incl.)

http://www.playauvas.com/

Also,agree with Money bar, but disagree that swimming can be an issue. The boats that come in to bring people up don't always pay attention to the snorkelers. You do have to be careful.

If you want to spring for extra money, Chankanaab Park may be more appropriate, or maybe Paradise Beach. I can see teens getting bored at Money Bar unless they are into snorkeling.

Definitely take them into town to walk around and shop. It's a really fun, safe town that has a lot of cool little stores to wander around. Food is also widely available and cheap. Even if it's a snack or something. It's a bit of a walk (about 2 miles) from the ships so you might want to taxi into town and then walk back. It's a really nice stroll back along the oceanfront (sidewalks all the way).

Agree with mrsfuzzmo, in the way to town there is a small free beach where you can make a stop if you want to relax, get wet and refresh, is called Caletita,

Esta.jpg.4ca8d00fe13afe91361fc21f8c2de42e.jpg

409320474_yesta.jpg.420a4848c601b2ab0122e578cfd3a678.jpg

OP - Paradise Beach might be a good option. There is a really nice pool there for those who don't want to swim in the ocean. There are lots of lounge chairs in both the sun and shade, something for everyone. There is free wifi too. It's our favorite low cost place in Cozumel.

Added URLs

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d574699-Reviews-Paradise_Beach-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Edited by Grannycb