Are TA's getting cheap with perks for solo travelers?

iamirish

I have found that my TA has stopped giving me anything. I usually travel solo, maybe with some other solo friends of mine.

My TA has not sent me a bottle of wine or anything for the past year.

There are two solo's and a couple thinking about a Carnival Cruise to Mexico in November or December (waiting for a price drop).

You thoughts?

I know you can't post info about your TA or you will get a "time-out".

my e-mail address is iamirish@email.com

Thanks!!

I have found that my TA has stopped giving me anything. I usually travel solo, maybe with some other solo friends of mine.

There are two solo's and a couple thinking about a Carnival Cruise to Mexico in November or December (waiting for a price drop).

You thoughts?

Thanks!!

Hi Tom:)...I usually get some obc from mine.....more than I would

get without using her;).....but if you are unhappy? Shop around.

You thoughts?

Thanks!!

How is the price the TA is giving you? I would rather get a great price and no bottle of wine!

My next cruise I have no OBC but saved hundreds off of what Princess was charging.

Reader

How is the price the TA is giving you? I would rather get a great price and no bottle of wine!

My next cruise I have no OBC but saved hundreds off of what Princess was charging.

Reader

I agree - however my soon-to-be ex-TA's rate is the same as the cruise lines website :( :(

Bottle of wine? no way. I often cruise, sometimes alone. I go where I get the best deal. Often where large discount agencies have a group.Always get OBCs. Was recently told by a new agent 5% normal OBC.This was smaller FL agency a friend had used. OBCs usually come out of that particular agents net commission.

Hi Tom:)...I usually get some obc from mine.....more than I would

get without using her;).....but if you are unhappy? Shop around.

My experience is the same as Lois'. I get more obc from my travel agent. I'd much rather have the obc than a bottle of wine or a little travel gift.

And, I agree that you need to shop around. Even if you REALLY like your TA, shop prices (and include the obc) and see if you are getting the best price.

I have some first hand insight into the travel industry, and I can tell you there are a LOT of factors at play here. First, some rate specials rotate between travel agencies, and sometimes the cruise line matches the rate that 's been negotiated with the various agencies. If you're only purpose in using a travel agent is to find the lowest price, you may or may not have success, but it isn't the agent's fault. The advantage of a travel agent, in my opinion, is having someone who knows the industry and is invested in making sure you have a great vacation. The internet doesn't care if you're happy with your cabin, ship, etc... A popular saying...the internet is for looking, a travel agent is for booking. Perks are one of those things that can vary too...based on what is negotiated through the cruise lines and the travel company. Points are assigned for each cruise and those points are what agents use to give perks. I doubt many agents come out of their own pocket to give perks...although for good customers, or big trips, I probably would if need be. I would encourage you to focus more on the level of service your travel agent provides, not the level of savings/perks...although certainly that comes into play if there is a large disparity. Be happy to share more if anyone is interested and want to email me at csbarton at hotmail. Just my two cents...happy traveling!

I have some first hand insight into the travel industry, and I can tell you there are a LOT of factors at play here. First, some rate specials rotate between travel agencies, and sometimes the cruise line matches the rate that 's been negotiated with the various agencies. If you're only purpose in using a travel agent is to find the lowest price, you may or may not have success, but it isn't the agent's fault. The advantage of a travel agent, in my opinion, is having someone who knows the industry and is invested in making sure you have a great vacation. The internet doesn't care if you're happy with your cabin, ship, etc... A popular saying...the internet is for looking, a travel agent is for booking. Perks are one of those things that can vary too...based on what is negotiated through the cruise lines and the travel company. Points are assigned for each cruise and those points are what agents use to give perks. I doubt many agents come out of their own pocket to give perks...although for good customers, or big trips, I probably would if need be. I would encourage you to focus more on the level of service your travel agent provides, not the level of savings/perks...although certainly that comes into play if there is a large disparity. Be happy to share more if anyone is interested and want to email me at csbarton at hotmail. Just my two cents...happy traveling!

Most experienced cruisers actually have no need for cabin/itinerary/cruiseline advice from travel agents. Most already have enough personal experience to know what they want or need. Give me a good price or some decent obc and I'm satisfied. No hand holding required on my part. ;)

Hi Lois! :D

Tony

Many here, although not all, know more about cabin selection, ship or cruise line advantages and which to avoid. I'm sure there are many TA's who do have a lot of knowledge, I just know that I usually know more than the agent who is trying to sell me. At this point, after more than 25 cruises, I only use a TA if the price, net of additional OBC, is better than booking direct.

Most experienced cruisers actually have no need for cabin/itinerary/cruiseline advice from travel agents. Most already have enough personal experience to know what they want or need. Give me a good price or some decent obc and I'm satisfied. No hand holding required on my part. ;)

Hi Lois! :D

Tony

Many here, although not all, know more about cabin selection, ship or cruise line advantages and which to avoid. I'm sure there are many TA's who do have a lot of knowledge, I just know that I usually know more than the agent who is trying to sell me. At this point, after more than 25 cruises, I only use a TA if the price, net of additional OBC, is better than booking direct.

Exactly. Many of us here really need no assistance from TA's. The downside to using one is you cannot speak directly to the cruise line if you want. You must go to TA, TA to cruise line, TA back to you...... nuisance.

After over 80 cruises on HAL, I seriously doubt there is a TA out there who knows much more about their ships than I do. :D

I book on ship so that I get the best deal I can at that time (plus usually the cruise line discounts for loyalty program and OBC).

I then transfer my booking to a great agent I have been using for about 3 years. I get the same benefits from his agency as any other traveler - solo or not. I do this so that I don't have to call the cruise line. I don't want to talk to a different person every time and get a different answer. I like to email my agent and make any/all changes his issue.

So far (knock on wood) it has worked for me and he has been excellent on getting price drops (I use the fishy site for monitoring, having saved the cost more than two years ago), upgrades and dining preferences changed.

I don't use my agent for choosing cabins or cruises. But since I travel a lot, I don't have to worry about changes or missing payment deadlines or ....

-Holly

who knows that other people's mileage may very