Gluten Free on Norwegian Breakaway?

KarenCM

Does anyone have experience sailing the Norwegian Breakaway that has Celiac Disease? I am booked on the Breakaway May 2016 and just want to put my mind at ease on how they handle gluten free. I would mostly be using the main dining room. I just sailed on the Crown Princess and learned that I need to bring more gluten free snacks with me as selection was limited for me late at night.

Karen

you must inform access desk. accessdesk@ncl.com

They send you a form, which is then sent to the ship. A restaurant manager meets with you when you board to discuss what they offer and answer any questions. O'sheehans might be able to get hold of late night snacks for you - but that is something you can ask when you meet the restaurant staff,

As a dietitian - I always tell people the worse place for cross contamination will be the buffet.

When we were on the Getaway, we met with the restaurant manager the first afternoon at lunch in the dining room. He said my DH could preorder his meals in the MDR's the day before or would have to visit the specialty restaurants early in the day if we wanted to preorder those dinners. My DH doesn't like to do that, so we just let our waiter know each night that he needed gluten free. It seemed we had to let the waiters know in the specialty restaurants, whereas the waiters in the MDRs already knew about it.

He did eat in the buffet for some breakfasts and lunches and didn't get sick. He chose things he knew would be safe - fresh made omelets for example.

O'Sheehan's was open 24 hrs - you just need to tell the waitperson you need gluten free and they will let you know what is safe.

Also, the first few days of the cruise, someone called each afternoon to make sure everything was going ok.

Good luck!

Edited by OneParticularHarbour 71

When we were on the Getaway, we met with the restaurant manager the first afternoon at lunch in the dining room. He said my DH could preorder his meals in the MDR's the day before or would have to visit the specialty restaurants early in the day if we wanted to preorder those dinners. My DH doesn't like to do that, so we just let our waiter know each night that he needed gluten free. It seemed we had to let the waiters know in the specialty restaurants, whereas the waiters in the MDRs already knew about it.

He did eat in the buffet for some breakfasts and lunches and didn't get sick. He chose things he knew would be safe - fresh made omelets for example.

O'Sheehan's was open 24 hrs - you just need to tell the waitperson you need gluten free and they will let you know what is safe.

Also, the first few days of the cruise, someone called each afternoon to make sure everything was going ok.

Good luck!

Was the meeting a pre-arranged meeting? Just asking as my husband has a fish allergy and we need to also meet someone - access desk are aware, just wondering if they contacted you pre-boarding to arrange or do we just ask once on ship?

Was the meeting a pre-arranged meeting? Just asking as my husband has a fish allergy and we need to also meet someone - access desk are aware, just wondering if they contacted you pre-boarding to arrange or do we just ask once on ship?

No, it was not pre-arranged. We went to lunch in the MDR on the first day. The manager came over to see how everything was - he had a clip board with him and asked for our cabin number. He said he had us on his list and said he would have contacted us later in the day but since we were already there, he let us know what was available for DH.

No, it was not pre-arranged. We went to lunch in the MDR on the first day. The manager came over to see how everything was - he had a clip board with him and asked for our cabin number. He said he had us on his list and said he would have contacted us later in the day but since we were already there, he let us know what was available for DH.

Brill. 😊

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from the Gem a couple days ago. We are frequent cruisers, and I must tell you that NCL handled my gluten-free needs better than any of the others we've experienced (Celebrity and RCI). They assigned a special needs rep to us, and every single night at dinner, she met with us during dinner and took our order for the following morning's breakfast and dinner. Most of the time, we passed on breakfast, because bacon and omelets are very safe for me.

We ate like a king and queen and felt very special, and she was wonderful. Her name is Christer.

I would like to take the Breakaway to Bermuda, but I am nervous and have the same question as the OP, about other NCL ships meeting our needs so well.

I can't recommend the Gem enough for special needs dining :)

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

I don't have Celiac but do have a gluten sensitivity. I completed the form before my Jade sailing last year and when I boarded there was a note in my cabin to go to Guest Services to meet with the restaurant manager. He talked to me about where I was eating (I had UDP so was eating in specialties) and he came to see me the first evening when I ate at Cagney's to make sure everything was being handled for me. At each restaurant, the wait staff went over the menu with me to let me know which items would be safe for me to eat. Happily, I didn't get sick the entire cruise and I felt it was handled really well.

Communication is key. Be sure to complete and submit the form and meet with restaurant manager when you board. They'll take care of you. :D

• 3 months later...
Does anyone have experience sailing the Norwegian Breakaway that has Celiac Disease? I am booked on the Breakaway May 2016 and just want to put my mind at ease on how they handle gluten free. I would mostly be using the main dining room. I just sailed on the Crown Princess and learned that I need to bring more gluten free snacks with me as selection was limited for me late at night.

Karen

Hey Karen,

I am on the same cruise as you, in the same type of cabin, and I have Celiac Disease also. We should get together and maybe eat together, if you are interested.

I planned on eating in the dining room, the noodle place and the sushi place. Asian are the easiest for me, but I love anything.

RRB (Michelle)

Hey Karen,

I am on the same cruise as you, in the same type of cabin, and I have Celiac Disease also. We should get together and maybe eat together, if you are interested.

I planned on eating in the dining room, the noodle place and the sushi place. Asian are the easiest for me, but I love anything.

RRB (Michelle)

Wow! That is great Michelle, see you in less than two months.

• 1 month later...
Wow! That is great Michelle, see you in less than two months.

Thanks for the bracelet and earrings! I can't find you on fb. Get in touch - enjoyed our cruise and eating together (when we could). Thanks for helping make the vacation even better!

Michelle (RRB)

• 3 weeks later...

How was your gluten free experience? My daughter and I both have celiac and I am debating booking a ncl cruise. We have sailed Disney twice and they set the bar so high! I went on the oasis after Disney and they were terrible with gf so I am hesitant to book .

You know, I'm guessing this issue may be hit or miss on each individual sailing, probably based on Hotel Director, Restaurant Managers, waiters, etc.

I have a friend with Celiac disease. She Saild the NCL SUN in Alaska, she said they were terrible at working with her and accommodating her. She is also a very experienced NCL cruiser

Early May, we cruised RCI Allure of the Seas. They were top Notch and her choices were absolutely amazing. Everything was noted with her cabin # and name. No matter where we dined, they were aware. They liked when pre orders were done, but accommodated her even if a pre order the night before was not done.

So like I said, my conclusion is: Try to prepare, notify access desk, meet with Restaurant manager when you board. Hopefully all will work out great! Good Luck everyone

How was your gluten free experience? My daughter and I both have celiac and I am debating booking a ncl cruise. We have sailed Disney twice and they set the bar so high! I went on the oasis after Disney and they were terrible with gf so I am hesitant to book .

We sailed on CCL last summer and they were very good about gluten free diet for my daughter who has celiac. From reading here about NCL, it sounds like the process is the same. Notify NCL when you book your cruise. Meet the Maitre D' after you board and discuss the menu options. Then nightly, your waiter will bring over the menu for the next night and they should prepare it for you.