Any solos ever been upgraded from an inside?

towel-animal

Hello CC!

I'm looking to book a spring cruise on the Epic as a solo (sailed her once before in a studio and LOVED it!).

For the cruise I'm looking at, looks like there's only about a $100 price difference between an inside with the solo supplement versus a studio.

I know that when significant price reductions occur after final payment, sometimes NCL will be generous and offer an upgraded room at little or no upcharge (I know they're not required to do anything after final payment).

Just curious if anyone originally booked solo in an inside has ever been offered an upgrade to ocean view or balcony? That's the only reason I can think of to go for the inside versus the studio.

Just curious if anyone originally booked solo in an inside has ever been offered an upgrade to ocean view or balcony? That's the only reason I can think of to go for the inside versus the studio.

Yes, I once received such an upgrade on the Star, from inside to ocean view, while traveling solo. It cost me $10 bucks extra. :-)

Naturally, your mileage may vary...

This is ideal for me to answer, as I just got upgraded on tomorrow's sailing from Southampton from a T1 studio GTY to a BA balcony. The stateroom assignment only showed up last minute though, about 20 minutes after Getaway left Rotterdam about an hour ago.

This is ideal for me to answer, as I just got upgraded on tomorrow's sailing from Southampton from a T1 studio GTY to a BA balcony. The stateroom assignment only showed up last minute though, about 20 minutes after Getaway left Rotterdam about an hour ago.

Wow! Were you automatically assigned the upgrade, or did you call and request it?

Ceejmaster there are other good reasons to save money and go inside.having sailed in both cabin categories twice,I prefer the inside to the studio.

Insides have a refrigerator,36 more square feet,a larger closet,shower and loo.

Counter space and night stand.of course the studios have the mood lighting and a better tv and the lounge,but the solo gathering at 530 is open to all regardless of cabin categories.i always make friends with fellow passengers in the studios and have had no problem getting into the lounge anyway.

I am in a studio on the Breakaway 2 night CTN this coming weekend. When prices dropped, my TA called NCL to try and get me OBC and I was offered free upgrades to a balcony and then a minisuite. I opted to stick with the studio as a solo traveler, but could have easily upgraded.

Whether or not you would be upgraded will depend largely on how well the cruise sells, and then also on how diligent you are in tracking prices and following up with NCL.

On the Breakaway in September- I checked a week before and could get a BX for $63 more or a BD for $105 more.

It ended up being BD (perhaps BB) middle of the 10th floor balcony.

Some people who paid more for the studio were able to get an even swap.

I would recommend checking on your own vs. waiting for a call.

Wow! Were you automatically assigned the upgrade, or did you call and request it?

I was already on the ship. I saw the upgrade after the ship sailed for the first one night cruise, when I logged in to my Vacation Planner for the sailing. It still stated the former category guarantee booked, T1, but the color of the box behind the category had changed to the upgraded category's color and then they stated the cabin number.

GTY, guarantee, cabins are not for everybody, but as a solo traveler, I have had very good luck with them across all cruise lines. This is especially true when booking late. I usually have a cabin assignment anywhere from the day prior to sailing to about 3-6 weeks out.

This does not always happen though. I booked a 2 night cruise in a balcony GTY on Spirit for next week and it assigned a room in the actual category five minutes after my payment posted.