Wheelchair please?

lovey1103

My hubby and I will be sailing on a Transatlantic in April. I would like to have a wheelchair available for him on an as needed basis due to his medical condition. Does anyone know how I go about renting a wheelchair for a 1 way trip from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen?

Thanks friends :)

While Princess has been so far very gracious about letting DW use one of their chairs, we have found HAL and Celebrity much less so....so we have purchased a chair for her thru Amazon. We found the purchase price of a pretty decent chair to be about what we would pay for a one week rental and airlines fly them for free.

My hubby and I will be sailing on a Transatlantic in April. I would like to have a wheelchair available for him on an as needed basis due to his medical condition. Does anyone know how I go about renting a wheelchair for a 1 way trip from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen?

Thanks friends :)

We bought a real nice one for my Grandma from Walgreens for less then $100

Check with Medicare if you are on it. With Dr.'s help very likely you can get a wheelchair and will have it available when Hubby needs it. The chair will be good also for the long distances between cabin and DR on some of the big ships.

Do your homework and try out the chairs before you leave on the trip. The chair should be comfortable for hubby but also realistically can you push it? Can you fold the chair and lift it into the car trunk? Is Hubby willing to have the chair? Would a rollator with a seat be enough for now (lighter and more mobil)? Your family Dr. or physical therapist is your go to person here or perhaps the wheelchair provider -- they know the rules/paperwork/ and insurance filing methods. I have known some folks who prefer to rent a wheelchair or scooter because they don't want to risk having airlines break the one they own. The people on the board for folks with challenges are full of excellent information. I have never been on a cruise that someone wasn't enjoying their cruise even though their mobility was not the best. Best of luck to you.

I used a wheelchair on my prior cruise on the Ruby Princess. I traveled solo and had to wheel myself all over the ship most of the time. It was very tiring. On my next cruise which is a Transatlantic, I am renting a scooter. It is very pricey and requires a wheelchair accessible stateroom. On another thread I read where people had used a scooter without a wheelchair accessible stateroom. In this case, their stateroom steward arranged for it to be charged outside the stateroom overnight. I suggest checking to be sure this is possible on your cruise.

On the Princess Cruises website, they mention 2 companies for renting various wheelchairs and scooters. These companies will deliver to and pickup from your stateroom.

If your husband will only use the chair intermittantly, then using a commerically available one rather than a custom-fitted one isn't a bad option. I've seen folding wheelchairs at Walgreens, CVS, and Walmart for under $200. You might want to get a pillow, like a memory foam one, to sit on if your husband will be in it for several hours.

If you have your own wheelchair, you know it is available when you need it. If you rent it, the wheelchair will be in your cabin when you board, but you won't be able to use it for embarkation/disembarkation. If your husband needs a wheelchair for those times, there can sometimes be a wait if several other people also request wheelchairs. I'm not sure about the airport in Copenhagen - a wheelchair may be a benefit there also. If you decide to purchase one for your trip but do not want to keep when you return home, many churches and community or senior centers would be happy to receive it as a donation.

I have found several Travel Wheelchairs online for good prices - the wheelchairs are very good quality but not so pricey that if one is damaged in flight you can replace it. I have had one damaged but mostly they go into the body of the plane and come out in pretty good shape.

Travel wheelchairs are lighter weight. Look for one with larger back wheels as they are easier to push.

If your husband will only use the chair intermittantly, then using a commerically available one rather than a custom-fitted one isn't a bad option. I've seen folding wheelchairs at Walgreens, CVS, and Walmart for under $200. You might want to get a pillow, like a memory foam one, to sit on if your husband will be in it for several hours.

If you have your own wheelchair, you know it is available when you need it. If you rent it, the wheelchair will be in your cabin when you board, but you won't be able to use it for embarkation/disembarkation. If your husband needs a wheelchair for those times, there can sometimes be a wait if several other people also request wheelchairs. I'm not sure about the airport in Copenhagen - a wheelchair may be a benefit there also. If you decide to purchase one for your trip but do not want to keep when you return home, many churches and community or senior centers would be happy to receive it as a donation.

I have been provided with a wheelchair for embarkation/debarkation and had no problem getting one when I needed it. There is always a crew member available to push me.

Just make sure you tell the cruiseline that you need one during these times. It will be helpful to the curiseline to know the number of wheelchairs needed.

Eddie,

I deliberately used the term "sometimes" because not everyone experiences a delay. My mom uses her own wheelchair. She does not require someone to push her for embarkation/disembarkation but the cruiselines usually insist on having a crew member push her. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes but we have waited over 45 minutes because several disabled passengers needed assistance in a short time period and there were only a couple crew members available.

Since my mom uses her own wheelchair, we have not personally experienced how long it takes for the cruiseline to provide a wheelchair for embarkation/disembarkation. I have read posts from others that more people than expected needed assistance so they had a long wait for a wheelchair, sometimes requiring them to stand because of lack of seating. Not all terminals have seating available.

I never meant to imply that delays were "always" the case. I thought the OP should be made aware that there could be a wait for a wheelchair. Some people (not sure if this applies to OP's husband) have problems standing for very long. If standing is a problem, the OP and her husband should decide whether having their own wheelchair vs. renting one is appropriate for their situation.

Thanks everyone. My DH has Parkinson's which is unpredictable. A wheelchair will be necessary sporadically when the "gittie up" is not working so well. Do you think I could get a loan from Princess for these sporadic in between times? Not to remove from the ship, only to get to the MDR or the promenade deck etc. I really hate to travel with a chair or pay the price for rental if we only need it a few times.

I am more than capable to push the chair. I am an RN still woring FT.

DH is the unfortunate recipient of young onset PD and manages quite well at 59 years young.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fondly

Katie

Eddie,

I deliberately used the term "sometimes" because not everyone experiences a delay. My mom uses her own wheelchair. She does not require someone to push her for embarkation/disembarkation but the cruiselines usually insist on having a crew member push her. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes but we have waited over 45 minutes because several disabled passengers needed assistance in a short time period and there were only a couple crew members available.

Since my mom uses her own wheelchair, we have not personally experienced how long it takes for the cruiseline to provide a wheelchair for embarkation/disembarkation. I have read posts from others that more people than expected needed assistance so they had a long wait for a wheelchair, sometimes requiring them to stand because of lack of seating. Not all terminals have seating available.

I never meant to imply that delays were "always" the case. I thought the OP should be made aware that there could be a wait for a wheelchair. Some people (not sure if this applies to OP's husband) have problems standing for very long. If standing is a problem, the OP and her husband should decide whether having their own wheelchair vs. renting one is appropriate for their situation.

I am sure you have more experience with cruise lines than I do. I suspect a couple of things can help for embarkation/debarkation. 1. I call Princess Cruises prior to my cruise to inform them of my needs and they put on my record that I need wheelchair assistance for embarkation/debarkation. 2. Once onboard, I make them aware as well. I even get a notice that I will receive assistance from my stateroom steward if there is an emergency. Your 45 minute experience is excessive since groups are moved out of the lounge area every 10 minutes based on your luggage tags. Personally, I would say something to a crew member in your assigned lounge after a 20 minute delay.

I agree that delays can happen. So far, I have been fortunate and have not experienced delays. When I am in the asssigned lounge during debarkation, crew members are very helpful and attentive to my needs. :cool:

Thanks everyone. My DH has Parkinson's which is unpredictable. A wheelchair will be necessary sporadically when the "gittie up" is not working so well. Do you think I could get a loan from Princess for these sporadic in between times? Not to remove from the ship, only to get to the MDR or the promenade deck etc. I really hate to travel with a chair or pay the price for rental if we only need it a few times.

DH is the unfortunate recipient of young onset PD and manages quite well at 59 years young.

Fondly

Katie

Sometimes, I wish I had an attentive RN to help me.

It never hurts to ask for temporary use of a Princess wheelchair. As you know, the answer is always "No" unless you ask. Also, I found many passengers and crew members pushing me to my next destination on the ship, very helpful people on a cruise. But, I have learned that in spite of this great experience it is still very tiring when I need to push myself. Next time, I am using a scooter.

Fondly

Katie

The ship usually only has a few wheelchairs on board and are reserved for onboard medical emergencies. Princess specifically states on it's website that you can bring your own wheelchair or you can make provisions to rent one by contacting either Special Needs at Seas or CareVacations that can be delivered on board the ship. Both of these companies are the approved vendors of Princess and are allowed to deliver directly to the ship.

Bottom don't count on a loaner being provided by Princess Cruiselines. It's the passengers responsibility to provide any mobility equipment that may be needed during the cruise.

The ship usually only has a few wheelchairs on board and are reserved for onboard medical emergencies. Princess specifically states on it's website that you can bring your own wheelchair or you can make provisions to rent one by contacting either Special Needs at Seas or CareVacations that can be delivered on board the ship. Both of these companies are the approved vendors of Princess and are allowed to deliver directly to the ship.

Bottom don't count on a loaner being provided by Princess Cruiselines. It's the passengers responsibility to provide any mobility equipment that may be needed during the cruise.

There is also the rule that only one bottle of wine or champagne per passenger can be brought onboard. But, we know what the actual practice is.

For ease of mind, I would bring my own mobility equipment onboard.

I cruise primarily with Princess and I would not depend on using one of their chairs. They do have chairs that they will loan to people who are mildly injured (like a sprain) on the cruise. The wheelchairs are neither lightweight nor are they new or in good repair. When they are gone they are gone. Everyone I have seen has been what I would call a "clunker". I travel with my scooter, two canes, and a rollator. Since the airlines transport medical equipment I do not find it much of a hassle.

Thanks all.

My TA contacted Princess on our behalf today and was told that wheelchairs are not available.

We will manage with a walker and certainly won't starve if unable to move about.

Instead of a walker, consider a tollalator.

2031608320048441115suMRrL_th.jpg

Rollator?

Thanks all.

My TA contacted Princess on our behalf today and was told that wheelchairs are not available.

We will manage with a walker and certainly won't starve if unable to move about.

I don't want to get your hopes up, but if you go directly to the Purser's Desk right after you board and request one, our experience has been that they will have you sign a waiver and have one delivered to your cabin soon after sailing.

Instead of a walker, consider a tollalator.

2031608320048441115suMRrL_th.jpg

For those that might actually need this item the correct name is ROLLATOR .... Not tollalator

It should also be noted though the Rollator shown has a seat it is not to used as a transport chair . The seat is so the person can stop and rest if needed. This item comes with a safety warning that it's not a transport chair and a person should not be pushed on it. If using it as a transport chair one does so at there own risk.

For those that might actually need this item the correct name is ROLLATOR .... Not tollalator

It should also be noted though the Rollator shown has a seat it is not to used as a transport chair . The seat is so the person can stop and rest if needed. This item comes with a safety warning that it's not a transport chair and a person should not be pushed on it. If using it as a transport chair one does so at there own risk.

Thanks for the correction. I fat fingered that one. I also agree with your other comments. It is a great place to rest while waiting in line or walking a long pier. Folds for storage in cabin or on a tour. Bring bungee cord.

I have found several Travel Wheelchairs online for good prices - the wheelchairs are very good quality but not so pricey that if one is damaged in flight you can replace it. I have had one damaged but mostly they go into the body of the plane and come out in pretty good shape.

Travel wheelchairs are lighter weight. Look for one with larger back wheels as they are easier to push.

Yea, that. Make sure the wheels on travel chairs have the larger stroller type wheels and not he very hard rubber ones on both the front and back. The hard rubber ones don't go over bumps well.

Archived