How to save money when you need an accessible cabin?

jkgourmet

We are a senior couple and do not require an accessible cabin. In 16+ cruises we have nearly always booked an inside guarantee and been quite happy with our assignments. We have ALWAYS been thrilled with the amount of money we have saved by booking this way.

We have friends who also cruise frequently, but require a handicapped accessible cabin. What they pay for similar cruises is shocking when compared to what we pay. They claim it is because they have to book a specific cabin to assure that it is HC accessible.

Are there any cruise lines that allows guarantee bookings (cheaper because no exact cabin is assigned) but will guarantee an accessible cabin? Are there any other cost saving techniques for accessible cabins?

Accessible cabins are priced the same as regular cabins. An accesible inside is priced the same as a regular inside. But there are fewer of them and generally are booked as soon as bookings open. So the only way to save is to book early.

Accessible cabins are priced the same as regular cabins. An accesible inside is priced the same as a regular inside. But there are fewer of them and generally are booked as soon as bookings open. So the only way to save is to book early.

But a "regular inside" is (usually) considerably more expensive than an inside guarantee. Are there any cruuse lines that allow a guarantee booking that assure a HC cabin will be assigned?

PS on our MSC Divina cruise two weeks ago, there were several HC cabins left unassigned in the last few days. I was told that MSC holds out tge HC cabins from general guarantee bookings until the very end just in case they are needed by an HC passenger. Maybe that's required by law for USA departures? Whatever - they were not booked early.

But a "regular inside" is (usually) considerably more expensive than an inside guarantee. Are there any cruuse lines that allow a guarantee booking that assure a HC cabin will be assigned?

PS on our MSC Divina cruise two weeks ago, there were several HC cabins left unassigned in the last few days. I was told that MSC holds out tge HC cabins from general guarantee bookings until the very end just in case they are needed by an HC passenger. Maybe that's required by law for USA departures? Whatever - they were not booked early.

Accessible cabins are no more expensive that non-accessible cabins in the same category particularly if the ship is embarking from a USA Port. Though the EU has different laws generally the same pricing structure applies with ships embarking from a European Port. It's the category classification that determines pricing not the fact that it's an accessible cabin. Take for example the MSC Divnia that you mentioned has both I2 and I1 Interior Classifications with the I2 interior (standard or accessible) cabin costing more.

There is no cruise line that specifically offers " Guaranteed Accessible" cabins . Reason being that the accessible cabins are so limited relative to standard cabins that a person needing one usually books well in advance. On occasion unsold inventory of accessible cabins may be assigned to someone having booked a "Guaranteed" Cabin (whether able bodied or not ) after the final payment period has past but no one requiring as accessible would take the risk of booking a guarantee and than being assigned a standard room.

For ships embarking from a USA Port the following Law applies to the booking of accessible cabins. MSC apparently has chosen on their own which they have the right to do to hold Accessible Cabins and not release them to the general public or enter them into the inventory to be used for assigning "Guaranteed" cabins after the final payment period has past.

Following applies to ships embarking from a USA Port:

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. a Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective on January 1, 2012 that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Though this regulation came about in 2010/2011, the cruise lines were granted until January 1, 2012 to completely comply with these new regulations. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under the new laws the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking.

In answer to your header question How to save money when you need an accessible cabin? One has to be vigilant and constantly check the pricing particularly if the cruise line booked allows price adjustments prior to the final payment period. For example I usually book when the price meets my budget than I regularly do mock bookings to check for any price drops prior to the final payment period.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I booked an accessible cabin on Royal Caribbean in March for our August 2014 cruise. I would periodically call (generally every couple of weeks) to see if there had been any price drops. Final payment was due sometime in May. The day before I was going to make my final payment I called and the price had dropped almost $1000 (for a balcony cabin on Allure).

Edited by jpcello

We need an accessible cabin because my husband uses a mobility scooter. I have found that we have to book these cabins up to a year or year and a half in advance. That takes care of our chances to take a last minute "special fare" cruise. Of course, I always check if there is a price drop up until the time of final payment, but on some of the specials I have been told that the new pricing is only good on NEW bookings and if I give up my H/C cabin I may not be able to get it back.

Another thing that bothers me is that we are now Elite on Princess, but never can get an upgrade because they will not guarantee that the upgrade would be to an accessible cabin. We usually book an outside or outside obstructed, but we would love to get upgraded to a balcony or mini suite. Unfortunately they are also booked far far in advance so no hope there.

• 4 months later...
We are a senior couple and do not require an accessible cabin. In 16+ cruises we have nearly always booked an inside guarantee and been quite happy with our assignments. We have ALWAYS been thrilled with the amount of money we have saved by booking this way.

We have friends who also cruise frequently, but require a handicapped accessible cabin. What they pay for similar cruises is shocking when compared to what we pay. They claim it is because they have to book a specific cabin to assure that it is HC accessible.

Are there any cruise lines that allows guarantee bookings (cheaper because no exact cabin is assigned) but will guarantee an accessible cabin? Are there any other cost saving techniques for accessible cabins?

There is a way for your friends to get the same better pricing that you do and get an accessible cabin. We need an accessible cabin as my wife is disabled. This same thing was happening to us on Princess and other lines and when I finally realized just how much more it was costing us by my specifically asking for an accessible cabin, I threatened to sue them for discrimination under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). They will now give disabled people the benefit of the better pricing but you can't call up and ask for a particular disabled cabin. If you do that you are charged the specified cabin rate. The way to get the better pricing is as follows: If for example we get a brochure that offers a guaranteed balcony for $799, as long as when I try to make our reservation they have at least one balcony room in that category I then ask for an accessible balcony at that same rate and they will match that rate and give us an accessible balcony at that rate even if the lowest accessible balcony is in a higher category. If the agent at the cruise line isn't aware of that policy I ask to speak to customer services and will get the better rate but I have to take whatever accessible balcony room they assign to us. And, by the way the cruise lines don’t advertise this as I’m sure they prefer to have you request a specific cabin and pay the much higher rate.

For example, recently we saw a Celebrity cruise we wanted to go on, having received a brochure from friends that had some very attractive rates. But when our travel agent called they had no accessible balconies left and offered us an ocean view accessible cabin but at the specified cabin rate. That rate was $200 more per person than the advertised guaranteed rate for an ocean view as they were treating it like a request for a specific cabin. I sent our agent back to them to tell Celebrity we didn't care where we were but only that the cabin had to be accessible and we were not going to pay any more than a non-handicapped person. We got an ocean view and didn't have to pay any more than the lowest advertised ocean view price.

If you call asking for an inside cabin and the lowest accessible cabin available is a balcony, I don't know how that would be handled. We've never run into that as we have usually sought a balcony cabin and there has been an accessible balcony available (sometimes in a higher category but given to us at the lower price) or this last time when they didn't have an accessible balcony and we asked for and got the accessible ocean view for the lowest advertised ocean view price.

If this isn't clear or you need additional information let me know. At any rate, please acknowledge that you've received this explanation.

there are too few HA cabins available to be able to guarantee them without locking in a specific one.

HA cabins may NOT be priced higher( or lower) than non HA cabins of the same type/category so the key is to book ASAP as they do sell out fast. anyone may take advantage of applicable price drops

For ships embarking from a USA Port the following Law applies to the booking of accessible cabins. MSC apparently has chosen on their own which they have the right to do to hold Accessible Cabins and not release them to the general public or enter them into the inventory to be used for assigning "Guaranteed" cabins after the final payment period has past.

actually they pretty much all do that. same with those cabins that hold more than 4 passengers. after final payment has passed any unsold inventory in those restricted categories is released for general sale.

I think your friends are probably not as clever at finding good pricing as you. Disabled ones we have had same pricing as others in same cat. Lets face it, finding best pricing/ perks/ service takes some time and investigation.

There is a way for your friends to get the same better pricing that you do and get an accessible cabin. We need an accessible cabin as my wife is disabled. This same thing was happening to us on Princess and other lines and when I finally realized just how much more it was costing us by my specifically asking for an accessible cabin, I threatened to sue them for discrimination under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). They will now give disabled people the benefit of the better pricing but you can't call up and ask for a particular disabled cabin. If you do that you are charged the specified cabin rate. The way to get the better pricing is as follows: If for example we get a brochure that offers a guaranteed balcony for $799, as long as when I try to make our reservation they have at least one balcony room in that category I then ask for an accessible balcony at that same rate and they will match that rate and give us an accessible balcony at that rate even if the lowest accessible balcony is in a higher category. If the agent at the cruise line isn't aware of that policy I ask to speak to customer services and will get the better rate but I have to take whatever accessible balcony room they assign to us. And, by the way the cruise lines don’t advertise this as I’m sure they prefer to have you request a specific cabin and pay the much higher rate.

For example, recently we saw a Celebrity cruise we wanted to go on, having received a brochure from friends that had some very attractive rates. But when our travel agent called they had no accessible balconies left and offered us an ocean view accessible cabin but at the specified cabin rate. That rate was $200 more per person than the advertised guaranteed rate for an ocean view as they were treating it like a request for a specific cabin. I sent our agent back to them to tell Celebrity we didn't care where we were but only that the cabin had to be accessible and we were not going to pay any more than a non-handicapped person. We got an ocean view and didn't have to pay any more than the lowest advertised ocean view price.

If you call asking for an inside cabin and the lowest accessible cabin available is a balcony, I don't know how that would be handled. We've never run into that as we have usually sought a balcony cabin and there has been an accessible balcony available (sometimes in a higher category but given to us at the lower price) or this last time when they didn't have an accessible balcony and we asked for and got the accessible ocean view for the lowest advertised ocean view price.

If this isn't clear or you need additional information let me know. At any rate, please acknowledge that you've received this explanation.

Thank you for the information!! I had no idea we could do this. We have reserved our first cruise with the " regular" ie not guaranteed cabin price. We are in a suite so I don't know if they even have a guaranteed price but I'm definitely going to check! Thanks so much!!

Edited by mynxr

• 3 months later...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. :D

I was looking to go on another Bermuda cruise with Celebrity; the Guaranty rate is several hundred dollars less per person than the "pick your room" rate. In fact, it would cost $200 MORE to book an accessible oceanview than a balcony guaranty. I called Celebrity and asked for the guaranty rate and was of course told "No, can't do that". I had to push and ask for a supervisor and after being on hold for a very long time, the agent came back and said that they could give me that rate. Since there was only 1 accessible balcony left, I knew exactly which cabin I was getting.

Thank you very much - we ended up with a better cabin at a better price thanks to your advice.

I "guaranty" this will not be the last time I use this.:p

thanks again.