Scooter

Eva 51

my husband now needs a scooter on the ship. I'm wondering if Allure of the seas or oasis of the seas are good ships for people with scooters. Or is it too crowded Also do the cruise lines rent out scooters. Thanks for your help

Don't worry about the ship being crowed. We have been on Allure and Oasis, crowds are much less than you would imagine, unless your cruising during a school break. Contact RCCL if you need to rent a scooter, they work with a outside vendor who supplies what ever is needed for rental. happy cruising

Thank you. Did you noticed if there were people using scooters on those ships?

The more important thing then other people is to make sure you get a handicapped room as you must put your scooter in your cabin when not in use. You cannot leave it in the hallway or public areas when not in use.

Of course there are more people around when coming/going to dinner or the theatre or coming on board so you must plan accordingly. However it is not impossible. Many many people cruise with scooters. Again, the most important part is getting that handicapped cabin to store your scooter. The doorways for regular cabins aren't wide enough to get the scooter in.

The more important thing then other people is to make sure you get a handicapped room as you must put your scooter in your cabin when not in use. You cannot leave it in the hallway or public areas when not in use.

Of course there are more people around when coming/going to dinner or the theatre or coming on board so you must plan accordingly. However it is not impossible. Many many people cruise with scooters. Again, the most important part is getting that handicapped cabin to store your scooter. The doorways for regular cabins aren't wide enough to get the scooter in.

Must disagree. On our last 15 day cruise on Allure there was a scooter parked out side the door a few cabins down from us for the whole trip. It was a regular cabin not a handicap. And as far as crowds go, the scooter seems to always have the right of way. We were in the promenade on captains welcome aboard party and their were plenty of scooters bumping people out of the way.

Must disagree. On our last 15 day cruise on Allure there was a scooter parked out side the door a few cabins down from us for the whole trip. It was a regular cabin and not a handicap.

Do note that just because it was there and didn't get reported doesn't mean it was there legally. The cruise line was in violation of Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) rules to allow the scooter to be parked like that, as it can impede hallway traffic in both emergency and non-emergency situations.

Do note that just because it was there and didn't get reported doesn't mean it was there legally. The cruise line was in violation of Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) rules to allow the scooter to be parked like that, as it can impede hallway traffic in both emergency and non-emergency situations.

Exactly. There is a very big reason why people try for handicapped rooms. The shower isn't the only reason. It should not have been there. What would you have people do when they are using their scooter and yours is sitting in the hallway. I can't get around it so what, I have to back up all the way down the hallway to go around because you are violating the law? How inconvenient for the cabin stewards who can't get their carts around it. Or people with strollers. There are a lot of things you can do, but it doesn't mean you should. That's okay, keep encouraging people to be rude and inconsiderate.

taglovestocruise: Scooter people do not, of course, have the right to "pump people out of the way". I have been in the lobby when it was so crowded and people in scooters that were polite, simply could not get through the crowd. I have walked in front of them saying "excuse me, excuse me" very loud just to get people to move for them. But, hey. Keep giving people bad information. Makes for a lousy cruise experience for everyone.

my husband now needs a scooter on the ship. I'm wondering if Allure of the seas or oasis of the seas are good ships for people with scooters. Or is it too crowded Also do the cruise lines rent out scooters. Thanks for your help

Scooters can be rented from Special Needs at Sea or Care Vacations and the scooter will be waiting in your stateroom when you board. As noted above, there are parking restrictions so it would be preferable to book a larger suite that will allow the scooter to be parked in the stateroom and ready for your use whenever you choose to go.