Lots of Questions-NOLA

Italy52

DH and I are planing to take a cruise on Serenade of the Seas during Christmas break (12/27-1/3). We have never been to NOLA and thought we would fly in a couple of days early to explore. Here are my questions that I am hoping someone might be able to help with:

How is weather in December?

We will be flying into MSY. We would like to stay at a nice hotel near the cruise port. Recommendations for transportation and costs and hotel recommendations are greatly appreciated.

After cruise is over, are cabs readily available for transport back to the airport?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

How is weather in December?

December weather is usually pretty nice and may be in the 70s except when a front is coming through and then it may get rainy, windy and dip below freezing.

We will be flying into MSY. We would like to stay at a nice hotel near the cruise port. Recommendations for transportation and costs and hotel recommendations are greatly appreciated.

After cruise is over, are cabs readily available for transport back to the airport?

Cabs will be right at the port and easily available to go to the airport.

I would stay in the Quarter if you're going to be in town for a few days. For just one night though the Hilton at the foot of Poydras St. is near enough to the Quarter to walk and next to the wharves where the passenger ships land.

For a true taste of Mark Twain's Mississippi I would ride the paddlewheel steamboat NATCHEZ (http://www.steamboatnatchez.com) while in the Crescent City. It's a wonderful way to learn a bit about the history of New Orleans and watch America go by at 8 miles per hour.

• 2 weeks later...

You might look into the Embassy Suites by the Convention Center. Here is a thread I started a few months back; you can actually walk to the port if you stay here. :) The cab fare is a flat rate from the airport, $33.00 plus tip for any of the hotels in the Convention Center area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1995165

EDITED TO ADD: I just checked availability for your dates (I put in 1 night, Dec. 26) and it says there are no rooms. Perhaps contact the hotel directly, OR use one of the bidding sites and choose Convention Center as the neighborhood. Just a suggestion.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

You might look into the Embassy Suites by the Convention Center. Here is a thread I started a few months back; you can actually walk to the port if you stay here. :) The cab fare is a flat rate from the airport, $33.00 plus tip for any of the hotels in the Convention Center area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1995165

EDITED TO ADD: I just checked availability for your dates (I put in 1 night, Dec. 26) and it says there are no rooms. Perhaps contact the hotel directly, OR use one of the bidding sites and choose Convention Center as the neighborhood. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the post and the link, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

After checking around at a few hotels we made reservations at the New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center.

• 2 weeks later...

Karen, we stayed at the Marriott for a night pre-cruise in February. There is a restaurant right up the street, on the next block I think, called Mulate's. It's touristy and probably not the best food in New Orleans :D but they live music, usually cajun or something local, and dancing every night. We enjoyed it - it was a fun night.

Karen, we stayed at the Marriott for a night pre-cruise in February. There is a restaurant right up the street, on the next block I think, called Mulate's. It's touristy and probably not the best food in New Orleans :D but they live music, usually cajun or something local, and dancing every night. We enjoyed it - it was a fun night.

Thanks for the post, I appreciate it. How did you like the Marriott? Did you eat at the hotel at all?

The Marriott was fine - just what you'd expect. We spent very little time in the hotel, our flight arrived early evening and we basically checked in & headed straight to Mulate's. There's a little convenience store on the corner opposite to Mulate's and we were able to get some water, etc. there.

We didn't really eat at the hotel, just had coffee and pastries at Starbucks in the lobby the next morning. We had intended to walk over to the port, it's literally *right there* but it was raining. We ended up taking a cab. We headed over fairly early, I think.... 10:30 or 11:00 am maybe. We were on the NCL Jewel.

The Marriott was fine - just what you'd expect. We spent very little time in the hotel, our flight arrived early evening and we basically checked in & headed straight to Mulate's. There's a little convenience store on the corner opposite to Mulate's and we were able to get some water, etc. there.

We didn't really eat at the hotel, just had coffee and pastries at Starbucks in the lobby the next morning. We had intended to walk over to the port, it's literally *right there* but it was raining. We ended up taking a cab. We headed over fairly early, I think.... 10:30 or 11:00 am maybe. We were on the NCL Jewel.

Thanks, appreciate your post.

...headed straight to Mulate's. There's a little convenience store on the corner opposite to Mulate's and we were able to get some water, etc. there....

We ate dinner at Mulate's both nights! Hubby couldn't get enough of their gumbo, and their bread pudding. Also bought a few items at that store you mentioned. All in all, very convenient to the Port and what we needed.