Tips for shore excursions

JB&JLG74

How much does one tip a guide on a cruise line booked shore excursion? Half day (4 hours) and/or full day (8 hours). Do couples tip individually or as a couple?

I tip as a couple, generally anywhere from $10 to $20 for the guide. On a bus excursion I also tip the bus driver separately around $5 at least, they really appreciate it.

Jonathan

Depends on your perceived value. We don't generally tip drivers...I feel that's what we're paying for! The guide can share his tip or not...his call. Depending how good the guide is, we'll tip about $10-20 for the 2 of us.

Actually, in re-reading I see I spoke too soon. It seems $5 for half day and $10 for full day per person is the consensus. Thank you, everyone. This helps us neophytes.

It makes no difference whether it's a half day or not. If the tour guide is entertaining and knowledgeable I am happy to tip him $20 on half day tour and perhaps up to $30 for a full day.

A good tour guide can really enhance your visit, by entertaining with anecdotes, humor and history. There is no set rule, but, tip what you feel is right and especially if you enjoyed the tour.

Jonathan

There is no set amount. Most couples do not tip individually - one tip for the pair of you. If you have kids that require extra work on the part of the guide (and the guide has actually done something to make the experience good for the kids), be a little more generous. Similarly, if there is a person with a walker or special help needed (and it was actually provided) don't be stingy.

We may tip the driver separately, because I don't count on the guide to share. But you know, if the driver never even gave you a smile or made you feel welcome, then....

Guides really vary. Some just spout the minimum packaged schpiel and make it clear your experience doesn't matter to them. If I don't matter to them, I don't see why they should matter to me. Other guides seem to like their work and their guests and go out of their way to help you see and understand their location through real eyes. Just judge by your experience. Did you have a great trip, with someone who really cared about your questions and tried to help everyone gain something from the journey? That's a great guide, and you should give that person a tip that reflects your experience.

You already paid for your excursion. The tip, to the guide or the driver, or both, should reflect how much you felt their personal effort made your day (or part day) mundane or terrific.

On my first stop in Aruba I was on a ship sponsored excursion around the island. The guide we had was an absolute sour puss! She didn't want anyone to ask her any questions until we were done with the excursion and headed back to the ship, even though the question(s) pertained to what we were seeing at that time. Someone asked her if we were going to visit "The Lighthouse"? She very curtly answered, NO! She didn't get a tip from a lot of people, me included.

There is no set amount. Most couples do not tip individually - one tip for the pair of you. If you have kids that require extra work on the part of the guide (and the guide has actually done something to make the experience good for the kids), be a little more generous. Similarly, if there is a person with a walker or special help needed (and it was actually provided) don't be stingy.

We may tip the driver separately, because I don't count on the guide to share. But you know, if the driver never even gave you a smile or made you feel welcome, then....

Guides really vary. Some just spout the minimum packaged schpiel and make it clear your experience doesn't matter to them. If I don't matter to them, I don't see why they should matter to me. Other guides seem to like their work and their guests and go out of their way to help you see and understand their location through real eyes. Just judge by your experience. Did you have a great trip, with someone who really cared about your questions and tried to help everyone gain something from the journey? That's a great guide, and you should give that person a tip that reflects your experience.

You already paid for your excursion. The tip, to the guide or the driver, or both, should reflect how much you felt their personal effort made your day (or part day) mundane or terrific.

Totally agree with EVERYTHING "wassup" posted above! :)

LuLu

On my first stop in Aruba I was on a ship sponsored excursion around the island. The guide we had was an absolute sour puss! She didn't want anyone to ask her any questions until we were done with the excursion and headed back to the ship, even though the question(s) pertained to what we were seeing at that time. Someone asked her if we were going to visit "The Lighthouse"? She very curtly answered, NO! She didn't get a tip from a lot of people, me included.

Makes you wonder why anyone tipped her at all. On land, unlike the cabin crew, basic pay is for doing the job, and tips are for doing better than the job. If the guide isn't even doing the basics, why on earth would you tip?

For me, it depends to quite a large extent where we are as well as what the guide is like. In the Gambia, for example, where poverty is all around, we might be more generous than say Norway, where they're all pretty much loaded. (Well, not really loaded, but you get the drift.)

It depends, I hate when they ask at the end of the cruise to tip, We took a catermeran mexico and they all were holding tip buckets when you walk off the boat. Same with Dunn River falls.

Normally I tip $5. The only time I never tiped was dunn river falls when the guide was yelling at me to tip and mad when i said no.. He was making a scene so i just walked away. I am not one for being peer pressured