From the US Washingto DC area (Maryland) ???

lesnpatty

Hi, we are Patty and Leslie from the US and have put a deposit on a 12 night South Pacific Cruise. We usually go to the Caribbean for the beaches and swimming but we want to do something more exotic for our 20th Anniversary. We would like some feedback as to is this itinerary a good time of year. Will the water be warm enough to swim, my partner has health issues and needs the water to be warm. We enjoy the beach, swimming and snorkeling. Is this itinerary a good choice ?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Thank you !!!

Patty and Leslie

31 March Depart Sydney

01 April cruising

02 April cruising

03 April Isle of Pines, New Caledonia

04 April Vila, Vanuatu

05 April Champagne Bay, Vanuatu

06 April Luganville, Vanuatu

07 April Mystery Island. Vanuatu

08 April Lifou, Loyalty Island

09 April Noumea, New Caledonia

10 April cruising

11 April cruising

12 April Sydney.

Patty and Leslie itinerary

31 March Depart Sydney

01 April cruising

02 April cruising

04 April Vila, Vanuatu

10 April cruising

11 April cruising

12 April Sydney.

The water temperature will be on average 79 Fahrenheit in April and the air temp will average 72 minimum and 81 maximum. Certainly warm enough for me to swim and snorkel. Several of your ports have excellent beaches with white sand and that desert island feel to them. Mystery Island and Champagne Bay are particularly beautiful and Lifou and Isle of Pines are also attractive with varied scenery and some nice beaches. The snorkelling is not among the best IMO but still colourful and interesting on Mystery Island off the beach or from a local boat, Lifou at Jinek Bay and the Isle of Pines at the Natural Aquarium. Vila, Noumea and Luganville are towns where you dock and you would need to organise a tour or in Noumea catch a local bus to get to a beach. Enjoy and come back with specific questions about the ports as you get on with your planning. Happy anniversary!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes the water should be warm enough to swim in the pacific islands in March. In Australia it's starting to cool for Autumn but we still have plenty of warm days that time of year. The islands are warm all year round, but in March there is a higher chance of rain, but it's still warm. It's getting to the end of the cyclone season so not as much chance of running into one. I would imagine it would be similar weather to cruising the Carribean at the end of your hurricane season.

Thanks, I will be doing my research and be back on with some specific questions. :) We are looking forward to exploring someplace new. Can't believe the airfare is as much as the cruise, but we have lots of time to save up.

Hi, we are Patty and Leslie from the US and have put a deposit on a 12 night South Pacific Cruise. We usually go to the Caribbean for the beaches and swimming but we want to do something more exotic for our 20th Anniversary. We would like some feedback as to is this itinerary a good time of year. Will the water be warm enough to swim, my partner has health issues and needs the water to be warm. We enjoy the beach, swimming and snorkeling. Is this itinerary a good choice ? Any feedback would be appreciated :) Thank you !!! Patty and Leslie

31 March Depart Sydney

01 April cruising

02 April cruising

04 April Vila, Vanuatu

10 April cruising

11 April cruising

12 April Sydney.

Others have given some excellent feedback on water temps, etc. We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back.

Here are some other questions/factors to consider:

1. How much to spend in or around Sydney or nearby either before and/or after your departure and return to this super scenic port?

2. It's a long, long ways to travel just for some warm waters and different backgrounds. How much are you interested in nature, super scenery, wildlife, etc.? Other parts of Australia, New Zealand have some great options to consider.

3. Tahiti and/or Hawaii could be airline stop-overs to help break the long flight times.

Any other questions or reactions?

See a few great sample picturse for why the sailing in and back to Sydney can be so much fun, full of drama. Plus, spending more time in Sydney? Very hip, happening, fun city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 133,419 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are four shots connected with Sydney and its super harbor, including the first two involving our ship, the Solstice, docked with the skyline in the background, the Opera House nearby, etc. The final two are exciting night shots. On our early Jan. 2014 sailing, we are there overnight and can capture some of these moments from we are docked there. :

RakOperaHouseSolstice_zps1b757444.jpg

RakBridgeUnderOpHouseSkyline_zpsc2902f60.jpg

RakNightUnderBridge_zps6537e005.jpg

RakNightBridgeCurveOpHouse_zpsa268f1d6.jpg

Hi-

For airfare check Qantas/AA from BWI thru Dallas vs going through LA. I recently got Premium Economy from BWI for less than $2000 per ticket but it was not available through LA. The flight going from the US stops in Brisbane before heading to Sydney while the return is non-stop Sydney-Dallas. I expect the connection @ DFW is a much better experience than LAK. Departing in March for 22nd Auckland-Sydney (with 4 nights Sydney & 2 nights Auckland per-cruise)

Chris

Others have given some excellent feedback on water temps, etc. We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back.

Here are some other questions/factors to consider:

1. How much to spend in or around Sydney or nearby either before and/or after your departure and return to this super scenic port?

2. It's a long, long ways to travel just for some warm waters and different backgrounds. How much are you interested in nature, super scenery, wildlife, etc.? Other parts of Australia, New Zealand have some great options to consider.

3. Tahiti and/or Hawaii could be airline stop-overs to help break the long flight times.

Any other questions or reactions?

See a few great sample picturse for why the sailing in and back to Sydney can be so much fun, full of drama. Plus, spending more time in Sydney? Very hip, happening, fun city.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 133,419 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are four shots connected with Sydney and its super harbor, including the first two involving our ship, the Solstice, docked with the skyline in the background, the Opera House nearby, etc. The final two are exciting night shots. On our early Jan. 2014 sailing, we are there overnight and can capture some of these moments from we are docked there. :

RakOperaHouseSolstice_zps1b757444.jpg

RakBridgeUnderOpHouseSkyline_zpsc2902f60.jpg

RakNightUnderBridge_zps6537e005.jpg

RakNightBridgeCurveOpHouse_zpsa268f1d6.jpg

Nice pictures, did you use a tripod with longer exposure on the night shots? Lois like some shots were with wide angle lens perhaps

Sent from my iPad

. We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing,[/url]

These aren't Terry's photo's. :)

It's unlikely you'll get the same look as those photo's were taken in Autumn, most likely April or Winter (the one on the Opera House forecourt), summer tends to get a bit hazier as the humidity is much wider. It is also much windier later in the day and into the evening as the sea breeze kicks in so the harbour can be quite choppy. They are definitely taken with a 24, 28 or similar. I have shots that are almost identical. I have not needed a tripod.

The ones looking back at the Quay are from Luna Park/North Sydney Pool/ Milsons Point.

The forecourt of the Opera House currently has a lot of hoarding etc up as they are refurbing the delivery docks below. It is supposed to be closed until mid this year, but is not yet complete, hopefully it will be finished by January (Opera House projects notoriously run over time by a long way) however I think they then move onto the western side project which will be what you see from the ship.

For anyone planing to visit in January/February it is wise to note this is probably the most unstable weather period of the year. Often hot, frequently very humid and with thunderstorms late in the afternoon. Alternatively when the wind blows from the west we hit the 115F range and it's like an oven. So be prepared for really wet. And then of course it is also cyclone season.......

First to answer the OP.

Water temps are pretty good at that time of year which is why it is likely to be very humid and possibly have evening showers. Coral needs a temp above 70F as a very minimum so all of your ports are fine. I can swim there in August and I'm a wimp!

As a tip for Vila - if you don;t like cold water then you can miss the Blue Lagoon swim. It's really cool in there, fresh water stream created. The dock in Vila is a bit of a zoo and be prepared for rough and bumpy roads. DO not buy anything at the stalls along the dock, they are much more expensive than when you get further out if you decided to do a daytrip. If the health issues affect any degree of mobility, give the cascades a miss, also not overly warm.

Ooops. I cut off half my post before it went in and it was too late to edit

We have done a Princess cruise around FP and we swam several places -- plenty warm. I love to swim and like your partner I really need warm water or I cramp. Before you snorkel or swim plans, find out how you have to get out of the boat, swim area -- Ladders on a boat are the worst! We have also found sturdy water shoes are a must. We also carry our own snorkel mask with our eyeglass RX in the goggles. We bought them in the dive shop in Annapolis that is just across from Nordstrom's. We also bought snorkel vests -- makes a world of difference. We do not carry fins.

I am planning a big trip to New Zealand and I live in Bowie. From my obsessed planning and watching of airfares I suggest you first look at Air Tahiti Nui or Air Pacific. Both have nonstops to Nandi (Fijiair/Air Pacific) or to PPT (Tahiti). and then on to destination. Air prices are really much cheaper done in 2 parts. BWI or DCA to LAX ($380 roundtrip) and then LAX to SYD or DFW to BRE (Brisbane) or Sydney. If you are willing to go to NYC it is a bit cheaper than Washington DC (EWR can take the train directly to the airport.). Watch for sales. Air New Zealand starts cheaper prices in Feb. High season is Nov. to Feb. I am about to buy for Jan/Feb at about $1700 all in DCA to LAX LAX to AKL SYD is in the same price range.

Have a great time and if I can help you let me know. If you want a small ship experience take a look at Coralprincesscruises.com.au. Google Oceanic Discoverer. They do the itin. that you mentioned but excursion style. Beautiful small ship with nature guides and marine biologist and my favorite thing is that they have a platform on the back that lowers you into and out of the water! Good when the body is less mobile than dinghies require.

Nice pictures, did you use a tripod with longer exposure on the night shots? Lois like some shots were with wide angle lens perhaps.

MrsWaldo: These aren't Terry's photo's. It's unlikely you'll get the same look as those photo's were taken in Autumn' date=' most likely April or Winter (the one on the Opera House forecourt), summer tends to get a bit hazier as the humidity is much wider. It is also much windier later in the day and into the evening as the sea breeze kicks in so the harbour can be quite choppy. They are definitely taken with a 24, 28 or similar. I have shots that are almost identical. I have not needed a tripod. The ones looking back at the Quay are from Luna Park/North Sydney Pool/ Milsons Point. The forecourt of the Opera House currently has a lot of hoarding etc up as they are refurbing the delivery docks below. It is supposed to be closed until mid this year, but is not yet complete, hopefully it will be finished by January (Opera House projects notoriously run over time by a long way) however I think they then move onto the western side project which will be what you see from the ship. For anyone planing to visit in January/February it is wise to note this is probably the most unstable weather period of the year. Often hot, frequently very humid and with thunderstorms late in the afternoon. Alternatively when the wind blows from the west we hit the 115F range and it's like an oven. So be prepared for really wet. And then of course it is also cyclone season....... [/quote']

YES, as correctly noted by MrsWaldo, those great pictures were not taken by me. Wish I had done them!! Wonderful pictures. These were from CC Board poster thamanrp and their Rakkiat & Helena's photo link at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rakkiat.helena/CelebritySolsticeShip#

there are 163 different pictures on and around the Solstice. Lots of interesting visuals, especially those done at night. These were from their April 2013 cruise on "our" ship. It all helps building the excitement and fun for our trip. They have done lots of great traveling since they got married in 2007.

As I recall, most of these were taken hand-held and/or by leaning the camera against a stable location or base. No tripods. Also, they have used a multiple-exposure technique and then some post magic on the computer to combine the "best of the best" pixels for each "shot" to generate these great looks.

Do these dramatic pictures get you excited to be visiting Sydney and its dramatic harbor? Fortunately, we get on our Solstice ship on Jan. 20, 2014 and do not sail away until 6:30 pm Jan. 21. That should allow time to get a wider variety of pictures while we are there. On their website, in most cases, it shows the technical details for each picture. Well worth a visit.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 133,760 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From CC Board poster thamanrp and their Rakkiat & Helena's photo link here are a range wonderful night pictures from the Solstice sitting in and sailing out of the scenic Sidney Harbor. First is from the Solstice looking towards the various high-rise building adjoining the harbor. Second is a view of the famed, arched bridge from the front part of our ship. Third, from a location near the Opera House is a view of the famed bridge, plus some fireworks over the arched, white sail roofs. The last two shots are from the Solstice as this ship sails out. Great location and views?:

RakNightDwntownSkylineShipView_zps00986c1d.jpg

RakShipViewBridgeNight_zps645f6534.jpg

RakNightBridgeFireworksOpHouse_zps471c22ae.jpg

RakNightShipViewOpHouseSkyline_zps83a37e06.jpg

RakNightWideHarborSailOut_zps357d7725.jpg

Thanks again for the great information and photos. We are hoping to spend at least 2 days pre-cruise in Sydney to explore. We also want to explore some of the native culture while in ports. We were on the Radiance of the Seas for an Alaska repositioning cruise to San Diego in 2008 and loved the ship. We love taking pictures and hope to get some good ones while in port. We will be checking back often.

Thanks

Patty

These were from their April 2013 cruise on "our" ship.

Not a bad guess for time of year! :)

Just as an FYI it will be broad daylight for sail away at 6.30pm in January.

If you want night shots from the water I'd grab a ferry. As the Manly ferry heads down the harbour do it going out at sunset around 8pm then head back again for the night shot.

The Darling/harbour Cockatoo Island trip gives you some great shots up and under the bridge. Cockatoo Island is an excellent spot for some unusual views of Sydney Harbour with the camera.

(I don't upload my images... once they are on a board like CC or TA they are no longer exclusively yours)

Archived