Which itinerary for Venice/Greece?

jabrown40

I currently have an Aqua class cabin on Celebrity Constellation booked for August 2018. We have sailed with them once before, and were very happy with our cruise. Just saw that Viking has a similar itinerary for the same, and with the half airfare promotion, I think costs will be about the same. This is the comparison:

Celebrity, 10 nights - Venice, Dubrovnik (overnight stay), Dubrovnik, At SEA, Crete, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini, Katakolon, At SEA, Venice

Viking, 8 nights- Venice (overnight) Venice, Split (Croatia) Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Olympia, Athens

I know we will be coming to Venice a couple of days early, either itinerary, and if we choose Viking, we will stay in Athens a couple of days.

I'm not worried about included excursions, drink packages, etc. that affect cost, thinking more about itinerary, and ship factors - which would provide the best experience?

Have you been to any of these places before? Of the unique stops, Santorini is a top priority for many people [the most beautiful of all the Greek islands we have visited]. But if you've already been, it may not be so appealed for a return visit.

I'm not really a fan of overnight stays in the embarkation or debarkation ports, because like you we tend to stay in those places on our own around the cruise. So the overnight in Dubrovnik is appealing because very few cruise passengers get to experience it in the evening.

Both those things would push me to the Celebrity itinerary, plus getting 10 days for the same cost as 8 days on Viking. OTOH, with Viking you would end in Athens and so have the opportunity to experience that city in depth.

One other idea: since you have already discounted the included Viking shore excursions, you could elevate the Celebrity experience close to the Viking level by upgrading from AQ to a Sky Suite.

Those are good points. I have also posted this on the celebrity board, and one person suggested that once we land in Athens, we could also take the ferry over to Santorini and spend the day. I did look into the suite idea, but unfortunately celebrity is asking for an additional $3000 per person!

Those are good points. I have also posted this on the celebrity board, and one person suggested that once we land in Athens, we could also take the ferry over to Santorini and spend the day. I did look into the suite idea, but unfortunately celebrity is asking for an additional $3000 per person!

We were very lucky last year on a similar Connie cruise: we ended up in a Celebrity Suite [!] for about the same price we had originally booked AQ. The bad news is now we are spoiled for suites...

We are Celebrity cruisers and just took our first Viking Ocean cruise. Comparing apples to apples, I would say Viking in a heartbeat!

With the better itinerary, I would have to say Celebrity since you will be in Aqua Class and have Blu to dine in every night. Do put Viking Ocean on your bucket list, though. If you like Celebrity, you will LOVE Viking.

My husband prefers the Celebrity itinerary as well, and I also forgot to mention we will be in our first aft balcony, 1140, right in the middle. We do love Blu, and actually will be on Viking in November for a Cuba trip. It's difficult to choose, but fortunate to have the ability to take these vacations.

My husband prefers the Celebrity itinerary as well, and I also forgot to mention we will be in our first aft balcony, 1140, right in the middle. We do love Blu, and actually will be on Viking in November for a Cuba trip. It's difficult to choose, but fortunate to have the ability to take these vacations.

That's an awesome cabin, we had it in the Caribbean. A short 20 second walk down to the Sunset Bar. My husband and I really wanted to return to Venice, so have chosen the Italian Sojourn itinerary. I looked at the same itinerary on Celebrity as you, because of the Greece portion, but decided to put it off to a later date.

I think we are done with the bigger ships, though we enjoyed our Celebrity trips. After three, and soon to be four, river cruises, we much prefer the smaller, more sedate, port-intensive, all-inclusive cruises.

33555985495_ee9b41305f_z.jpg1140 by robinmwarner, on Flickr[/img]

We've sailed on Celebrity a few times (Summit, and not Blu) and while it was OK for the price, I think we're done with Celebrity. It was such a mob scene compared to Viking, and I think we're, like a previous poster, completely done with bigger ships. On Star, the food was a lot better, the itinerary was great, and the ship was beautiful and much better maintained than Summit (which, obviously is an older ship). Regarding the itineraries, we both loved Santorini (which was included on our Viking cruise, plus we had been there once before) and Kotor was a wonderful surprise. Of course, I love the smaller, lesser-known cities, and the smaller cruise ships that are able to go there, plus I'm not crazy about sea days. Your preferences may be totally different. As for overnight stays, Venice overnight is really nice (and I assume Dubrovnik would be also), as Venice often has many, many cruisers (and land based visitors there during the day, making a daytime cruise stop much more different than a night-time visit.

Yes, you have more days on the Celebrity itinerary, but those two sea days would tilt my choice (if it only depended upon itinerary) in favor of choosing the Viking itinerary and then adding on a few days at the beginning and ending of the cruise.

Personally, I would opt for the Viking cruise, partly because of the ports of call along the Dalmatian Coast, but also the opportunity to spend additional time in Athens.

I stayed in the Hotel Herodion which is within easy walking distance of the Acropolis, and the Plaka district, and just around the corner from the excellent Acropolis Museum.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g189400-d228864-Reviews-Herodion_Hotel-Athens_Attica.html

One word of caution--- Greece in August will be extremely hot.

Slightly off topic but just FYI we sailed with Silverseas in the Med and absolutely loved it. Their Silver Spirit (650 passengers) is even smaller than the Viking Ocean ships and the tours were very similar to what we enjoy with Viking. I would gladly cruise again with Silverseas. Santorini is exquisite. Not inexpensive, but includes extras like all bar drinks anytime and no extra charge for tips, nor are any cash tips expected.

We did Empires of the Mediterranean last December, Athens to Venice. I have not sailed Celebrity, but believe you will enjoy Viking much more. Fewer people on the ship(960 max), no children and excellent service. I also appreciate no nickel and diming. Only problem with Viking can be some of their customer service here in the US. Some are good, some not so much. If you have any questions I can try and answer them.