Question on getting around Miami and South Beach

gratamama

My family (dh, two kids) and my parents are all going on a cruise out of Miami in April. My parents are staying at the Surfcomber for several nights beforehand and enjoying South Beach, which is awesome.

DH and I are not sure what we're going to do. We arrive one day before cruise. Options are: Get a room at Surfcomber ($$$), get a less expensive place in SoBe, or stay in downtownish Miami. It would be nice to see them on that day before cruise, but I guess not absolutely critical. Would love to see SoBe, just a little afraid of hotel rates. If we do the third option, how easy is it to get to SoBe from like a "port of Miami" area hotel? (We land at MIA on a Friday around lunch.)

Thank you! Miami virgin here!:hearteyes:

Check rates at the Catalina Beach Resort in South Beach. It is across the street from the Surfcomber and is always a fantastic deal for a great hotel. The Surfcomber is really an amazing property and you'll be able to hang out there with your parents.

Why stay downtown when you can stay in South Beach?

BTW, Casa Tua, right around the corner is an AMAZING restaurant. For something less expensive, Havana 1957 is reasonable and fantastic Cuban. Make sure you make reservations wherever you dine.

Thanks so much for the replies. I did check out Catalina - they couldn't accommodate, but it got me thinking about just looking for a hotel near there and maybe we can mooch off their nice pool for an hour (or hang at the beach.) Hampton Inn turns out to be there and booked for $290 total with my AAA discount, which I can live with vs. $570 at Surfcomber. Thanks!

Newbie to Uber - is tipping probably customary?

You cannot add the tip to your credit card charge, it must be in cash. Never had a driver refuse a cash tip or complain if I did not tip. Tipping is up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Miami is so so lovely, I'm very jealous.

During my time in Miami I used taxis, shuttles and Uber's. I would 100% recommend the über, it was the first time I'd ever used it and I can't recommend enough.

I've listed here how long each journey took, what it cost and what I thought... hope that helps! http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2017/01/07/fort-lauderdale-airport-to-the-port-of-miami/

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Miami is so so lovely, I'm very jealous.

During my time in Miami I used taxis, shuttles and Uber's. I would 100% recommend the über, it was the first time I'd ever used it and I can't recommend enough.

I've listed here how long each journey took, what it cost and what I thought... hope that helps! http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2017/01/07/fort-lauderdale-airport-to-the-port-of-miami/

:-)

You have a lovely little blog but I would add that the guesthouse you stayed in is gay and probably not kid friendly and it is almost impossible to get from your guesthouse to Miami in 30 minutes. It is at least 20 minutes from your hotel to I-95. At best, it would take you an hour. Keep in mind they are 30 miles apart in heavy traffic.

Love the neighborhood you stayed in. Victoria Park is a wonderful place.

You have a lovely little blog but I would add that the guesthouse you stayed in is gay and probably not kid friendly and it is almost impossible to get from your guesthouse to Miami in 30 minutes. It is at least 20 minutes from your hotel to I-95. At best, it would take you an hour. Keep in mind they are 30 miles apart in heavy traffic.

Love the neighborhood you stayed in. Victoria Park is a wonderful place.

Gay?!

It was a lovely place, about 8 rooms maybe around a pool. I do think it used to be something gay/swingers/parties but certainly wasn't when I stayed! Pretty sure it had new owners.

But yeah that one is far out of Miami, I did stay in south beach too which is a bit more relevant for this post.

Thanks for the compliment on the blog! Tons of people seem to do the same/similar routes around Miami so I thought I'd write it all down.