Aft Cabin

Gil1

On our January, 2015 Gem cruise, we had an aft-facing Deck 10 cabin, 10168.

The debris from the Great Outdoors and the soot were awful!

The view was wonderful, but the chairs were dirty all the time. Debris blew down from the Great Outdoors, and when they were washing the deck up there, the water came down to our balcony.

We didn't complain because the cabin steward worked hard so we just put up with it.

We would only book an aft-facing cabin again if it was on a ship with no Great Outdoors open eating area above it.

You're making me a little nervous LOL. I have 10164 next year on the Gem, hopefully the soot is not that much of a problem or the food. I won't book an aft penthouse if the Great Outdoors is above, but have always been on deck 10 on the Jewel and Pearl and never had the issue (Great Outdoors was also on deck 12 on those ships). Wonder if there is something different with the Gem. Better make sure I have some extra towels and maybe some plastic gloves to pick up any leftovers!:)

Have you sailed the NCL Sun?

Actually, I think I may have...I stink at remembering ship names once the cruise is done. I know we did Jade.

We always try to get at least a deck between us and any public areas, above and below.

Edited by srlafleur

Actually, I think I may have...I stink at remembering ship names once the cruise is done. I know we did Jade.

We always try to get at least a deck between us and any public areas, above and below.

Yes, as you and someone a few posts up pointed out, it would be best to go down a deck if there is a Great Outdoors. My point wasn't to get the person sailing aft on the Sun turned off or upset about the room. I just didn't want them to be surprised after doing research here to find the things we had on deck 10 of the Sun as they are two rooms over from where we were.

These type of issues being reported vary widely. The BA was sailing for quite a long time before someone reported getting soot on an aft balcony and then some other people posted the same thing with pictures so I thought the problem didn't exist on the BA until some people reported it.

As far as the Sun, DMH15 has sailed the Sun quite a bit compared to our one time and I can't ever recall her saying she had soot but I can't recall her exact wording. I know in some of these posts about the Sun specifically where we were talking about the soot some people said they never had it so it in their minds didn't exist yet I posted a picture of it at the time.

Edited by dexddd

You're making me a little nervous LOL. I have 10164 next year on the Gem, hopefully the soot is not that much of a problem or the food. I won't book an aft penthouse if the Great Outdoors is above, but have always been on deck 10 on the Jewel and Pearl and never had the issue (Great Outdoors was also on deck 12 on those ships). Wonder if there is something different with the Gem. Better make sure I have some extra towels and maybe some plastic gloves to pick up any leftovers!:)

We'll be in that same SF next Feb. on the Gem, and I'm really looking forward to it. :)

We have booked a "center aft" balcony for our cruise around Cape Horn. Now I am worried that we have made a mistake for this particular cruise. Cruising westward from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso through the Chilean fjords, would we be better off on the starboard side? We have had aft balconies before, but those were on the corner of the ship and gave us the best possible 180 degree view.

Here is a picture of the Sun model ship and the aft. You would be the 3rd set of windows from the right. The Great Outdoors is that tent area right above you. The aft on the Sun is a great location though as the Sports Bar, buffet, Moderno are all just one floor up. The buffet is small but they have a smaller selection out at the Great Outdoors and they also serve some various foods at Moderno for breakfast and lunch (or at least they did). DMH15 has actual pictures of the aft in her signature line I believe.

SAM_0295_zpsnooyilya.jpg

I have the same cabin on the Jade in April not even thinking about it. I did have to fight with a seagull on Carnival for stealing one of my fries. I just turned my head for a second...we were not aft;)

Yes, as you and someone a few posts up pointed out, it would be best to go down a deck if there is a Great Outdoors. My point wasn't to get the person sailing aft on the Sun turned off or upset about the room. I just didn't want them to be surprised after doing research here to find the things we had on deck 10 of the Sun as they are two rooms over from where we were.

These type of issues being reported vary widely. The BA was sailing for quite a long time before someone reported getting soot on an aft balcony and then some other people posted the same thing with pictures so I thought the problem didn't exist on the BA until some people reported it.

As far as the Sun, DMH15 has sailed the Sun quite a bit compared to our one time and I can't ever recall her saying she had soot but I can't recall her exact wording. I know in some of these posts about the Sun specifically where we were talking about the soot some people said they never had it so it in their minds didn't exist yet I posted a picture of it at the time.

I have asked DMH15 is she can post a full sized pic of her avatar. Thanks. :)

The things we agonize over on CC. LOL

I am far more concerned about my view of the Chilean fjords on starboard side than anything else. I always pack bleach wipes and can toss a towel on the chair. I just don't want to pay $1,000 more (for both of us) for a cabin that gives me less of a view. This cruise is pretty special to us. (Aren't they all?LOL)