Aft Cabin

Gil1

Don't know what cruise your doing but if your sailing through the Venice canal an aft is a must. The canal is very narrow so you get a 180 degree view of both sides, it just spectacular and your looking down on all the historic places.

Having said that we only do aft cabins.

We had an aft balcony on a 2 week Jade. It's the only way to go. We got a lot of debris on our deck from the highest decks, so I would actually say lower is better. The views in and out of nearly every port will be breathtaking. Enjoy :)

We always choose aft-facing balconies when we can. We've never had any complaints about the location, as long as there were staterooms above. We were on one ship (not Jade) directly under a nightclub. That was an error on my part. (thank goodness for sleeping pills!)

Love aft! We saw so many sea life in March from flying fish to 2 whales! We booked another aft suite for April 2016 on the Jade. We are seniors as well and a nice glass of wine on your balcony in the evenings before going out is fantastic! We sailed deck 9 in March and will be deck 10 coming up in April. Both decks are wonderful. Let us know what we choose:)

Would an AFT Facing balcony stateroom be a good choice on NCL Jade. What would be a good deck choice. First time cruisers on NCL. Seniors. Thank you

The aft-facing balconies on Deck 10 are larger (deeper) than those on the lower decks. As for soot, etc., from above, that just really varies from cruise to cruise with the wind, etc. Personally, I would not worry about it. And I agree with the advice above to pick Deck 9 before Deck 8 (if Deck 10 is not available).

Enjoy!

We have booked a "center aft" balcony for our cruise around Cape Horn. Now I am worried that we have made a mistake for this particular cruise. Cruising westward from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso through the Chilean fjords, would we be better off on the starboard side? We have had aft balconies before, but those were on the corner of the ship and gave us the best possible 180 degree view.

We have booked a "center aft" balcony for our cruise around Cape Horn. Now I am worried that we have made a mistake for this particular cruise. Cruising westward from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso through the Chilean fjords, would we be better off on the starboard side? We have had aft balconies before, but those were on the corner of the ship and gave us the best possible 180 degree view.

Are you on 8, 9, or 10? The aft Sun balconies will have a good view from side to side. We were in one of the minis on 10 and had good side to side views. We did get some soot and food from the Great Outdoors at times. The aft balconies are one room closer to the sides.

Are you on 8, 9, or 10? The aft Sun balconies will have a good view from side to side. We were in one of the minis on 10 and had good side to side views. We did get some soot and food from the Great Outdoors at times. The aft balconies are one room closer to the sides.

We are on 10 (0266). We are paying approx.$500 more for the privilege of being aft, although the cabin itself appears to be slightly smaller than normal.

My concern is that we will only have a view of the water behind us and little view of the fjords to the right.

We are on 10 (0266). We are paying approx.$500 more for the privilege of being aft, although the cabin itself appears to be slightly smaller than normal.

My concern is that we will only have a view of the water behind us and little view of the fjords to the right.

I don't have any Sun aft views handy, but you will have nearly a 180 degree view at least when standing at your railing - the back of the ship is tapered.

One thing other than the soot and food we mentioned was we would get gulls when in port a couple times on the railing or the railing above because the Great Outdoors is there and they were looking for the food.

I also mentioned on another thread recently that there is sometimes a sewage smell in the aft part of the Sun. We had it the first day and even outside on 7 where we did the muster. It went away after we started sailing but others have reported smelling it in the hallways aft while sailing.

I don't have any Sun aft views handy, but you will have nearly a 180 degree view at least when standing at your railing - the back of the ship is tapered.

One thing other than the soot and food we mentioned was we would get gulls when in port a couple times on the railing or the railing above because the Great Outdoors is there and they were looking for the food.

I also mentioned on another thread recently that there is sometimes a sewage smell in the aft part of the Sun. We had it the first day and even outside on 7 where we did the muster. It went away after we started sailing but others have reported smelling it in the hallways aft while sailing.

Thank you. I hoped that the deck curved enough to provide us with a good side view. :)

Now about the gulls, the soot, and worst of all, the sewage smell......

Should we move to the bow? :eek:

I stayed in an accessible aft mini-suite on the 11th deck of the Pearl. I think it has a similar layout to the Jade. The room was HUGE and the balcony provided a really nice view! I'd highly recommend an aft room.

Thank you. I hoped that the deck curved enough to provide us with a good side view. :)

Now about the gulls, the soot, and worst of all, the sewage smell......

Should we move to the bow? :eek:

In all my afts, I've never experienced any of the above. Neither gulls nor sewage smell (which is usually just an "off" whiff) are limited to the aft. (We had a friendly gull perch on the rail of our mid-ship balcony once)

In all my afts, I've never experienced any of the above. Neither gulls nor sewage smell (which is usually just an "off" whiff) are limited to the aft. (We had a friendly gull perch on the rail of our mid-ship balcony once)

th?id=JN.Z8JvldNbPrQ2udaeeYojHA&pid=15.1&P=0

Have you sailed the NCL Sun?

Do aft oceanview cabins feel cramped? We're sailing on the Gem on 5/30.:)

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic!

The person who started this thread was inquring about an aft-facing cabin (that is, a cabin in the absolute rear of the ship, facing the wake), and the replies on here have been about that. There are no aft-facing oceanviews on the Gem, you are asking about certain cabins in the aft portion of the ship but on the sides.

I can't answer your question, but you might use the search feature in the top right of the NCL forum to search for "oceanview," or start a new thread and ask your question if your search does not yield an answer.

Have a great cruise!

Never experienced any of those things either.

On our January, 2015 Gem cruise, we had an aft-facing Deck 10 cabin, 10168.

The debris from the Great Outdoors and the soot were awful!

The view was wonderful, but the chairs were dirty all the time. Debris blew down from the Great Outdoors, and when they were washing the deck up there, the water came down to our balcony.

We didn't complain because the cabin steward worked hard so we just put up with it.

We would only book an aft-facing cabin again if it was on a ship with no Great Outdoors open eating area above it.

@Studebaker59

May I suggest that next time you take an aft cabin one deck lower and let the cabin above you catch all the debris. Yep, been there, done that. You may have noticed that the balconies on Deck 10 are deeper (longer) by a out a foot and a half and catch the stuff. J.