Pearl Harbor without Tickets

SadieN

Going on the Carnival Miracle and will be in Honolulu Saturday, October 25.

Yesterday I checked the reservation.gov site for PH tickets. The Audio tour was no longer available. The free tour was not showing yet.

Checked today and the free tour is also gone.

We have no interest in seeing the other museum or the battleship.

Carnival's tours include other things, we just want to see PH.

I know we can chance it and try to get tickets day of. I'm assuming the ticket is for the movie and the tender to the Memorial.

Question is--Can we just explore the museum part without the ticket?

If so, do I have to secure my purse or can I have it with me?

TIA

Edited by SadieN

I don't know what time your ship docks, but if you leave immediately you should be alright. We went to PH when it opened without tickets. We stood in line for about 15 minutes and got tickets. I should mention that we were in Honolulu 3-4 days prior to our NCL cruise out of Honolulu. Pearl Harbor is worth seeing.

Yesterday I checked the reservation.gov site for PH tickets. The Audio tour was no longer available. The free tour was not showing yet.

I know we can chance it and try to get tickets day of. I'm assuming the ticket is for the movie and the tender to the Memorial.

TIA

You are correct: the ticket is just for the introductory movie, and the shuttle to the Memorial it self.Yes, you can see the Arizona Memorial grounds, displays and museum areas without a ticket. The submarine museum does require a separate ticket though.

As pointed out by others, if you get to the Arizona Memorial as early as you can, you should be able to get tickets, although you may have to wait for several hours before your ticketed time to go out to the Memorial itself.

Finally, be aware that having a ticket out to the Memorial is no guarantee that you'll actually get out to it. The Navy controls the operation of the shuttle boats and will shut down the operation if they feel the water or weather conditions are not suitable.

The day we went, we had tickets for a 10:45 am shuttle. The day was warm, clear, but somewhat windy. The water was moderately choppy. We took our shuttle ride, and as we were headed out to the Memorial the guide informed us that our shuttle would be the last one operating that day, and that usually once the Navy decided the shuttles would stop, they would not operate for the rest of the day.

Edited by VideoTech

TIA

You won't be able to bring any type of bag in, whether you take the launch over to the Arizona or just tour the grounds. They do have a storage locker available for a three dollar (I believe) fee.

I am one of the few that recommends going late in the day if you do not have tickets. It is very peaceful when the crowds and tours have gone elsewhere. We have never had problems with walk-in tickets but you never know. Cherie

I am one of the few that recommends going late in the day if you do not have tickets. It is very peaceful when the crowds and tours have gone elsewhere. We have never had problems with walk-in tickets but you never know. Cherie

What do you call "late in the day"????

1:30 or 2:00 - the last tour is at 3:00. We have arrived as late as 2:30 and received tickets. There is an email address for the U.S. Park Service that will be able to answer questions as to the number of tickets they keep open for "walk ups." I don't know the answer to this. Also, you can ask what the latest time is to arrive and receive available tickets for the last tour. I have only been once to visit the Arizona with all of the tours and crowds and did not find it as memorable as visiting at the end of the day. This is just my opinion and does not work with everyone's schedule. Also, if you arrive in the afternoon and you have an hour or two before your tour you will be able to visit the museum and sit and enjoy the surroundings. Cherie

Edited by cccole