Paris;some non touristy areas to see

alexandra cruiser

Just got back from Paris and found some sites to see sort of off the beaten track.First, instead of Eiffel Tower go to Montparnese Tower.Similar views and less wait with lower charges.Then, go to Montparnese Cemetery,cool and secluded with interesting grave markers and loads of famous residents.Also, loved the Rodin Museum Gardens.How about some others??

Two more.....

La Defense is an interesting vision of the future; you feel like you are on the set of a science fiction movie.

The "passages" north of the Palais Royal are essentially an 18th century take on the indoor shopping mall, with some quirky businesses at which to window shop.

Ahhh---I love Paris!!

Some of the quiter spots in Paris we've enjoyed are:

--The Jardin des Plantes (5e arrondissement)--the botanical Gardens--and most of it's free, too.

Not far away is the Arenes de Lutece--the largest Gallo-Roman ruins in Paris--usually, there's no more than 4 or 6 other people wandering around.

Nearby is the great street market of the rue Mouffetard--not very quiet, but off the radar screens of most tourists--very Parisian. Many scenes from the 2001 movie "Amelie" with Audrey Tautou were shot here.

The Fountain of the Medicis in the Jardin de Luxembourg (6e).

Also in the 6th--the Musee Eugene Delacroix--great smaller museum, of which there are so many in Paris. The Musee Marmottan (16th)--mostly Claude Monet, is another favourite--it's a very pleasant 1/2 mile walk from the Metro Muette through the park, which is mostly filled during the day with au pairs and their young charges.

The Place des Vosges (3e)--maybe the most beautiful square in Paris--an enclosed square with formal gardens , surrounded by 36 'townhouses'. Dinner on a nice night at one of the many restaurants that serve under the arcade that surrounds the square can be magic.

The cafe in the garden at the Petit Palais (8e).

Another great street market is on the rue Cler (7e).

And--I also agree with the other posters--great suggestions, all.

I agree heartily that a visit to the Grande Arche de la Defense is absolutely worth the ride on the Metro or RER. It is built on a direct visual (and street) line from La Defense to the Arc de Triomphe, then along the Champs Elysees through Tuileries Gardens to the smaller Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel next to the Louvre. Thus, one gets a splendid view of the main corridor of Paris. Quite spectacular. When you take the train or metro there, don't get off at the station nearer the Seine (Esplanade de la Defense) because you will then have to walk the whole length of La Defense (quite a long ways) before you get to the Grande Arche. Rather, get off at the station called La Defense (or maybe it's called La Defense Grande Arche).

All of the gardens at the Palais du Luxembourg are lovely and are primarily visited by Parisians, rather than tourists.

For lovers of scupture, I second the suggestion of the Rodin Museum, in Hotel Biron. The museum is wonderful, both inside and out in the gardens.

Another delightful street market is the Marche de Buci, at the intersection of Rue du Seine and Rue de Buci. The street market in Rue de Buci is a classic local French market, with a number of wonderful shops, selling everything from fish to cheese to bread. You'll find Rue de Buci just a block or two on the Seine side of Blvd. St.-Germain when going from the Seine towards Blvd. St.-Germain.

My other favorite food market in Paris is the incredible food hall of the Bon Marche - La Grande Epicerie de Paris, 38, rue de Sèvres. It's a wonderful adventure in French food. It's also the best place I can think of to get some goodies for a picnic, either in a park or in your hotel room. This is a great store where Parisians come to buy their food, both regular stuff and really specialized items. The store is located just south of the intersection of rue de Sevres and Blvd. Raspail, a block or two from the Metro station "Sevres-Babylone"

The food halls at Lafayette Gourmet in the Galleries Lafayette at 48 Blvd. Haussman are also quite good, although not nearly as vast as those at La Grande Epicerie. But either place will have loads of goodies for picnics.

Cheers, Fred

The Musee Marmottan (16th)--mostly Claude Monet, is another favourite--it's a very pleasant 1/2 mile walk from the Metro Muette through the park, which is mostly filled during the day with au pairs and their young charges.

When you wrote "park," you just reminded me of another wonderful Paris place, the Parc Monceau. It is located in a fairly wealthy residential area, and out of the way from most tourist attractions. Take the Metro to Monceau, which will put you at the northern edge of the park at one of the entrance gates. Walk in and straight through to other side of the park. You'll see some great people-watching, especially in warm weather, and some marvellous fake ruins which decorate the park.

When you leave the park on Avenue Ferdousi, walk a little farther to Place de Rio de Janiero and turn left on rue de Monceau. A few hundred yards further on is the Musee Nissim Camondo at number 63, which gets you into one of those wealthy townhouses and allows you to look at an amazing array of decorative arts.

Alternatively, turn left at the main crossing within the park, allee de la Comtesse de Segur, and you will eventually reach the Musee Cernuschi with its collection of Chinese art. Both are off the beaten tourist track and tend to draw relatively few visitors.

We really enjoyed our visit to the Jacquemart-Andre Museum on Boulevard Hausmann, a 19th century mansion beautifully furnished and adorned with the lovely art collected by a rich Parisian couple with no children. (Also a good English audioguide.) We visited during a special Fragonard exhibit, and the line to enter was filled primarily by beautifully elegant, chic Parisians, and very few frumpy tourists like us!

We concur with the recommendations of a visit to the lovely Rodin Museum, his former home, and lovely to explore both inside and the gardens. Conveniently across the street from the Invalides.

• 4 months later...

The Museum with the Unicorn Tapestries, It is the Musée National du Moyen Âge. I really enjoyed seeing something so iconic and getting so close to it.

I also enjoyed the ice cream shop Berthillon on Isle de France.

Another fun thing is taking the Montmartre funicular up to Montmarte.

Another tip is to go to a small resturant for lunch and find out what the plat de jours are. They are great, cheaper than some other options, and fast.

If you are into gourmet foods there is a famous grocery store near the Church of the Madeline in Paris. I can't remember the name of the store though.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're into History, Crypte Archeologique is a fascinating place to visit. It contains the ruins of the 2000 year old Roman city of Lutetia. It's just steps away from Notre Dame, yet very few people even know it's there.

Just got back from Paris and found some sites to see sort of off the beaten track.First, instead of Eiffel Tower go to Montparnese Tower.Similar views and less wait with lower charges.Then, go to Montparnese Cemetery,cool and secluded with interesting grave markers and loads of famous residents.Also, loved the Rodin Museum Gardens.How about some others??

Agree on loving the Rodin Museum and their wonderful gardens. It's a nice size and not too large and overwhelming. Below are a few of my favorites in visual form from what we loved so much in Paris. Taking pictures in Paris is a wonderful and affordable way to keep those great memories alive forever.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At the d’Orsay Museum, this was the grand dining room of the hotel that was part of the previous train station. Now, dining here breaks up the day during a long day of standing and walking:

ParDOrsDining.jpg

On the wonderfully charming ille St. Louis island, this flower shop is so nice along with other shops there:

StLouisFlowSp.jpg

The famed 1860’s Opera House has restored its spectacular reception hall:

OperaHsInt.jpg

At the Sunday market near the Bastille, fresh seafood:

MarketSeafood.jpg

At the wonderful small and charming Rodin Museum, his studio/home and the grounds are filled with his sculpture. Here’s some folks looking at the key parts to one of his famed pieces:

ParRodinGuys.jpg

In the Marais, this covered walkway is a part of the Place des Vosges that was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. These brick designs date to 1612.:

ParMaraisMusic.jpg

Hey Terry, must thank you for the Rodin statues....I was busy taking closeups of the feet,,,,I know, but my hubby is a Foot Dr. and wanted a signed Rodin foot ,,,had it blown up and mounted and on display in his office...its gets loads of comments.lll Anyway, got home and had few,none very good, of regular statues in garden...So now I have one,,hahaha...........love the way you always inc. photos when you answer,,,,you did for an upcoming Norway cruise too....really nice and thoughtful...Thanks Now if you ve been to Dubrovnik or Adriatic areas, going there in June on SeaDream,,,,:D

Hey Terry, must thank you for the Rodin statues....I was busy taking closeups of the feet,,,,I know, but my hubby is a Foot Dr. and wanted a signed Rodin foot ,,,had it blown up and mounted and on display in his office...its gets loads of comments.lll Anyway, got home and had few,none very good, of regular statues in garden...So now I have one,,hahaha...........love the way you always inc. photos when you answer,,,,you did for an upcoming Norway cruise too....really nice and thoughtful...Thanks Now if you ve been to Dubrovnik or Adriatic areas, going there in June on SeaDream,,,

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Be careful what you wish for. Below are more of my pictures on this wonderful Rodin Museum. These six give you more of a sampling of the home/studio, gardens, etc. It was early April 2007 when we were last there. The trees weren't fully out at that point.

Have not yet been to Dubrovnik or these Adriatic areas. That historic region is next on our wish list after doing the Norway Coast/fjords in early July 2010. BUT, it could be sooner if you bring me along to be your "official photographer" as you travel on this cruise in June. I also have a nice Rodin carved signature in bronze and other pictures, if needed.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here is more from the small and charming Rodin Museum that features his studio/home and the grounds that are filled with his sculpture:

RodinMusMainHse.jpg

RodinMus2.jpg

RodinMus1.jpg

RodinMusStatues.jpg

RodinMusMarble.jpg

RodinMus3.jpg

Archived