Ultimate Ship Tour

Socal404

I have a question that I wasn't able to find in a search. The couple that is travelling with us in February on the Crown wants to sign up for the tour. He's now familiar with this board,:o so I'm asking for him. Where do you sign up for this tour?

As stated - sign up at the purser's desk and do it soon. I signed my husband up the first day and he was in the selected group. He loved it and said it was well worth the $150. He found it fascinating and informative even if the Captain of the Sapphire didn't stick around and answer questions. The helmsmen who were on the bridge were more than accomodating.

Be aware - you will need really good walking shoes, it took them over 3 hours and up and down many narrow stairways. Also, leave a little room in your luggage for the plush robe and chef's jacket that you will get. (That took a bit of stuffing for us). On the Sapphire he was not allowed to take his camera but a ship's photographer took group shots in the galley, at the smokestack and on the bridge, plus individual ones with the captain. He also got a signed photo of the ship and a personalized notepad.

All in all - a good birthday present.

Kathy

I have a question that I wasn't able to find in a search. The couple that is travelling with us in February on the Crown wants to sign up for the tour. He's now familiar with this board,:o so I'm asking for him. Where do you sign up for this tour?

As stated - sign up at the purser's desk and do it soon. I signed my husband up the first day and he was in the selected group. He loved it and said it was well worth the $150. He found it fascinating and informative even if the Captain of the Sapphire didn't stick around and answer questions. The helmsmen who were on the bridge were more than accomodating.

Be aware - you will need really good walking shoes, it took them over 3 hours and up and down many narrow stairways. Also, leave a little room in your luggage for the plush robe and chef's jacket that you will get. (That took a bit of stuffing for us). On the Sapphire he was not allowed to take his camera but a ship's photographer took group shots in the galley, at the smokestack and on the bridge, plus individual ones with the captain. He also got a signed photo of the ship and a personalized notepad.

I agree with the others. Go immediately to the Pursar's Desk and sign up. They will let your friend know in a couple of days whether or not he's OK to go. I took it on the Sapphire Princess and loved it! And yes, wear comfortable, not baggy, clothes and good shoes as you're climbing ladders and going places that are not passenger-friendly. You are not allowed to bring a camera or carry anything in your hands as you'll need them both for safety reasons. Our group got over 20 photos in our cabin a few days later of us in various places on the ship so I really didn't need my camera; it was adequately captured in photos. I agree that it is well worth the $150. Our tour lasted almost four hours and I was exhausted by the end of it.

We took the Ultimate Ship Tour- signed up the first day at the pursers desk. We were told there would be a lottery drawing. We were thrilled to be chosen. You need lots of room in your luggage for the gifts. We each received a large plush Princess terry robe, 2 photos - one a group shot and one with the captain, chefs coat, an 8 X 10 picture frame, tote bag and personalized stationary. Well worth the money. The tour was very interesting and fun!

We did it on the Star last Sept. Most of us brought cameras and nothing was said other than not to take photos in sensitive areas. Our tour included meeting with members of the production show and a tour of the area backstage. Toured the galley, laundry room, anchor area, control center, and of course the bridge. We recieved photos of all the areas we visited as well as ones with the captain. We were given refreshments in the galley and on the bridge. It was really well worth the expense. We'll be on the Coral next May and I plan on signing us up for that one too.

Eileen

I sailed on the Emerald on the November 29th cruise, the one immediately before dry dock. I was on the ship by 12.30 and went to the Passenger Services desk on the way to the room. I signed up for the 3rd and 4th spots on the list as another couple had beat us to it. I was told that the tour would take place on the 2nd sea day which was Saturday.

On Friday evening I received a call saying the tour had been cancelled because not enough people signed up. No more detail than that. I was very surprised and had not heard of this happening before.

Perhaps it was because not many people had heard about the tour by reading Cruise Critic boards and there was only a single small entry in the first Patters with a brief description and indicating a deadline to sign up by noon on Tuesday.

We did the UST on the Ruby in October. It was wonderful. We signed up as soon as we were on board. We were numbers 5 & 6. The assistant cruise director who led the tour said it was a lottery but the staff captain told us separately that it was on a first come first served basis. Who knows for sure? I've heard both now. As long as we were included we didn't care. The tour was fantastic and worth the money. I just have a couple of things to add about it.....if you are a couple, they wouldn't need to give each person the pictures. We were both given the pictures and to be honest since they are 8 x 10's we probably won't even get all of them in our scrapbook. I certainly don't need two of the same pictures. I wouldn't care that they charged the same price, just don't waste the pictures to give me both. Also, my name was spelled wrong on the stationary, so I called the passenger services desk and told them. Someone told me they get back to me, but didn't. I called a few days later and ended up talking to the same woman. She put me on hold and then came back and said a new stationary would be made for me. It was in my cabin in just a day or two. You'd think they would proof read those things. :)

Overall, we loved every minute of the tour and highly recommend it.

When we toured we were accompanied by a member of security wearing black sunglasses... quite intimidating lol... add to that it was a woman and I was trembling s...

They ensure that you dont "accidently" get left behind and also take a keen note on the questions being asked (I am sure I am not paranoid here).

In particular.. dont ask what the big red button on the bridge is....lol

I have a hunch its one of those jokey stick on buttons just for the hell of it lol

Did the UST on the Star in November. There were too many names (about 48) so the Captain made the decision to have one a week for the duration of the cruise. It was a thirty day cruise so there were 4 of them. A lot of people say it is expensive, but I found it quite interesting and when you take into consideration the "gifts" you get it is really worth the experience. We were allowed to take our cameras but not allowed to take photos in the engine control room. I think this decision is left up to the discretion of the Captain. Princess provided a photographer who took group photos during the tour and these were also provided free of charge. Looking forward to doing another one in September.

• 2 weeks later...
wow I have been on 7 cruises and this is the Frist I have heard about this. I can't wait to sign up. should I take a bag to carry all the stuff they give you? My dh would love this, it would be a great suprise.

The gifts are delivered to your cabin after the tour. Might be the next day.

wow I have been on 7 cruises and this is the Frist I have heard about this. I can't wait to sign up. should I take a bag to carry all the stuff they give you? My dh would love this, it would be a great suprise.

Last summer on the Emerald our gifts were delivered in two Princess cloth tote bags. We crammed both robes into one tote bag, got all the other stuff into our suitcases, and then checked one of our carry-ons (luckily we don't need to pay for luggage due to DH very frequent flyer status) on our return trip. The tote was much lighter than a wheelie carry-on and fit easily into the overhead compartment. I hope you get to take the tour -- it was a fascinating experience!

We were on the Dec. 7 Coral Princess and took the Ultimate Ship Tour. It was $150 per person. We each received a set of pictures of our group on stage in the Princess Theater, on the Bridge with the Captain, in the technical control room. Also included were 2 plush Princess bath robes, 2 chefs coats. We toured the Princess Theater including the dressing room, sound/light control room, Print Shop, Photo Shop, Freezers, coolers and storage room for food & beverage. It is advertised as 3 hours, however ours was 4 hours. It is well worth the money to do it once. Just be sure to go to the Passenger Services desk as soon as you are on the ship and sign up. And, yes you will need an extra bag to carry the items home with you.

Cheryl & Hank

Millervile,

Leave some room in your carry on or luggage. I received a chef's jacket, bathrobe, personalised stationery and photographs. The tour started about 9am and finished at about 1pm. Refreshments were provided in both the galley and on the bridge. I signed up at he Pursers desk as soon as we boarded and found my name was first on the list. Due to it being a 30 day cruise I think it took people longer to register. In the end there were 48 people and they had one a week. I finally made the third one.

Bottom line - well worth the money.

Ted

Archived