Trouble on the Mariner on Thursday

I copied this from our AZ cruisers forum.....this is not a joke, I am not a troll, nor is she, just passing along something very improtant that has not been posted here yet.

....copied from AZ Cruisers.....

Greetings from the still intact Mariner of the Seas. Yes, there was a bomb threat yesterday and for a while the entire port was closed. Could not use the elevators and anything below deck 4 was off limits. Kinda tough climbing the 3 decks of stairs for lunch, but we made it :) Divers made numerous swims under the ship and the local law enforcement was searching the lower decks. Around 5:00 pm Captain Per came on and gave us the REAL story. We had received many announcements throughout the day, but finally got the rest of the story.

Will share more when I get back, and at our luncheon on Friday. Take care,

I found out about this on Thurs night, but didn't have any back up info to support it. A good friend of mine is currently on the Mariner and will return tomorrow. Her son recieved a text from her telling him about a bomb thrreat involving the Mariner on Thursday 1/28.....things are OK now and Mariner will return on time to LA.

Anyone else know anything, please post here!

Wow - that is so scary :(

I would think even just one news station or paper would have picked this up though???? If there were police and divers - surely that would have been newsworthy?

I agree, you would think it would be!

This is why I didn't post when I first heard about it, nothing to support it....but since she posted I know its real and something serious happened and the real story will come out!

This is a scary thing to read about, and just glad everything was okay. I think if I were on that ship I would be wondering why they only searched from 4th deck down...perhaps because of something in the threat they received?

I mostly lurk, not a lot of posts, because I really don't know enough yet to give the answers most posters need.

To Cruisinfever...I believe I read that the picture in your avatar is your granddaughter....she is one beautiful baby. That is the kind of picture that should be entered into a "pretty baby contest".

This is a scary thing to read about, and just glad everything was okay. I think if I were on that ship I would be wondering why they only searched from 4th deck down...perhaps because of something in the threat they received?

I mostly lurk, not a lot of posts, because I really don't know enough yet to give the answers most posters need.

To Cruisinfever...I believe I read that the picture in your avatar is your granddaughter....she is one beautiful baby. That is the kind of picture that should be entered into a "pretty baby contest".

Don't let that stop you. It doesn't stop anyone else! :D:D:D

Don't let that stop you. It doesn't stop anyone else! :D:D:D

Ain't that the truth! I just don't want some of these people coming down on me the way I've seen them come down on other people that give incorrect or unpopular answers. LOL

Same thing happened to us this past cruise on Summit. The ship thought they had a bomb on board in St Thomas. Most of the actions that were taken were as a precaution. But it is a bit scarey. It is just the world we line in today. Just remember, bomb threats and scares are done to make people stop traveling. Its an underhanded way of getting attention!

Just got a quick email from my friend and she made no mention of the incident. In fact, she said she is having a wonderful time and doesn't want to get off the ship. Knowing her, it must not have been too bad or it didn't impact her at all. She had excursions planned in all ports and she didn't mention missing any. I will get details from her when she returns.

Wow - that is so scary :(

I would think even just one news station or paper would have picked this up though???? If there were police and divers - surely that would have been newsworthy?

The news down here in FL has waited for the ship to return to Port to run the story so they can talk to Passengers. This doesn't happen all the time but sometimes.

I can vouch for the CC member who is on the ship right now and reported this. She is a good friend and will be my mom's roomie on the Mariner in May. She would not make this up. She is a regular poster on CC and a Diamond with RCI.

I am under the impression that this did not last long. Hopefully when the ship gets back on Sunday we will get more information.

Hello - my first post here. I found this thread while Googling the bomb

threat event that this thread is about.

I'm actually typing this from my balcony on deck 10 of Mariner of the

Seas in LA Harbor. We just arrived (safely!!) just over an hour ago.

Yes, all of the comments about this event are true. A bomb threat

was phoned in to Royal at around 11:00 AM Puerta Vallarta time on

Thursday. They immediately closed the harbor and locked down the

ship. Initially decks 2 and lower, then 3, then 4.

Divers and search dogs were brought in and for the next 3 hours

the entire ship was sealed - no one in or out, and no vehicles allowed

into the pier area.

We had just made it out - when we returned the security line was

VERY long and we were all very thoroughly searched - every item in

every bag was examined and we had full "feet back and spread 'em"

metal detector body searches.

By 4:30 PM the captain came on and announced that in fact it was a

bomb threat, and that it had been called in from a phone NOT on the

ship. No suspect was found.

As of Yesterday 10:00 AM at the captain's talk in the Savoy theater,

he reported that no one had been traced via the phone call but that

the authorities (both US and Mexican) concluded it was a hoax.

But you can bet LOTS of us tried on our life preservers that evening and

slept with one eye and ear open all night.

Whew.....

Wonderful cruise in every way - despite this event. We have "early

departure" so will be leaving the ship in just over an hour to head to LAX

and return home to Seattle this afternoon.

Dave Ellison

RainyPNW

Aboard Mariner of the Seas (using my own internet dongle FINALLY!!)

LAX / San Pedro Harbor

Archived