Trouble on the Mariner on Thursday

Hello - my first post here. I found this thread while Googling the bomb

threat event that this thread is about.

I'm actually typing this from my balcony on deck 10 of Mariner of the

Seas in LA Harbor. We just arrived (safely!!) just over an hour ago.

Yes, all of the comments about this event are true. A bomb threat

was phoned in to Royal at around 11:00 AM Puerta Vallarta time on

Thursday. They immediately closed the harbor and locked down the

ship. Initially decks 2 and lower, then 3, then 4.

Divers and search dogs were brought in and for the next 3 hours

the entire ship was sealed - no one in or out, and no vehicles allowed

into the pier area.

We had just made it out - when we returned the security line was

VERY long and we were all very thoroughly searched - every item in

every bag was examined and we had full "feet back and spread 'em"

metal detector body searches.

By 4:30 PM the captain came on and announced that in fact it was a

bomb threat, and that it had been called in from a phone NOT on the

ship. No suspect was found.

As of Yesterday 10:00 AM at the captain's talk in the Savoy theater,

he reported that no one had been traced via the phone call but that

the authorities (both US and Mexican) concluded it was a hoax.

But you can bet LOTS of us tried on our life preservers that evening and

slept with one eye and ear open all night.

Whew.....

Wonderful cruise in every way - despite this event. We have "early

departure" so will be leaving the ship in just over an hour to head to LAX

and return home to Seattle this afternoon.

Dave Ellison

RainyPNW

Aboard Mariner of the Seas (using my own internet dongle FINALLY!!)

LAX / San Pedro Harbor

Welcome to CC!!! A great first post!! I also googled this several times and found nothing on it...I am the OP who started the thread, my friend is on the ship with you, she gave us limited information on it.

I am relieved that is was nothing but a hoax and that everyone is OK.

Its a shame that this happened and that people do these kinds of things, but glad RC, police and port authorities did what they had to do and kept every one safe!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!! Thank you for your post!

Something similar happened to us on the Zaandam several years ago.

After the ship sailed from Ft Lauderdale, DH and I went out on the promenade deck to read and enjoy the weather. We noticed officers coming by opening all the life vest lockers. We had never noticed that before on any cruise so we figured something unusual was going on. Then we noticed we were turning around--we had not gone too far from port, yet.

The ship went beside the channel and just kind of sat in the water kind of like the gambling ships. We were circled by police boats or coast guard boats. They didn't get too close so it was hard to say. They had their blue lights on.

A second life boat drill was called and it was long. I don't remember exactly how long but it ran past the start of first seating dinner.

Later, the captain advised that a bomb threat had been called in from on shore and during the 2nd lifeboat drill the ship including all the cabins was searched and nothing was found. They treated everyone to wine with dinner on formal night to make up for the inconvenience.

DH and I believe the ship stayed out of the shipping channel and didn't return into the port just in case there was a real bomb. Didn't want the channel blocked.

I guess if you travel often enough, you will encounter some odd events.

Since we were starting a 7 night cruise we don't know if it was important enough to make the local news that night.

Thank you for the detailed report, RainyPNW. I hope it is one of many future posts from you on CC.:)

I am also a friend of the person who gave us the original report. As Linda stated she had texted her son who gave us a heads up on our AZ Cruiser's thread, but none of us wanted to say anything until we got the skinny directly from our friend, which we did get a day later. She has done this itinerary many times and does not always leave the ship while in port. That is why she knew about everything that was going on inside the ship (deck searches, elevators turned off) at the time.

I am glad that you are all safe and sound. Have a pleasant trip home. I will be coming your way in July when DD and I sail out of Seattle to Alaska!:D

Glad to hear that everyone is fine and that it was just a hoax. Still it must have been very scary.

It WAS scary. I didn't sleep "soundly" the rest of the cruise, just wanting

to be alert enough to hear the "bang" or the announcement to head to

mustering stations. My DW was concerned, but I assured her that our

previous cruise experiences (where life vests were required - no longer)

we'd be fine if there were an issue. And given that modern cruise ships

are NOT "Titanic" - the boats are HUGE, the staff is first rate, etc.

I will say that every creak of the ship thereafter caught our attention, but

it did NOT in any way affect our enjoyment of the cruise.

My best to all fellow cruisers on Mariner this past week :)

Dave

RainyPNW

These are JUST the stories I don't want to hear about! :-( I like to live in my ideal little world where these things DON'T happen. I don't fly because of these fears, and I'd hate for it to intrude on my cruising!

Glad it was a hoax though!

Unfortunately, all of our ideal little worlds are becoming a thing of the past in this day and age. I don't think we are completely safe anywhere. However, I am not going to live in fear or stop venturing out of my familiar territory. There is still a big world out there that I want to see. I am just going to be careful and keep aware of surroundings, have "escape routes" mapped out from all airplanes, hotels, cruise ships, etc and enjoy myself.

I just want to add to this thread as we were also on this ship

We were one of the people that actually was stuck between the ship and the port

The Captain secured the Aft gangway and opened the forward gangway as we were eating lunch up in the Windjammer when the Captain announced this So after collecting our things we proceeded to the Gangway and got off the ship While we were disembarking they secured the port IT was not Immediatly secured as posted above Passengers were allowed into port up to this point

As we were walking off the Vice(2star)Admiral of the Mexican Navy was boarding

BUT when we got off they stopped letting crusiers out of port area so we were in the area betwen the ship and fence with no shade or places to sit there was approx 15 other people waiting with us There were numerous Military personnel locked and loaded along with Police snipers(different weapons) securing the port

WE tried to reboard the ship about 15 min later so my GF wouldnt have to stand to long and was denied boarding

So we were stuck for about an hour with no place to go

Finally they reopened the port we were able to go to Sams Club/Walmart to restock ouir fridge:o we were just here 2 months ago and was making this a sea day anyways

When we got back to the port it took about an hour and a half to get back on the ship as they were taking groups of ten thru security and full searches

RCCL did bring out canopies to help block the sun and coolers of water so we wouldnt be dehydrated

That evening the Captain provided free drinks for an hour on the promenade it was Rum punch, screwdrivers, mimosas or champagne

He also made himself available for questions for about a half hour at the front part of the promenade

Now concerning these 2 situations my GF and I were pushed aside by more elderly people(55-?) than any other time on any cruise in 15yrs

Im sort of joking as alot of people trying to get free drinks can get crazy

I see that from alot of younger people but when older people cut you off and reach for multi drinks I just had to wait my turn But had to laugh when an older gentleman actually put his cane in front of my leg so he could get a drink I guess all is fair in Love, War and free drinks:D

The Captain was surrounded by 8 people and we were about 5 feet away listening as we didnt want to crowd him and people kept pushing past us to get to him I think the Ladies just wanted to flirt;)

Now there was someone thrown of the ship in San Pedro before we left port do to ????drunk????? as there were alot of drunk upset Jets fans onboard

Not saying who or what the reason was but if someone is thrown of a cruise they may want to retaliate JMHO

Now other that that it was an awesome cruise with great weather and food

Wow - that is so scary :(

I would think even just one news station or paper would have picked this up though???? If there were police and divers - surely that would have been newsworthy?

Any idiot can call and make a false threat. The police will check it out.

Bombs are scary and newsworthy. Empty threats? Not so much. These things shouldn't get any attention, nor scare anyone.

jonbdg......thank you for your detailed report. Sorry you were stuck in the middle and in the thick of things. :eek:

That is just too funny about the seniors......I can' totally picture it!

When it comes to free and 55+.....get out of the way!!! :D

Because I fall into this group all I can say is don't get in my way, I may be the one doing the pushing and shoving! :D

Sounds like RC did a good job overall. Just glad it was nothing more than a hoax and all ended well.

I mostly lurk, not a lot of posts, because I really don't know enough yet to give the answers most posters need.

Don't let that stop you. Its not the number of posts you have that matters. You could have 30,000 posts and still be giving out bad information.

I was on the cruise this week. We are in old town Puerto Vallarta when a waiter told us about it. When we got back to the ship it was all over and done with.

Everyone still aboard were told to go up to the upper decks as the call was specific to the lower levels (2 and 3 I think). The ship was not evacuated as the call was not considered a serious threat.

It was a non event but RCCL went thru the motions of FBI, Police, Mexican authorities etc.

Jon, you really need to use punctuation marks. Cruzfitter (sometimes known as Dennis.)

Just kidding. Jon's a friend that I met onboard. His report is accurate. I'm just busting stones.

Hey Dennis,

it took me long enough to type without all the proper grammer and punctuations I only can type so fast with 2 fingers and a thumb:o

Its all good but arnt you suppose to be working or did you call in sick while Patti went to work if so good job:p

That is just too funny about the seniors......I can' totally picture it!

When it comes to free and 55+.....get out of the way!!! :D

Because I fall into this group all I can say is don't get in my way, I may be the one doing the pushing and shoving! :D

Im all for respecting my elders but its unfair when their canes are being used to an advantage :p

It was funny especially when I weigh about 260 and the ones cutting me off were maybe 110lbs:D

It was all good and yes RCCL did a good job handling it And thank goodnes it was a hoax

Ain't that the truth! I just don't want some of these people coming down on me the way I've seen them come down on other people that give incorrect or unpopular answers. LOL

It can really get bad sometimes! You see the same names over and over bashing people on several threads at a time. Another Shirley

Hey Dennis,

it took me long enough to type without all the proper grammer and punctuations I only can type so fast with 2 fingers and a thumb:o

Its all good but arnt you suppose to be working or did you call in sick while Patti went to work if so good job:p

That's how I type also. That's why you'll never see a long post by me. And yes I called out of work today, because I'm really a lazy b------. Been doing laundry all day so, Patti can't complain too much when she gets home from WORK.

Archived