Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Northern Europe & Baltics

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Northern Europe & Baltics Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn

Old February 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Tom View Post
Can't exactly call the aquarium for super spectacular. It's just quite ok i guess, I'm visiting it every 2 year to see the updates.
I havent tried the White Lady yet, but will try (as I have said for the last 2 years) but I guess fjordtrip is out of the question when you have been to it.
If other museums are interesting, we got the maritime museum with the Norwegian maritime history that is not a small history
and tere is the university museum as you can see here:
All sort of things from the past and in the present, I think the big thing there is a whale, been some years since I've been there
THANKS, Master Tom, for the added info! Really like the picture. Love to see more such visual "PREVIEWS". Keep the info and pictures coming. Much appreciated. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Old February 19th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Here I got Frimpong the travelling bear in Oslo and Bergen.
http://www.pbase.com/frimpong/norway

It's a bear thats visits a lot of photographers around the world and it's become very popular. I had to wait 3 months to get him, but it was fun having him here for 4 weeks
Maybe you'll get som tip from him in that link and I will also answer questions regarding Bergen and the surrounding areas in this forum

Tom, thank you for sharing Frimpong's adventures in Norway with us. He's a very lovable fellow and the photos are great. I always travel with a small bear but unfortunately seldom include him in any photos (here he found a friend in Geiranger)

Also checked out your main gallery - Lots of great photos.

We enjoyed Bergen in wonderful weather during our first visit in 2005 (by train) and look forward to re-visiting on QM2 on Aug 24

Click the smiley for fond memories of:
SuperStar Virgo ......(02/2001, 02/2002, 03/2003, 04/2003, 08/2004, 06/2006, 10/2008, 02/2011)
Pacific Princess .......(11/2002, 01/2006) ...........................................SuperStar Gemini ...(08/2007)
Norwegian Dawn........(10/2007 - 21 nts, 11/2009 - 28 nts)............Celebrity Mercury .(02/2008 - 29 nts)
Sun Princess..............(06/2008) .................................................. .........Dawn Princess .....(03/2009 - 42 nts)
Norwegian Epic ........(07/2010 - 14 nts, 08/2011) .......................... Queen Mary 2 .... (08/2010)
Norwegian Sun ......... (07/2011) .................................................. ..........Pacific Jewel............(07/2012)
Celebrity Solstice ... (11/2012, 10/2013, 12/2013).......................... Diamond Princess ..(02/2013, 02/2014)

Looking forward to:

After that:
Explorer of the Seas 11-13-2015
....................... Round Australia - Bottom End (Fremantle to Sydney)

Old February 24th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Master Tom

Quote:
Hello Terry in Ohio

I can answer and suggest things about Bergen and Oslo.
If you're lucky on a cruise to land one of the happenings in Bergen like the Bergen Music Fest that's in the week of April/May: http://www.bergenfest.no/2010eng.html
Sometimes the music fest even moves out on the streets.

The Bergen International Festival is one big event every year, but here is the outdoor events more under the opening acts.
http://www.fib.no/en/About-the-festival/

Normally the second saturday in June we got the "Market days" in Bergen by the harbour. People from the surrounding areas of Bergen dress up like it's at the 1800/1900's and take their vintage boats to the harbour with home-made food and acessories, one day of living in the old days.

Here I got Frimpong the travelling bear in Oslo and Bergen.
http://www.pbase.com/frimpong/norway

It's a bear thats visits a lot of photographers around the world and it's become very popular. I had to wait 3 months to get him, but it was fun having him here for 4 weeks
Maybe you'll get som tip from him in that link and I will also answer questions regarding Bergen and the surrounding areas in this forum
I have to make a decision quickly. Do you think the QM2 is too large a ship to cruise on for a good coastal Norway/north cape experience? I'm looking at the June 14,2010 itinerary.....Southampton, Stavanger, Geiranger, Honningsvag, Tromsa, Olden, Bergen, Southampton. What's your opinion of the itinerary and ports?

Old February 24th, 2010, 02:06 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelite View Post
I have to make a decision quickly. Do you think the QM2 is too large a ship to cruise on for a good coastal Norway/north cape experience? I'm looking at the June 14,2010 itinerary.....Southampton, Stavanger, Geiranger, Honningsvag, Tromsa, Olden, Bergen, Southampton. What's your opinion of the itinerary and ports?
I'm doing a similar cruise on the Crown Princess in July. The QM2 is a larger ship than the Crown Princess but carries fewer passengers. In my opinion, it's all about the itinerary.

Old February 24th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm with Nancy on this. Consider itinerary first, then ship. We almost chose the 14-day Hurtigruten, but decided instead to book the Crown and have more time and money to spend in ports.

Last edited by Flogblogger; February 24th, 2010 at 09:57 PM.

Old February 25th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Which cruise line did you finally chose for a "pampered" Norwegian Fjord cruise in June 2010?

Dudley803

Old February 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile Its between Azamara and SeaDream

I ve booked a SeaDream to Adriatic in June , so will see whether I want to go on the new cruise they have to Norway for 2011....also like the Azamara itinerary and ship, so will make my final decision in June.....I like the idea of a smaller ship to get in ports and fjiords... Thanks to everyone who responded to thread, got a lot of info and great photos...

Old February 26th, 2010, 09:48 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra cruiser View Post
I ve booked a SeaDream to Adriatic in June , so will see whether I want to go on the new cruise they have to Norway for 2011....also like the Azamara itinerary and ship, so will make my final decision in June.....I like the idea of a smaller ship to get in ports and fjiords... Thanks to everyone who responded to thread, got a lot of info and great photos...
Both the June 2010 Azamara Journey (http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/se...Search+Results) and June 2011 SeaDream (http://www.seadreamyachtclub.com/voy...&voyage_id=920) have nice itineraries - if you don't mind not seeing the northern part of Norway. I had not heard of SeaDream - so did a Google search. I'm pretty sure a SeaDream cruise is not in my future, unless someone else is paying!

Last edited by NancyIL; February 26th, 2010 at 09:49 AM.

Old February 28th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Going on the Azamara Journey all Norwegian Fjord cruise Leaves from Copenhagen on 6/18/10 Great itinerary Have saild with them before and been extremely happy Try to get a sky suite room Currently having free upgrades and $500 shipboard credit Look into it Maureen

Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:07 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Talking Re.SeaDream fares

We booked the Adriatic cruise after calling SeaDream for specials,,so a $8000 cruise was only $3500 ,,,,would NOT have booked at full fare, so was hoping the $6000 fare quoted would also be lowered. I happened to see this cruise on Travel Channel, then read about it in Conde Naste....but your right Nancy, its expensive without a DEAL.....Hope they do the Azamara cruise in 2011 so I have a choice...I love this website, it always answers my questions and get so much info.Thanks

Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Check out MSC cruises for Northern Europe and fjords. They are not small ships but they have various cruises. Some cross the artic circle.

Old March 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did the Costa Magica back in May, 2006. It was a beautiful ship and back then there wasn't too many ships that did this particular cruise.
We loved the cruise and Norway, especially the fjords. Most beautiful place in the world but did not like Costa. Good luck in choosing.

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Flam

I need help deciding between 2 North Cape cruises I have reserved. One goes to Flam and the other doesn't. Will I be sorry if I miss taking the Flam train?
Star Princess - Mexico 11/14
Celebrity Millennium - Asia -2/15
Sailed
RCCL Brilliance OTS - Scandinavia/Russia 6/14
RCCL Allure OTS - Western Caribbean 3/14
RCCL Oasis OTS 12/13
RCCL Brilliance OTS Canada/new England 10/13
HAL Oosterdam - Alaska - 9/13
Celebrity Solstice - Pacific Coastal - 5/13
RCCL Navigator OTS - TA 11/12
Celebrity Silhouette Italy & Adriatic 10/12
Celebrity Constellation - TA - 5/12
HAL Oosterdam - Mexico - 3/12
RCCL Navigator OTS - TA - 11/11
Sea Princess Alaska - 9/11
Celebrity Eclipse - Baltics - 6/11-
Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 3/11
NCL Jade-Eastern Med - 1/11
HAL Eurodam - Caribbean - 11/10
RCCL Mariner OTS - Mexico - 11/10
RCCL Jewel OTS - Transatlantic- 9/10
Crown Princess - North Cape - 7/10
Ocean Princess - Asia - 2/10
NCL Pride of America - Hawaii -1/10
Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal - 11/09
RCCL Mariner OTS - Mexico - 9/09
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 5/09
Celebrity Millenium - Aust/New Zealand - 3/09
Carnival Paradise - Mexico - 11/08
RCCL Explorer OTS - New England - 9/08
Celebrity Summit - Europe/Iberia - 4/08
Star Princess - South America/Horn - 3/08
Celebrity Century - Western Med - 11/07
HAL Ryndam - Western Coastal - 5/07
RCCL Monarch OTS - Mexico - 3/07
Sun Princess - Southern Caribbean - 11/06
Regal Princess - Alaska - 6/06
Celebrity Infinity - Mexico - 10/05
Celebrity Mercury - Mexico - 5/05
Grand Princess - New England - 10/04
RCCL Splendor OTS - Panama Canal - 1/04
RCCL Monarch OTS - Mexico - 7/03
Royal Princess - Northern Europe - 6/02
RCCL Viking Serenade - Mexico - 1/01
Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/00
RCCL Rhapsody OTS - Mexico - 1/00
RCCL Viking Serenade - Mexico - 8/99
RCCL Song of America - Mexico - 1/99
Royal Princess - Baltics - 6/98
RCCL Viking Serenade - Mexico 7/97
Marco Polo - Mediterranean - 8/96
Dawn Princess - Alaska - 7/91
Carnival Mardi Gras - Caribbean - 9/79

Old March 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAforever View Post
I need help deciding between 2 North Cape cruises I have reserved. One goes to Flam and the other doesn't. Will I be sorry if I miss taking the Flam train?
We are getting ready for a July 1-16, 2010 Norway Coast cruise that includes Flam and that rail ride. From everything I have heard, it is a wonderful and interesting stop. BUT, it is hard to nearly impossible to compare unless we knew and could see the full listing of all port stops for BOTH cruise options, if there are any differences in the cruise ship/line and dates, etc. Tell us more! Then, we could give some better reactions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Old March 25th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Terry's right that it's easier to judge by the whole itinerary, but here are my 2¢ anyway:

Will you be sorry if you miss taking the Flåm train?
If you're a train buff? Yes. If you're a civil engineering buff? Yes. Otherwise, maybe not.

Will you be sorry if you miss visiting Flåm in general?
The Sognefjord is one of the most famous fjords, and Nærøyfjord (the narrow branch that stretches to Gudvangen near Flåm) is one of the two UNESCO-listed fjords. If you're not visiting Geiranger (the other UNESCO-listed fjord), then you would probably miss out by not visiting Flåm. If you are visiting Geiranger, it's a question of how many of the iconic fjords you want to visit. If you want to see lots of fjords on your trip, then it's worth visiting. If you feel like you're getting enough fjord scenery from your other port calls, then I personally don't think Flåm is a must-visit.

My home ports:
Oslo - City & Cruise Port Guide, Scenic Walking Routes
Beijing - City Guide, Taxi Cards, Restaurant Suggestions

Cruise history:
Royal Caribbean: W. Caribbean (Rhapsody); Canary Islands (Voyager); N. Europe, Baltics, Norwegian Fjords (Vision)
Princess: East Asia, Alaska (Sapphire)
Cunard: Norwegian Fjords & Svalbard (Queen Elizabeth II)
Costa: Indian Ocean (Romantica)
GAdventures: Antarctic Peninsula & Weddell Sea (MS Explorer)
American Hawaii: Hawaii (SS Constitution)

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelite View Post
First I must say that I ADORE QM2, so perhaps my opinion is a bit jaded. Given her size, her space ration of passengers is exceptional and there is never a feeling of being crowded.

We did a Norway fjord cruise with her last August and it was extraordinary....so much so that we are booked to do another slightly different one on her this year. We stopped at Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen, Alesund and Geiranger....the trip thru Geirangerfjord is not to be missed. I know everyone hopes for bright blue skies and sun but I have to say that Geirangerfjord in the mist with the clouds kissing the middle of the mountains and cliffs while the tops of them reached for the sky had a mystical, magical feel that only made the surroundings more enticing to us. One feels truly insignificant navigating the twists and turns of the fjord, even on a ship the size of QM2. And the drive up the extraordinary serpentine road to the top of Mt Dalsnibba in Geiranger is fantastic.

Stavanger has always been a favorite place to me....the charming old town with its winding cobblestone streets and whitewashed wooden houses is just made for leisurely strolling and admiring the bountiful flowers everywhere. We spent half a day exploring the town by foot then took a delightful cruise up Lysefjord to Pulpit rock.Lysseford is one of those fjords whose beauty doesn't overwhelm from the start as Geirangerfjord does....rather it sneaks up on you and astounds with the variety of scenery that it offers. Cozy cottages and little farms cling to little patches of arable land and always the changing mountain scenery. We had a stop at themost amazing little "restaurant" for waffles, sour cream and strawberry jam...almost as good as the ones my Norwegian grandmother made for me when i'd spend childhood summers in Norway. I'd go back to Lysefjord in a heartbeat....it was tranquil and awe inspiring as well.

Bergen is another of my favorites and I am perfectly content to spend my day there around the harbor area soaking in the atmosphere. The fish market is marvelous fun with free samples offered throughout. I don't know if this is a regular thing or not but the day we were there we noticed loads of people heading for the market around 2:15 or so....we were then told that they were giving away the food that had been prepared for lunches. It was astounding...my husband followed the others and returned with a plate loaded with whalemeat, assorted shrimp, crab legs,several kinds of salmon, and other fish I didn't know. He had a grin on his face like Christmas....I believe that was the hi-light of his day there and it's tops on his list for this year.

Alesund is a lovely walking town and the views from Mt Aksla aren't to be missed back down to the harbor. We walked all over and then took a boat tour of Hjurundfjord, another exquisite jewel of a fjord with yet a different character to the scenery...I was in fjord heaven on this trip.

This August we will again repeat Hamburg, Bergen and Alesund then spedn the rest of the 2 weeks going to Trondheim, Tromsø, Honningavag, North Cape and the stop I am most looking forward to, the awesome Lofoten islands. While I'm sorry we'llnot do Geirangerfjord again. the rugged majesty of the Lofotens, with jagged mountains that erupt from the ocean floor and seem to cradle postcard fishing villages shoudl more than satisfy scenic cravings.

Norway is a jewel.....the scenery is mesmerizing and once experienced, will never be forgotten. As a Norwegian American it's a thrill for me to return to my roots. Qm2 makes it all the more special.

And thank you all for such wonderful experience sharing and tips...

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember Queen Mary 2 Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

Old March 25th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCOhio View Post
We are getting ready for a July 1-16, 2010 Norway Coast cruise that includes Flam and that rail ride. From everything I have heard, it is a wonderful and interesting stop. BUT, it is hard to nearly impossible to compare unless we knew and could see the full listing of all port stops for BOTH cruise options, if there are any differences in the cruise ship/line and dates, etc. Tell us more! Then, we could give some better reactions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio
Thanks Terry,
Both cruises share Bergen, Geiranger, Tromso and Honningsvag.
Differences:
The Constellation visits Olden, Molde and Alesund (7 ports).
Crown Princess visits Hellesylt, Trondheim, Flaam and Stavanger (8 ports).
Each ship has perks for us, so differences are minor, but it's the itinerary that may decide. That's where I am at a loss and any help is appreciated.
Sailed
RCCL Oasis OTS 12/13
HAL Oosterdam - Mexico - 3/12
RCCL Navigator OTS - TA - 11/11
Sea Princess Alaska - 9/11
Celebrity Eclipse - Baltics - 6/11-
Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 3/11
NCL Jade-Eastern Med - 1/11
HAL Eurodam - Caribbean - 11/10
RCCL Mariner OTS - Mexico - 11/10
RCCL Jewel OTS - Transatlantic- 9/10
Crown Princess - North Cape - 7/10
Ocean Princess - Asia - 2/10
NCL Pride of America - Hawaii -1/10
Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal - 11/09
RCCL Mariner OTS - Mexico - 9/09
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 5/09
Celebrity Millenium - Aust/New Zealand - 3/09
Carnival Paradise - Mexico - 11/08
RCCL Explorer OTS - New England - 9/08
Celebrity Summit - Europe/Iberia - 4/08
Star Princess - South America/Horn - 3/08
Celebrity Century - Western Med - 11/07
HAL Ryndam - Western Coastal - 5/07
RCCL Monarch OTS - Mexico - 3/07
Sun Princess - Southern Caribbean - 11/06
Regal Princess - Alaska - 6/06
Celebrity Infinity - Mexico - 10/05
Celebrity Mercury - Mexico - 5/05
Grand Princess - New England - 10/04
RCCL Splendor OTS - Panama Canal - 1/04
RCCL Monarch OTS - Mexico - 7/03
Royal Princess - Northern Europe - 6/02
RCCL Viking Serenade - Mexico - 1/01
Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/00
RCCL Rhapsody OTS - Mexico - 1/00
RCCL Viking Serenade - Mexico - 8/99
RCCL Song of America - Mexico - 1/99
Royal Princess - Baltics - 6/98
RCCL Viking Serenade - Mexico 7/97
Marco Polo - Mediterranean - 8/96
Dawn Princess - Alaska - 7/91
Carnival Mardi Gras - Caribbean - 9/79

Old March 25th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

CAforever,
If you choose the Connie come and join our roll call. Many of us have already planned our excursions and since we are less than 90 days the excitement builds. Either choice is a winner.

Don

Old March 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks Terry,
Both cruises share Bergen, Geiranger, Tromso and Honningsvag.
Differences:
The Constellation visits Olden, Molde and Alesund (7 ports).
Crown Princess visits Hellesylt, Trondheim, Flaam and Stavanger (8 ports).
Each ship has perks for us, so differences are minor, but it's the itinerary that may decide. That's where I am at a loss and any help is appreciated.
Hellesylt isn't really much of a port. It's usually just a tender call at one end of the Geirangerfjord to drop off or pick up passengers on overland excursions to/from Geiranger. Many cruises don't even allow passengers off the ship unless they're on such an excursion.

So really, you're comparing Olden, Molde, and Ålesund to Trondheim, Flåm, and Stavanger. In the first case, you're spending a lot more time in prime fjord country. A port call in Olden will give you the chance to visit the glacier, and Molde/Ålesund have more of the iconic west coast landscape. In the second case, you're calling at Trondheim and Stavanger, which are the 3rd & 4th largest cities in Norway. Neither is a big city, but they offer more in the way of culture and history. Stavanger also offers the chance to see the Lysefjord, which has a slightly different, rockier landscape from the fjord areas to the north. That paired with the call to Flåm (and thus a sail-in/sail-out through Sognefjord) means that you would still have the opportunity to see more fjords, but they're different fjord areas.

So in summary, the Constellation offers a lot more of the most famous Norwegian fjord area. If you want more time to explore this part of the country, I would go with this itinerary. The Crown Princess offers more variety with the extra cities and port calls in three different fjord areas. So if you want more of an overview of the whole of Norway, I would choose this one.

My home ports:
Oslo - City & Cruise Port Guide, Scenic Walking Routes
Beijing - City Guide, Taxi Cards, Restaurant Suggestions

Cruise history:
Royal Caribbean: W. Caribbean (Rhapsody); Canary Islands (Voyager); N. Europe, Baltics, Norwegian Fjords (Vision)
Princess: East Asia, Alaska (Sapphire)
Cunard: Norwegian Fjords & Svalbard (Queen Elizabeth II)
Costa: Indian Ocean (Romantica)
GAdventures: Antarctic Peninsula & Weddell Sea (MS Explorer)
American Hawaii: Hawaii (SS Constitution)

Old March 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I really appreciate your feedback. It made me feel better about the Constellation's ports. I'm now considering other differences such as airline costs which are very high. That's the trouble with summertime travel.
Sailed
RCCL Oasis OTS 12/13