Bergen - Mt. Ulriken

In reviewing the Mt. Ulriken site (http://www.ulriken643.no/en/Home/) the cost of the bus / cable car (with return) is appr. $40US, and leaves from around the fish market. If we take the excursion from the ship, the cost is $75US. Does anyone know of any issues of us walking to the fish market and taking the transportation on our own? Do we need to get tickets in advance or just buy them the day we get there? We'll be there on 03 July 2010.

Thanks for your help!

Jackie

Does anyone know of any issues of us walking to the fish market and taking the transportation on our own?

2009Boudicca31714-vi.jpg

You maybe see the cruise ship on the right at the berth???

If you go to the center to the end of the bay: that's the fish market.

It's maybe a walk of about 20-25 minutes.

2009Boudicca30512-vi.jpg

So always have the water on the right side and the shore left and straight ahead until the water ends (in the center bay).

Pass Bryggen

2009Boudicca31006-vi.jpg

and see on the right side for the fish market:

2009Boudicca31013-vi.jpg

Yummy, yummy, yummy... but expensive, expensive, expensive...

You have not asked but maybe interested to know what we discovered: look what we saw in front of the cruise terminal's gate to the street:

2009Boudicca31001-vi.jpg

Looked like the Ulriken Bus also called the cruise terminal when cruise ships arrived...

Regards

HeinBloed

I assume we can just purchase the tickets when we get on the bus?

No idea - we went after Norway in a Nutshell (Berger-Railway, Flaam-Railway, Aurlandfjord, Naeroyfjord, Gudvangen, Voss) to the "competitor" of Mt. Ulriken: Flöi...

But I am sure they will sell tickets with the driver or give you a break at the fish market to buy the ticket before you continue.

You can find our impressions of our Bergen call here:

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com/2009/08/tag-31-auf-der-day-31-auf-der-boudicca.html

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com/2009/08/tag-32-auf-der-day-32-on-boudicca-in.html

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com/2009/08/tag-33-auf-der-day-33-on-boudicca-in.html

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com/2009/08/tag-34-auf-der-day-34-on-boudicca-in.html

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com/2009/08/tag-35-auf-der-day-35-on-boudicca-in.html

There is also somewhere a picture of Mt. Ulriken.

Regards

HeinBloed

In reviewing the Mt. Ulriken site (http://www.ulriken643.no/en/Home/) the cost of the bus / cable car (with return) is appr. $40US, and leaves from around the fish market. If we take the excursion from the ship, the cost is $75US. Does anyone know of any issues of us walking to the fish market and taking the transportation on our own? Do we need to get tickets in advance or just buy them the day we get there? We'll be there on 03 July 2010. Thanks for your help! Jackie

Hi, Jackie! We are going to be in Bergen on July 14. This seems to be one of these "trade-off" questions. Ulriken is the highest of the Seven Mountains that surround Bergen, but it takes more time and effort to get and go there than the closer option of the viewpoint from Mount Floyen with its Floibanen funicular railway that goes to the top of this 1050-foot high peak. Ulriken is 2,109 feet above sea level and farther away from the water and main docking places. Much might depend on the weather for the days each of us will be there in Bergen. Other reactions and insights on these two good options?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

According to the Bergen Guide I have you can get a bus from the port to city centre (near fish market) for 1E, $1, 8 NOK or just walk

You can buy tickets for the Ulrikem double decker bus on the bus, at the Tourist Information or the cable car

It will be great if the bus stops at the port area though

If you go to the center to the end of the bay: that's the fish market. It's maybe a walk of about 20-25 minutes. HeinBloed

THANKS for the many great pictures from Bergen! It really helps to see those visuals and put everything in perspective on locations, views. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Floyen is a funicular, Ulriken is a cable car. You may get lucky and your ship will be closer in to town. Very walkable.

From those who have been up and done both, here's my question. Assuming it's a nice day and know that Ulriken is at a much higher level of view, is it worth the added distance and effort doing the cable car versus just the Floyen funicular? Any other comparisons or differences that speaks to . . . which one of these two options is better?

We’ve taken the Ulriksbanen (= cable car up Ulriken) once and the Floibanen (= funicular up Mt Floyen = Fløyfjellet) many times when in Bergen.

Here’s some info that may help you decide:

1) view from Ulriken is much more spectacular on a clear day because the mountain is much higher (642m vs Fløyfjellet’s 399m)

- as a result, it’s colder on top, whereas on Mt Floien there isn’t a noticeable difference unless it’s windy

2) as you probably know - Bergen is very rainy - if you’ve ever taken an Alaska cruise, you’ll understand me when I say it’s the Ketchican of Norway. I’d estimate we’ve had rain there on about 50% of our visits.

You can enjoy Fløyfjellet even if it’s raining (as long as it’s only a light rain/umbrella-type weather) since the trails at the top are not rugged.

OTOH, it wouldn’t be very enjoyable to go up Ulriken in the rain (IMHO) since it’s much more rugged if you want to walk around up top.

3) Because the views from both are weather dependent, I’d never book a ship’s shorex to take the Floibanen - you’re stuck paying the inflated price even if it’s so foggy that you can’t see anything and you certainly don’t need a tour to enjoy the hiking trails at the top. Unbelievably, HAL charges $84USD for this!!

How to get to Fløyfjellet

It’s very easy, flat, short (no more than 1km) walk along the harbourfront and the Bryggen from where the ships usually dock to the lower station of the Floibanen. Just turn left at the end of the Bryggen (where the Fish Market starts) on Vetrlidsallmenningen and look for the line-up that is usually oozing out of the station at the end of the street.

Some of the larger cruise ships dock at another pier on the other side of the city centre, but it’s also within walking distance (although a shuttle is usually offered).

If you do take the funicular up, I’d stongly suggest buying a 1-way ticket only, and walking down. The route of the trail through the trees and then along the streets leading down to the city centre is beautiful, and you can’t get lost - trails at the top are well marked as you can see on the map on the website http://www.floibanen.com/

How to get Mt Ulriken

As mentioned in a previous post, you can buy a bus/cable car combo ticket at the Tourist Office for 245NOK

http://www.ulriken643.no/en/Home/ or take the local bus (#2, 31 or 50) from the corner of Olav Kyrres gta and Småstrandgaten. The bus stop is outside the Xhibition store (which is part of a shopping centre).

The fare is 25NOK per adult single ticket and you pay driver.

Get off at Haukeland Sykehus (Hospital) and walk approx. 10min uphill to Ulriksbanen lower station

I’d suggest you confirm these instructions at the Tourist Office before setting out.

Ulriksbanen is 145NOK return trip

Bottom line - yes, it’s well worth taking the Ulriksbanen up for the superior view on a good day if you want to spend the extra time. Whether you DIY to Ulriksbanen via the local bus or buy the package bus/cable car combo depends on whether you want to save 50NOK pp.

In reviewing the Mt. Ulriken site (http://www.ulriken643.no/en/Home/) the cost of the bus / cable car (with return) is appr. $40US, and leaves from around the fish market. If we take the excursion from the ship, the cost is $75US. Does anyone know of any issues of us walking to the fish market and taking the transportation on our own? Do we need to get tickets in advance or just buy them the day we get there? We'll be there on 03 July 2010.

Thanks for your help!

Jackie

Information about to get to Mt. Ulriken on your own.

Ulriken cable car costs 145 NOK for a both way ticket and there are ticket machines inside there.

There is also possible to take the bus to Haukeland Sykehus (Hospital) and walk up

the road to Ulriken Cable car (about 10 min walk)

The buses costs 25 NOK each way and the buses to Haukeland are:

No: 2 Birkelundstoppen

No: 31 Lægdene/Montana

No: 50 Lagunen

The bus stop is at Xhibition shopping mall as you can see here

At Haukeland you jump off here right before a tunell

You can also make the driver to tell you when you are there.

Just walk on the bridge over the road that you can see on streetview and

when you have crossed it you will meet white roadsigns to Ulriksbanen :)

About 10 min walk

Thats how you can get there on your own or just grab a taxi :D

As someone has said before it's hard to know what kind of weater you will get

and many times it will rain, but also Ulriken can also be above the clouds

I will rcomend early as possible if you want good photo's from the top,

then you will have the sun behind you when you are there.

Here are some of my recent pictures, taken between 09-10am

20394.jpg

20396.jpg

20398.jpg

20399.jpg

Information about to get to Mt. Ulriken on your own. Here are some of my recent pictures, taken between 09-10am

THANKS for the pictures/mountain views! My sense, in preparing for our first visit to Bergen, is that there are "TRADE-OFFS" between these two locations. Mt. Floyen is closer and easier to access, giving better views of the "historic/market" areas, etc. Mt. Ulriken is much higher and more dramatic in viewing a larger area all around Bergen. Weather will be a factor for either location. We now know that they are both good options, but we'll be waiting till we are closer to our arrival date on July 14 to decide which one fits best for our interests. After seeing so much along the Norway Coast up to the North Cape and back before arriving in Bergen, there's no need to decide now our choice. Fortunately, we are docked 8 am-11 pm in Bergen, allowing more time and flexibility there. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS for the pictures/mountain views! My sense, in preparing for our first visit to Bergen, is that there are "TRADE-OFFS" between these two locations. Mt. Floyen is closer and easier to access, giving better views of the "historic/market" areas, etc. Mt. Ulriken is much higher and more dramatic in viewing a larger area all around Bergen. Weather will be a factor for either location. We now know that they are both good options, but we'll be waiting till we are closer to our arrival date on July 14 to decide which one fits best for our interests. After seeing so much along the Norway Coast up to the North Cape and back before arriving in Bergen, there's no need to decide now our choice. Fortunately, we are docked 8 am-11 pm in Bergen, allowing more time and flexibility there. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If you want some more anternaltives for you visit if you are interessted, you can visit the

"New sience center"

To get there it's just to jump on the green free fare citybuses :)

If you want some more anternaltives for you visit if you are interessted, you can visit the

"New sience center"

To get there it's just to jump on the green free fare citybuses :)

THANKS for the suggestion! Personally, science centers are not as much "my thing" or ranking as the highest priority. I'll check back after their May 31 opening to see some pictures. After seeing a number of top science centers previously, it would have to be pretty unique and special to merit the time in Bergen compared to their many other great options there. I'm more interested in some of the historic areas with the charming architecture, etc. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

T4TC - This is a link to the Bergen Turlag (= Hiking Club)

http://www.bergen-turlag.no/article.php?ar_id=5233&fo_id=2706

If you click on the link for Vidden, you'll be able to download a map of the route from Mt Ulriken to Mt Floyen - not exactly what you asked for, but it does show trails up Mt Ulriken.

I'd suggest you contact Bergen Turlag directly and ask them where to find the info you want online, or by dropping into their headquarters when you're in Bergen at Tverrgaten 4-6.

• 4 months later...
Thanks to all for providing such great info! Kirk

THANKS to Kirk for "freshening up" this earlier posting! While in Bergen on July 14, we were super lucky to have a spectacular and beautiful day. Great sunshine and clear skies!! That's not normal. For the entire week following our visit, they had rain every day.

What did we do? Master Tom had posted wonderful pictures on Mt. Ulriken, but the logistics were easier for our group in going to the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview. The walk to that lower station is closer to the Fish Market and the historic warehouses. Below are some of my visuals from that visit. Earlier on our cruise, we had great high views in Alesund and Tromso, plus in the various fjords, etc. Lots to see and enjoy along this wonderful Norway coast. Below you can connect and see all of the details pictures from our trip.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Other Norway cities have great vista locations. This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360 degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Taking the cable car up to the top of Mt. Storsteinen at 1,260 feet provides great views of Tromso, its islands, mountains and water. With our mid-day weather so sunny, it really helped enjoy this city in such a great setting.:

TromsoOverallCityView.jpg

What do people from Ohio who are OSU football fans do when visiting scenic places like Bergen? They spell out O-H-I-O!!! Go Bucks!

BergenOHIOspellOut.jpg

• 2 months later...

Luvnorway or MasterTom,

Where can one find some detailed information on the public buses? I have searched and searched and can not find anything like a map or schedule of the routes. Thanks for any help you can provide, your info on Mt. Ulriken643 has been very helpful.

Kirk

Luvnorway or MasterTom,

Where can one find some detailed information on the public buses? I have searched and searched and can not find anything like a map or schedule of the routes. Thanks for any help you can provide, your info on Mt. Ulriken643 has been very helpful.

Kirk

Just received 0FFICAL GUIDE TO BERGEN AND THE REGION

GOOGLE BERGAN NORWAY AND SIGH OU FOR FREE GUIDE

ALSO TRY visitBergen.com

We ahve planed a trip i July 2011

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Just received 0FFICAL GUIDE TO BERGEN AND THE REGION GOOGLE BERGAN NORWAY AND SIGH OU FOR FREE GUIDE

ALSO TRY visitBergen.com We ahve planed a trip i July 2011 STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Good luck in your July 2011 planning for Bergen. For our Dayton neighbor, this Buckeye says you will super love Bergen. From the below web link, you can see lots of pictures and details from our July 2010 Norway Coast cruise on what we did and enjoyed there. Let us know any questions. Here's one picture for us spelling out O-H-I-O when on the mountaintop overlooking the scenic Bergen harbor.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 26,450 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

What do people from Ohio who are OSU fans do when visiting scenic places like Bergen? They spell out O-H-I-O!!! Go Bucks!

BergenOHIOspellOut.jpg

Luvnorway or MasterTom,

Kirk

Hello

There had been some huge changes around the public buses this summer.

The new company Skyss are responsible for all public transportation in Bergen since 22 June 2010.

The new pages in English: http://www.skyss.no/nn-no/GlobalToppMeny1/English/Timetables-and-maps/Timetables/

Then press "Bergen" - "Bergen sentrum, Fyllingsdalen, Loddefjord og Åsane" and then you can chose the bus on the pdf symbol

"Gamle Brannstrasjon" is the new stop for these buses now

No. 2 & 31 to Haukeland Sykehus (Ulriken) are still the same, but bus no. 50 are replaced with bus no. 29

Archived