LIVE from Explorer 6/19-24

Okay, I will start with the disclaimers.

I am not Radio, and I am not Meg, and I can't imagine filling their deck chairs.

And I am technically not live from the Explorer. Yet. But I didn't think "LIVE from New Jersey" would garner many views.

But DH and I, God willing, will board her tomorrow. So I will do my best to post an update or two each day to share what I am certain will be a great cruise on a great ship.

I will try to post some photos, too, if the internet speed allows me to upload them at a not-too-glacial pace.

We did have a wonderful day today in NYC. We flew from Ohio this morning, checked into the Newark Penn Station Hilton, and were on our way to the city by 9:30. Here's a pic of the station from our room:

DSC_0005.jpg

We headed to the city via PATH to the World Trade Center, then walked all the way along Battery Park. They were making practice runs for the Red Bull Air Races, which was a lot of fun to watch:

DSC_0019.jpg

Then we visited St. Paul's church and the Sept. 11 memorial preview center before taking the subway to Rockefeller Center.

We visited Top of the Rock:

DSC_0076.jpg

Had lunch at the Rock Cafe (very good but very expensive), then visited St. Patrick's Cathedral:

DSC_0091.jpg

We took a cross town bus to the Intrepid Museum. Because we are geeky like that. But it was cool, and fun to check out the Manhattan Cruise Terminal next door:

DSC_0107.jpg

Then it was back to the bus to go to 5th Avenue and gawk at the stores before a short stroll through Central Park:

DSC_0139.jpg

There was time to play tourist in Times Square before dinner, a show (Jersey Boys - great!), and back to the hotel via subway and PATH.

A wonderful start to our vacation. Here's hoping our good fortune will continue! Stay tuned....

Sue

Hi Sue,

We get on the explorer on Thurs as you get off and are staying at the same Hilton for 2 nights pre-cruise.

Thanks for the photos, i wasn't expecting the station to be tha close to the hotel.

Enjoy your trip!

Jayne

Hi Sue,

We get on the explorer on Thurs as you get off and are staying at the same Hilton for 2 nights pre-cruise.

Thanks for the photos, i wasn't expecting the station to be tha close to the hotel.

Enjoy your trip!

Jayne

Jayne,

We will try to keep her in good shape for you!

Let me know if you have any questions about the hotel. It has worked out wonderfully for us. We are now waiting for 10:00 to roll around so that we can take the car service to the port!

There is an enclosed walkway from the hotel lobby to the station - it's very convenient.

I got a lot of advice from experienced NYC travelers on the East Coast Departures board about getting around, and it worked like a charm.

Is it 10:00 yet?????

Sue

Great pictures, Sue. Have a great time. As we were walking this morning, I told my DH that if we hadn't canceled, we would be on this cruise. So, we will be "on" it with you. It looks like you will have nice weather. Enjoy.

Sandy

Everything smooth so far.

Black car picked us up at the Hilton right at 10:00. The driver was a little on the brusque side, but got us here with no problem, in an Escalade no less, so no complaints from us.

We left the hotel by 10:05 and were turning into the Cape Liberty entrance by 10:22. The traffic was smooth, just a backup entering the dropoff area starting at about the road where folks were coming out. So we were dropping off our luggage by 10:40, and checkin was easy and smooth. We had seapasses in hand and were enjoying lemonade and cookies by 10:55.

The agent said we would probably board around noon. They are showing the world cup game on the waiting area tvs, and we have books.

Posting this from my iPhone, will update tonight.

Bermuda here we come!

Sue

Muster drill in half an hour, so exciting!

We are ready to change the view from our balcony (our first!) from the lovely rustbucket being worked on in drydock to the wide open Atlantic.

But everything is great so far, lovely ship and friendly staff.

Will report later!

Sue

Muster drill in half an hour, so exciting!

We are ready to change the view from our balcony (our first!) from the lovely rustbucket being worked on in drydock to the wide open Atlantic.

But everything is great so far, lovely ship and friendly staff.

Will report later!

Sue

Im so excited for your review...We are thinking about this ship next july and have heard a mix of things from its great to its rusty and warn out looking.

Have fun..I will stay tuned for more!!!:p

Woohoo! I am so excited to "cruise" with you! DH and I will be on this trip in October - first cruise in 10 years, and first balcony! :D I cant wait to hear all about it! Have a wonderful time, and thanks for taking the time to post!

Sub,

Just a little info.As a retired Firefighter from Newark,looking at the picture of Penn Station I got the urge for spanish food.Just on the other sideof the Station is Ferry Street and a good resturant called Iberia.When I was working We would call there and get take out dinners.It is less then a 10 walk from the hotel.Just ask at the desk.

DanP, sounds great, but we have sailed and are going straight to the airport when we return Thursday. I guess I will just have to take another trip here!

Okay, guys, I am really tired. But it’s a good tired. I AM ON A CRUISE!!!

Happy we got to the port early. People who arrived around noon, instead of before 11 as we did, had MUCH longer waits.

Happy to have been eating lunch at the Windjammer by 12:30. Even after only three cruises, we realize it’s the Genesis of an RCL cruise vacation.

Happy to sail under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge on a beautiful Saturday, talking with new friends from CC.

Happy to meet the nice people at our table in the dining room.

Happy that our head waiter Noel, assistant waiter Ice (best. name. ever.), and head waiter Kumar, not to mention our room steward Manuel, seem like kind men who want to make our cruise experience wonderful.

Just a few pics below. I promise many more when I return and have more time and energy for uploading.

Thank you for all the kind words. Sea day tomorrow, SOOOO looking forward to it.

The “tent” at Bayonne:

DSC_0007.jpg

Check-in:

DSC_0008.jpg

Waiting area:

DSC_0013.jpg

Photo from the ship showing where the shuttle buses pick up passengers at the terminal to be transported to the ship:

DSC_0039.jpg

Drink of the day in the Viking Crown. Ahhhh....

DSC_0076.jpg

The LOVELY view in port from our (first ever) balcony:

DSC_0078.jpg

More to come...

Pool deck:

DSC_0023.jpg

Clearing the Verrazano Narrows Bridge:

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

Parade on the Promenade, including CD Jimmy Rhodes:

DSC_0008-1.jpg

Okay, to prove I am not a total Pollyanna, just a couple not-so-positives:

Desserts in the Windjammer - eh. We enjoy the salads, main dishes, and side dishes, but desserts REALLY need work. A lighter hand on the gelatin would help.

Comedian Jimmy Korso had some funny moments, but some lame ones as well. And the whole “Make a Wish” and RCL commercial at the start of the Welcome Show was about three times longer than it should have been.

Parade seemed, I don’t know, forced? Just kind of a “throw out some exotic music, garish costumes and props evocative of international themes, add some atmospheric lighting, and hope everyone buys into it” vibe. Is it just I who feel that way?

Did I mention I am looking forward to a sea day? More updates tomorrow, I promise! And LOTS more photos when I return. In other words, I will do that when uploading and posting photos is the best remedy for PCD. LA LA LA I am not listening. Living in the moment!

Sue

If you have a chance to post a pic of a daily compass and a dinner menu, we'd love to see them. Enjoy !

Just a quick morning update...I will scan and share compasses after my return, I promise.

Had a fun trivia session with some new friends, Marcia and Louise from NJ. We won PENS!! :cool:a

Beautiful day, warm and not too windy. Time to head to the Solarium with my iPod. Ahhh....

Report tonight with pics! Let me know if anyone wants me to check out anything specific.

Until tonight...

Sue

We got off as you were getting on. We miss the Explorer :( We didn't really enjoy Jimmy Corso so much either. He was funny in his regular show, but the Adults Only wasn't that great. You should check out Jonathan Clark if they have him for your itinerary. He was GREAT!

Just a quick morning update...I will scan and share compasses after my return, I promise.

Had a fun trivia session with some new friends, Marcia and Louise from NJ. We won PENS!! :cool:a

Beautiful day, warm and not too windy. Time to head to the Solarium with my iPod. Ahhh....

Report tonight with pics! Let me know if anyone wants me to check out anything specific.

Until tonight...

Sue

You won pens ? ! You can take them right out of the desk drawer in your cabin ;)

Archived