LIVE from Explorer 6/19-24

crisndeefromde We were on the EOS a few years ago and don't remember them having a salad bar in the MDR....is this something new? Do you remember what was on it? thanks. Iris

The salad bar replaced the former pasta bar they had in the MDR. I missed the pasta bar when I sailed the Explorer in February of this year.

I'm enjoying your review! I am taking a group on the Explorer in Sept. and also plan on booking a tour, can you tell me what driver didn't follow through? Some of the group want to do snorkeling and I have Jessie James in mind, can you tell me what time the excursion was and how you liked it? Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for the pictures. My husband is on board with his family. His parents are celebrating their 50th.

I wish I was there looks wonderful.

It IS wonderful! The weather is absolutely picture perfect. We have met about three family groups with the grandparents celebrating their 50th anniversaries. Maybe we have met your husband!

I'm enjoying your review! I am taking a group on the Explorer in Sept. and also plan on booking a tour, can you tell me what driver didn't follow through? Some of the group want to do snorkeling and I have Jessie James in mind, can you tell me what time the excursion was and how you liked it? Thanks for all your help!

Duke Soares was the driver we had contacted and received a response from, but he did not show up Monday morning. I have not tried to email him to see what happened. He has great reviews on TripAdvisor and CC, so not sure what the problem was. As I said, we had an incredible day in spite of it!

We did Jessie James this morning, and had a blast. I will post pics and more info tonight.

I like how you have the Royal Caribbean funnel in the background.:D

Jimbo:)

Gosh, how did THAT get in there??? :rolleyes:

More tonight, have to go watch the last runners to the ship from our balcony before sailaway! All aboard in about a half hour. :(

Sue

crisndeefromde We were on the EOS a few years ago and don't remember them having a salad bar in the MDR....is this something new? Do you remember what was on it? thanks. Iris

This has been on alot of the ships starting this past year maybe? It is available when the dining room is open for lunch. You can have this in addition to the menu or just the salad bar. You tell the chefs what you would like to have in your bowl and they put it all in for you and mix it for you and away you go. OMG...awesome..

We are so sad to have left Bermuda, but at least we have a sea day tomorrow to relax and try to do a few more ship activities.

Especially since this is a short cruise, we are just trying to enjoy the things we can do and not even worry about anything we don’t have the time or inclination for this time.

Our Jessie James snorkel tour this morning was AMAZING. He picked us up at the Dockyard (14 guests total, from hotels, NCL, and just the two of us from Explorer) at about 9, and we were soon headed out to the first of three shipwrecks and then a reef.

As there is a serious dearth of snorkel spots in OHIO, we do not have many occasions to enjoy the activity. So although we did not see a great variety of sea life, we just loved the clear water, perfect weather, and the serenity that floating in salt water brings. I tried our little camera in an Aquapac, and although the pics aren’t great, there are a few pretty good ones below.

We also had a great reinforcement of why we book private tours whenever we can - after leaving the second shipwreck and moving on to the third several hundred yards away, we looked back to where we had previously been to see not one, not two, but THREE big ship’s excursion tour boats over the wreck, and probably almost 100 snorkelers in the water. Not my idea of a fun time!

Our captain and his two young helpers were terrific, telling us info about Bermuda and what we were seeing. We were back on Explorer about noon, so we showered and had a great Windjammer lunch.

After lunch we went back out to explore the Dockyard area. We went to the Maritime Museum and traipsed around there for quite a while. It was on the warm side, especially up on the museum grounds, so we just HAD to wet our whistles with a swizzle at the Frog and Onion after leaving the museum and before watching the glass blowers.

We meandered back to the ship about 3 (all aboard was 4:30), to watch some soccer and chill in our cabin, hopefully watching any runners from the balcony! I called room service to order a chili chorizo dip, which was on the menu in the cabin, but they said they don’t have that any more, but they do have a spinach and artichoke dip. So we got that. With extra chips - thanks, CC. It was delish.

I was primed to tape any runners trying to get back to the ship at the last minute, but there was not much action until right at 5 (scheduled sailaway time), when a taxi pulled up and a young couple, each holding a sleeping child, strolled up the gangway at 5:02. They pulled up the gangway right after they entered, so it seems they were the only stragglers.

Some pics below of pulling away, so sad to see beautiful Bermuda get smaller in the distance. An amazing place - I know we’ll be back.

Photo tour for the day:

First wreck we visited on the snorkel tour, although we did not go in the water here. Fish went on a feeding frenzy!

DSCN0099.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

Snorkel pics:

DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

These were cement bags from one of the shipwrecks:

DSCN0134.jpg

Our captain Jamie, and his helper Dominic:

DSCN0226.jpg

More next post...

Just popping in this morning before an "action-packed" sea day...trivia, world cup (go USA!), more trivia, ice show, possible nap...you get the picture.

Let me know if anyone wants a photo of anything today. I will be wandering, camera in hand.

Weather is still wonderful. Warm, not too windy, smooth sailing.

Until tonight,

Sue

Archived