Miami Voyager debarkation-from-hell

JMTtor

I'm just now home recuperating from the horrendous debarkation yesterday 1/15 from Voyager of the Seas in Miami. From those on our bus to the airport, I understand both our ship and its twin, the Navigator of the Seas (both of which hold 3,200 passengers) had similar problems (as we heard on the bus to, and at, the airport). BTW, after the cruise we just completed, we're now Diamond members (and we've also cruised a few other lines: Norwegian, Celebrity, Premier, old Carnival). This is the WORST - most disorganized - debarkation we ever experienced!!

Although we had a GREAT time on the cruise, we were all excessively delayed getting off the ship. Here's a rundown, in case you want a somewhat amusing (looking back on it) - aggravating as the experience was - story to read:

We were to be off the ship by 9:30 according to our tags (we were waiting in the Platinum/Diamond debarkation lounge, and the tags being called ALL were coming very late - at least an hour after the scheduled times. We heard the previous announcements, but when it got to be 10:40, as we had a 12:15 flight out of Fort Lauderdale, we made our way to ask when our tag color would be called. It turns out they had called it a few minutes earlier (but it didn't go into the lounge, apparently).

On previous cruises we had priority debarkation as Platinum members,m but not this one )and when I checked the latest C&A magazine for benefits, that benefit is now reserved for Diamond members, apparently). Others in the lounge told us that they were Diamond members and they ended up with no priority tags either, and that they and the people they were traveling with ended up with different colored tags though they had informed RCCL that they had to be off the ship at the same time.

We walked down the gangway almost an hour and a half behind our scheduled time. Then, because of problems they had with unloading the luggage - and then the carousel got stuck and we stood and waited for another hour - probably several hundred people (including us) missed their flights home as a result. I'm writing this as a warning to anyone not to book flights until after at least 2p. if you want to be sure of making them (on past cruises, we were off the ship no later than 10 a.m. and had no problems getting to the airport on time for an early afternoon flight - never again!!).

Since the bus left the port at 11:35 and our flight was to leave at 12:15, I called from the bus to the airport and after holding for a half-hour got info on a later flight for a $25 per person standby fee, which the agent told me (and I knew from other experiences) could be waived. I was able to get a later flight for no additional charge (US Airways was LOADED with affected people from the ships and apparently made changes at no charge for many), but the flight services person who handled our baggage on the sidewalk took forever. We watched people around us - who were on the same bus from the port that we were - getting put on a flight to Philadelphia that would have gotten us back to Harrisburg only fifteen minutes after our original arrival time. Since the curbside checkin attendant had taken our passports and original flight information, there wasn't anything we could do to have one of the other people handle our things. The flight that the US Air agent told me about when I called (and she told me that there were plenty of seats on that flight and that instead of paying the $100 per ticket change fee we should just do the standby) was full by the time he got done screwing around with our stuff - looking back on it, I think he was trying to get me to give him money BEFORE he took care of our tickets.

To top it off, after I gave the lowlife a ten dollar tip for his "help" (which would have been larger had he hustled like the other guys there), he tried to shake me down for a bigger tip when he was handing me our documents by repeatedly telling me that "maybe you don't understand - I saved you $100 a ticket" and criticizing me for getting to the airport late when I explained that we, as most of the people there at the time, were detained by the cruise line and not anything we did. I took our documents from him and walked inside to go through security without giving him any more money.

Then as we were walking into the security line when I was telling my daughter that the guy tried to shake me down, she said, "Here he comes - he's coming after you." If you've ever been to the Fort Lauderdale airport, you know that the security checkpoint is probably AT LEAST 40 or 50 yards inside the entrance. As we moved through the line (thankfully no waiting) to the metal detector, he was shouting out to me, AGAIN trying to hassle me for money instead of doing his job as the other agents were doing. I ignored him and got through the detector - THANK GOD. We were really worried that he would try something with our checked bags (and since we haven't unpacked all of those yet, who knows - maybe he did), but at least we saw them being put on the plane and they did get back home with us.

My 18-year-old daughter was so angry about the entire situation (from ship to airport) she was almost in tears - after we got through the detector she told me she never wanted to travel again (I tried to comfort her, but it didn't help much at the time). It took her about an hour to decompress - I told her in the airport later that had I my wits more about me at the time I should have stood there and called, "Security!" when he came at me again. I wish I had gotten his name - I still may try to report him by description (he was at least 6'3" and built like a linebacker).. The other guys there were nowhere near that large, and they were hustling to help people, unlike his delaying and intimidating behavior.

So - instead of getting back to Harrisburg at 5:30 as we were scheduled, or getting on the 12:45 flight that the phone agent had mentioned (from our original 12:15p. flight), we ended up on a 1:30 flight to Charlotte (which was delayed for an hour due to the weather in Fort Lauderdale being crappy). We then had a four-hour wait since the only connecting flight out of Charilotte to Harrisburg left Charlotte at 8:15p. and was scheduled to arrive at 9:45p. Luckily, since the weather was so good by then, the pilots ended up cutting off a half-hour and getting in at 9:22. By the time we got our luggage and got out of the terminal it was our original arrival time. So far, so good.

Then when the shuttle dropped us off at the long-term parking at HIA, the lock on the car door was FROZEN SOLID and the key wouldn't go in. Of course because I didn't want to take the big keychain, I took the valet key (which doesn't have the electronic opener on it) and not the regular key for the car, so while I tried to work the lock I told my daugher to go back to the bus shelter and flag down the bus to see if she could go back to the terminal and get some lock deicer at the store there, or find someone who might have some.

The bus driver brought her right back to the car and got out with a lighter - she had radioed the terminal and the store with that stuff was closed, but the guy on the radio told her that he had once used a cigarette lighter. The driver got out with her lighter - saying, "See? Sometimes smoking can be a good thing!" She had to heat the key several times, but it worked and we were able to get out (I thanked her profusely and gave her cash for her help, which she at first refused but we convinced her to take).

Our two greyhounds were ecstatic to see us and made us feel like most loved and important people on the face of the earth when we got home, so after all the hassles there was at least a happy ending. We did have a great time up to yesterday - and we already have our next trip scheduled, as soon as my daugther gets done with college in May!! Hey, ya gotta have SOMETHING to look forward to!! ; )

Jeez--sorry to hear of your horror story...............hope in the long run,it wont take away from your week onboard ship........

Just want to point out something you said

On previous cruises we had priority debarkation as Platinum members,m but not this one )and when I checked the latest C&A magazine for benefits, that benefit is now reserved for Diamond members, apparently

It has always been just for Diamond members even though some of the other ships let the Platinum ones get early disembakation too.........I used to think it was for both until one time(March 2003) they didnt let us(platinum at the time) get off the ship with the Diamond members.............I went home and sure enough it was just a benfit for the Diamond ones..

Anyway,hope your next experince is a better one.........

Thanks. This was the first time we encountered debarkation problems with RCCL (though we've had them on other lines). I'm going to write and let them know that this HAS to be fixed, as we overheard many people saying they were so unhappy they would think twice before going again (and I'll bet RCCL gets LOTS of feedback on this one!!).

Thanks. This was the first time we encountered debarkation problems with RCCL (though we've had them on other lines). I'm going to write and let them know that this HAS to be fixed, as we overheard many people saying they were so unhappy they would think twice before going again (and I'll bet RCCL gets LOTS of feedback on this one!!).

I wrote to them ones with this exact same problem and they did nothing. Simply apologized for my inconvenience and that's all.

Sorry about your horror story.

John

• 1 month later...

I'm not certain in reading this that the problem was with RCCL... It may have just as likely been an issue with customs. There was a similar situation on the cruise before ours and the problem turned out to with customs. It's a frustrating way to end a vacation, tho, regardless of where the problem lies.

I'm not certain in reading this that the problem was with RCCL... It may have just as likely been an issue with customs. There was a similar situation on the cruise before ours and the problem turned out to with customs. It's a frustrating way to end a vacation, tho, regardless of where the problem lies.

When I was on the Vision in Dec. one of the crue members told me that a few weeks before, customs did not let anyone off the ship before 10;30 or so, it seems they brought in the drug sniffing dogs in and they found large amounts of pot, when the people who were involved went to get there luggage, they had a free ride from the port.

JMTtor-

I'm not familiar with U.S. Airways system- but I am with some other airline computer systems and most do have "trails" that tell who checked your bags in. If your baggage tags came out of a computerized system they probably have a record of who issued them.

If I were you- I'd write a letter to U.S.Air providing full info of date/time/description of the curbside check in situation. Also, if you have the ticket claim checks include copies of those. My guess is they CAN and SHOULD track down this character.

Inexcusable. Whether he was just incompetent or trying to rip you off- what if you simply didn't have any "extra" cash? What would he have done then? Kept your clothes?

I admire your ability to at least see some humor in the situation. Not always easy to do but sure does help the blood pressure.

Sorry for all the problems, it sounds very frustrating but that stuff just HAPPENS sometimes. You can't predict when a machine is going to break, and/or when Customs is going to be "slow". The "scheduled" departure time is only an ESTIMATE though.

I'm not criticizing you, but I would hope the next time you schedule a flight so early, you would request EARLY debarkation. If I were arriving at the Port of Miami and had no choice but to take a 12:15pm flight from FLL I would demand white, or at the latest, green or orange tags, and then I would take a TAXI!

I just NEVER use cruise line transportation OR let the cruise line book my flights, EVER, regardless of cost. Some things are just worth paying more for. I learned that lesson years ago.

As for US Air, I would definitely take that up with them. I hope you've saved your baggage tags as there is usually a code on them that will identify the person who issued them.

We were on the same Voyager cruise. I never book a flight before 2. As a result, we had a leisurely breakfast in the dining room, left the ship at 10am, took the RCCL transfer to Ft Lauderdale, relaxed and had an enjoyable flight home. I am not gloating but rather just trying to point out the different experiences passengers encounter. We had use of the diamond lounge in the Seville Room on the ship (its a side room off teh main dining rooms). I personally IMHO don't understand why people want to rush off the ship. So far, after 34 cruises, my planning has been good with respect to not taking an early flight. Just something to consider for those still making their plans.

All the best.

I'm hardly a diamond or platinum member *heavy sigh....someday* Our first cruise out of Fort Lauderdale (we sailed from Lauderdale) was after 2:00 PM and we were misserable waiting for our flight, so this time I booked a 11:45 flight out of Miami (from Miami). I'm hoping our debakation will be reflected due to the time of our flight....as it should be. I'm told that American Airlines will check our bags at the pier, so that's one less hassle to worry about....plus I plan to spring for a cab to get us to the airport!

Concerning the luggage tags, on our last two cruises I've seen them put the tags out on the counter. In case you don't think your tag will get you off the ship in time or if you just want to be off earlier, you could always go down and grab a White, Orange or Blue tag.

In the for what it's worth catagory, they skipped over our tag color on our Monarch cruise. Thank goodness they called them all again when they called the next color or we'd have been sitting around waiting like you were. We were sitting in the schooner lounge and I don't think it was a problem of not coming over the speakers. I think it was just a mental pause when they were reading the tag colors for debarkation.

On the last two cruises they've given us a list of the tags and the order they'll be called. From no on, I'm taking that list with me to the lounge while we wait to get off.

Good advice, all - thanks!

Tahoebob, glad we didn't get anything like the free ride you were talking about (heehee)!!

Thanks especially to Holomuku and TrentS for the tips on the baggage tag codes - I didn't know about that, and I DO have one of the tags on a suitcase, and I may still have the claimchecks as well - so I'll definitely be writing to both US Airways AND the airport management with that information! That guy was WAY out of bounds in his behavior!!

LouChamp, if you were in the Platinum/Diamond lounge (as I mentioned in my original post we were as well), you probably saw us and we likely saw you! We were sitting at a table with two other Diamond members and their friends, all of whom had later flights together, but since those Diamond members and their friends were given different tag colors, they were waiting to debark together.

The Voyager trip was our tenth RCCL cruise, and my 14th cruise overall (still a way to go to catch up with LouChamp, but I'm hoping to get there some day!). I haven't booked flights through the cruise line since the first time we did so in 1993; I've made my own flight arrangements for vacations for years, always getting better prices and generally fewer connections (and shorter layovers when we had them). I had previously always booked our flights after 1 or 2 p.m. when we cruised into/out of either Miami or Fort Lauderdale, but every cruise before we were at the airport by 10 or 11 a.m. and ended up sitting around for several hours. So this time I decided to book an earlier return. My mistake, I know!! ; )

Even taking a cab wouldn't have made any difference by the time we got off the ship and got the bags - that was the biggest problem this time, and that would have been directly attributable to Royal Caribbean (since the carousels were in the terminal and, nominally at least, under the line's control). Had the baggage carousel problem been remedied earlier, we would have been fine. Just our luck that day that our tag color ended up in the affected carousel area, and that our bags weren't in the group that got unloaded before the carousel jammed. Don't think customs was the issue here!

I understand why some people don't want to get off the ship quickly; on the last morning, my 18-year-old is generally cranky from getting up early and so wants to be to the airport and home early (and since I miss my dogs, I like getting home so I can see them earlier too!!). Plus (horrible as it may seem to some) as soon as the cruise ends, I'm already in the dreaded "back to work" frame of mind, trying to mentally get to where I have to be the next week. Maybe after I retire (if I ever get there) I'll decompress for longer periods.

I must admit I've liked it MUCH more when the P/D lounge is in the Viking Crown (she can doze off on one of the couches or more comfortable chairs, and relaxing in general is much easier in a low comfy chair than at a banquet table setup). Maybe that's something RCCL would consider when arranging for where the lounge will be on the ships.

Still, I'd rather cruise on Royal Caribbean than any other line I've experienced, and I'm looking forward to our Mediterranean cruise in May on Splendour (only two and a half months to go - YIPPEE)!!!

jan t.

I understand why some people don't want to get off the ship quickly; on the last morning, my 18-year-old is generally cranky from getting up early and so wants to be to the airport and home early (and since I miss my dogs, I like getting home so I can see them earlier too!!). Plus (horrible as it may seem to some) as soon as the cruise ends, I'm already in the dreaded "back to work" frame of mind, trying to mentally get to where I have to be the next week. Maybe after I retire (if I ever get there) I'll decompress for longer periods.

jan t.

WOW!! I've been off the ship for 9 days now and still am not in the "back to work" frame of mind.... I think I left all motivation on the ship! Think anyone turned it in to lost and found? I could really use it!

both times we have sailed RCI we have had nightmere debarkations. It won't stop us from sailing them, but it isn't our favorite time of the cruise. having to end a vacation is bad enough without having that final Goodbye a time to want to forget, but you can't. Carnival isn't any better!!! NMNita

JMTtor-

glad if I can of ANY assistance- what a rotten way to end a cruise!

my experience is that normally it's the airline that contracts with skycap services for check-in (versus the airport management). Some airports will have two or three different skycap services doing check-in for different airlines-- and also they may (or may not) do wheelchair assistance, etc. The contract business seems to be booming...but that's another issue.

My suggestion would be to write to U.S. Air and send a copy of your complaint to the airport management. Now this may vary by airport, but normally in the U.S. it is the airline that decides who they have handle their curbside check-in -- again, just my experience. Not true in other countries but fortunately (or not) that's not an issue here.

Even though U.S. Air is going through a difficult time right now I think it's important you share your experience with them. No airline can afford to lose any passenger in todays environment and I would think they would want to see that this "bad apple" gets tossed....so to speak.

Kind of an interesting aside- I just got an email from a hotel chain (to remain nameless...) that sent me a survey on my stay at one of their properties. I won't bore you with the details but basically I changed rooms because I felt unsafe (can you say ground floor room- on the parking lot-- in a very dark area?) and they insisted that I had to upgrade to a more expensive room if I wanted to change rooms. I did so, knowing my manager would want me to do that if I felt unsafe-- but wasn't happy about having to pay more just so I could sleep with both eyes closed. At any rate- this email I got today said I'm getting a $35.00 gift certificate because I filled out this survey with an "issue" and the chain never got a response from the location owner and that's their policy- no response, customer gets something.

We're in a very competitive environment today- be pleasant but persistent--

Archived