Will 2 yr old DUI probation in IL [not conviction] affect AK rountrip from Seattle?

Folks .. please help if you can ...

I have a 2 yr old DUI [first-time] arrest and got a court supervision in IL, which is nothing but probation in common terms. It is not a conviction [well at least not under IL law]. I met all requirements of the supervision successfully and haven't had even so much as a speeding ticket since.

I have booked a round-trip cruise to AK from Seattle on NCL [this is in August 3rd week] and we will be flying into Seattle from IL. On the cruise itinerary, there's one stop @ Prince Rupert on the way back. I don't really mind not getting down at Prince Rupert - my greatest concern is: since the ship traverses through Canadian waters, will my DUI arrest and the subsequent supervision be an issue for the Canadian authorities? Any idea if NCL will question this during the trip or prevent me from boarding the ship?

I am sort of worried now and any help will be appreciated. Thanks a ton!

A DUI is a criminal offence under Canadian and law. If the offence had occurred 5 to 10 years ago you would have likely been deemed to have been rehabilitated and permitted entry into Canada. However as the offence is only two years old there is a real possibility that you will not be permitted to enter Canada. However, I don't think you will have any problem with NCL. You will not actually clear Canadian customs in Prince Rupert, however NCL will have provided them with a passenger manifest and this will have been reviewed by them. There is a real possibility that you will sneak into the country "under the radar" but if not all that will happen is that you will be advised by the ship's personnel before arriving in Prince Rupert that you will not be allowed to leave the ship while there.

Folks .. please help if you can ...

I have a 2 yr old DUI [first-time] arrest and got a court supervision in IL, which is nothing but probation in common terms. It is not a conviction [well at least not under IL law]. I met all requirements of the supervision successfully and haven't had even so much as a speeding ticket since.

I have booked a round-trip cruise to AK from Seattle on NCL [this is in August 3rd week] and we will be flying into Seattle from IL. On the cruise itinerary, there's one stop @ Prince Rupert on the way back. I don't really mind not getting down at Prince Rupert - my greatest concern is: since the ship traverses through Canadian waters, will my DUI arrest and the subsequent supervision be an issue for the Canadian authorities? Any idea if NCL will question this during the trip or prevent me from boarding the ship?

I am sort of worried now and any help will be appreciated. Thanks a ton!

I'm not a lawyer and I think Putterdude may well be correct. However I would think the chances of some one asking if you have been convicted of a crime in the US are extremely remote. They will not be interviewing you; just reviewing your passport. Since it is not a conviction in IL you could say 'NO' if asked. I doubt you will be asked. Enjoy your cruise and don't fret.

Thanks Earl and Putterdude. This does help. Should I check with NCL at all or it doesnt make sense?

I wouldn't. Ask yourself-what's the worst thing that could happen? You can't get off in Pr Rupert. No big deal.

Canada border servicesv are not going to know or care about your DUI in IL. Your'e not coming here to live!

The response from Earl Roseberry is absolutely wrong. Putterdude is correct. Canada and the US share this information and the authorities there will pull this offense right up. You may have no trouble boarding your cruise, but you won't be allowed off the ship at any Canadian port.

Don't waste your time checking with NCL; they aren't immigration and it's your responsibility to take care of this. Suggest you start by going here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c49436/Canada:Dwi.Or.Dui.Driving.Convictions.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/faq-inadmissibility.asp

Well Earl Rosebery may be partially correct in the sense that the OP has suggested that a first DUI is not a criminal offence and which case it may not show up on a crim check...so the whole thing could prove to be a non issue. I do agree that there is no point in speaking with NCL. The worst case scenario is that the OP may not be permitted off the ship if Canadian customs (CBS) did find something when they ran a crim check on the manifiest.

Wondering why you are not checking with a lawyer? Perhaps there is one in your area who gives a free first consultation?

Additionally, and no offense to my comrades here on the Canada board, but I don't think you should be checking on a cruise message board about this; it's potentially too important to be given wrong information, don't you think?

I'm with Putterdude on this. I'd be optimistic but heck, it'll probably be raining in Prince Rupert anyway. With 240 days with rain per year, Prince Rupert is Canada's wettest city.

Border services agents in both countries have incredible discretionary authority and pretty limited public accountability. What happens, as opposed to what is supposed to happen, seems to depend on the agent and the day. You could easily miss the departure if you got into an argument with them about your rights, whatever they might be.

I

Border services agents in both countries have incredible discretionary authority and pretty limited public accountability. What happens, as opposed to what is supposed to happen, seems to depend on the agent and the day. You could easily miss the departure if you got into an argument with them about your rights, whatever they might be.

that would be my question. If OP gets off in Canadian port, is there a possibility they will not be allowed to re-board the ship?

that would be my question. If OP gets off in Canadian port, is there a possibility they will not be allowed to re-board the ship?

If there is an issue and only if there is an issue the ship will be informed of this by CBS and he will be discreetly advised by the ship's personnel of his inadmissibility.

It's simple. Canada has access to NCIC. So, ask your local officials to run the check for you. Most will do it for free. If it shows up, you know that Canadian Immigration will see it. If your local officials won't run it, the FBI will send you a copy for a nominal charge. It does not matter how it was adjudicated, it matters only if it is on your record because it is criminal in Canada.

Be honest about it. Hiding it will only make things worse. Usually Canada Border Services will simply tell you the date in which you will be allowed to again visit Canada. That will be entered into their computers. And they will warn you to not even try to gain entry to Canada until that date. (And they mean it, they will arrest you if you try, once you have been warned and the warning is on their system.)

• 1 month later...

As promised, heres an update:

First off, thanks all for responding / helping.

I was able to get down in Canada. Only our onboard ship ID card were checked before we exit the ship. CBP did not check anyone's passport, name or any record at the port of entry. And if they did, it must be prior to us even getting there and I was probably all_clear from their standpoint.

As promised, heres an update:

First off, thanks all for responding / helping.

I was able to get down in Canada. Only our onboard ship ID card were checked before we exit the ship. CBP did not check anyone's passport, name or any record at the port of entry. And if they did, it must be prior to us even getting there and I was probably all_clear from their standpoint.

thanks for your update. Hope you enjoyed your cruise. We need all the tourists we can get.

Archived