electric fan confiscated

gunn2

I kinow you can't bring electric irons onboard but is it something new that you can't bring a small desk size electric fan? I have brought one on board in the past and I sometimes use it at night if it is an especially warm night and the air conditioner isnt working well or for "white noise". I have always packed it in my suitcase and left it out in my cabin and no one ever said anything. This last cruise on Mercury I was summoned down to the "naughty room" by security who had me open my suitcase and they took the fan and I didnt get it back until I left the ship and had cleared customs.Is this a new policy or was I just lucky in the past? They seemed pretty irritated so apparantly this is a big deal.

They seemed pretty irritated so apparantly this is a big deal.

It hasn't been in the past, but it's quickly becoming a hot topic.

Nowadays, everyone brings more electronic gadgets than before. iPod chargers, laptop chargers, Blackberry chargers, and on and on. Heck, some people even bring power strips with them because they're toting along so many electrical appliances.

The problem is, on a ship there's a finite amount of electrical current that can be produced. And some lines have started to crack down on what electrical appliances you can and can't bring with you; just like alcohol.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be annoyed too. There really aren't any clear guidelines on what you can or can not bring with you - at least not that I could find on Celebrity's site. Until they set forth clear, established guidelines, it's a bit strange that they took your fan from you, unless they thought perhaps the motor may constitute a fire hazard? Not sure.

You should try contacting Celebrity to see what they can tell you.

I wasnt annoyed. I think embarassed was more it because if it was policy I should have made sure I knew. But I hadnt thought about the electricity useage thing. I wonder if a battery operated one would have passed security inspection

I have a battery powered "noise machine" also uses regular power while at home. It's very compact and comes on every cruise with us.

Also have a small battery charged fan which we used after hurricanes of 2004 when we had no power for week. Again it's very compact and would travel easily.

I think both were purchased at "Sharper Image" or some store like it.

I have a battery operated fan that also uses ac/dc power ... I wonder if they will take my fan too...:(

We bring one also, and on a Royal Carib cruise last week we had to go to the Naughty Room for the first time to get our luggage because of it. Once we showed that it was battery operated, they let us keep it. I suspect the same would be true for Celebrity.

I have a battery powered "noise machine" also uses regular power while at home. It's very compact and comes on every cruise with us.

Also have a small battery charged fan which we used after hurricanes of 2004 when we had no power for week. Again it's very compact and would travel easily.

I think both were purchased at "Sharper Image" or some store like it.

How long will the batteries last?

How long will the batteries last?

On the noise machine they lasted through a 10 night cruise easily, runs on 4AA's, I always bring spares, have never needed them.

I've never brought the fan on a cruise but it lasted through almost two weeks of no power after hurricanes, but only ran at night, believe we changed batteries once during that time. it takes 4 D's.

Hope that helps.

On the noise machine they lasted through a 10 night cruise easily, runs on 4AA's, I always bring spares, have never needed them.

I've never brought the fan on a cruise but it lasted through almost two weeks of no power after hurricanes, but only ran at night, believe we changed batteries once during that time. it takes 4 D's.

Hope that helps.

Thank you...where did you get the fan?

Thank you...where did you get the fan?

Hi!

Here are two places you can purchase the fan. We boughts two of them when we lost power for 3 weeks back when Houston was hit by hurricane Ike. We were so happy we had them on hand and they worked great.

Hope this will help.

Cheers!

Constanze

http://www.amazon.com/O2-Cool-Model-1054-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B000I4L15Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1288479432&sr=8-7

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/186-8028034-0074819?asin=B002VEDG5Y&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B002VEDG5Y&CPNG=appliances&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=B002VEDG5Y&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

I just went on Celebrity's website and it does not say anything about being allowed to bring fans on board. It states irons and steamers are not allowed. I just sent an e-mail to celebrity for an answer. I will let you know what I hear. I have a fan that is both battery operated and electric so I will be bring that with 12 "C" batteries in case they won't let me use the electric and will bring it on with my carry on luggage. That is if Hurricane Tomas doesn't stop the cruise.

I just went on Celebrity's website and it does not say anything about being allowed to bring fans on board. It states irons and steamers are not allowed. I just sent an e-mail to celebrity for an answer. I will let you know what I hear. I have a fan that is both battery operated and electric so I will be bring that with 12 "C" batteries in case they won't let me use the electric and will bring it on with my carry on luggage. That is if Hurricane Tomas doesn't stop the cruise.

Suspect you'll be fine once you show them the batteries for the fan....Tomas is supposed to make sharp turn north..at least that's the last I heard.....

judyfssw, The "naughty room" on Mercury is Deck 3 forward where we get back on the ship after being in port . There was no one down there except security and they had a table set up in that big area where we turn in our liquor after being in port. They werent rude but it was all business and it sure was a change from the warm friendly atmosphere everywhere else on the ship. I thought maybe I had violated a known rule but judging by people's comments here it wasnt such a well known rule so yes, I think it could have been done a little nicer.

So glad I'm digging around this board! We're leaving on a week for a cruise out of San Juan on Summit. I had a small fan in my pile, but will now leave it home...don't want to visit the naughty room!! Also saw a different thread about water that jogged my mind...I've got a Brita water bottle with a built in filter. I'll use the Brita bottle to fill a Nalgene bottle...presto!! no funky-tasting water :D

Archived