Liberty Halloween Review

Hi everyone! I just stepped off of the Liberty of the Seas this morning. I wrote my review each day while on board. So you may see some inconsistencies with present and past tense. I will add pictures as I go :)

To preface it all- this has been my 5th cruise in the last 12 months (4 were Royal and on all different classes of ships). At times I may reference my other cruises from this year as comparison. We booked a Promenade Stateroom 7309, it was above Ben & Jerry's & Get Out There. We have only been in interior and one oceanview a LONG time ago.

Here goes...

October 31- Miami

Right now we’ve been on board for about 3 hours and my husband is already asleep in the bed. It’s a tradition for us- tour the ship then conk out until muster time.

IMG_1664.jpg

Rewind a bit to earlier, we arrived at the port at 11am this morning after an hour drive. DH’s parents were kind enough to drop us off so we wouldn’t have to pay for parking and my mother is kind enough to pick us up next Sunday. We always seem to have slow luck with boarding cruises out of Miami. It took us abut 30 minutes to get through security and Seapass Cards in hand. Priority boarding was ushered into a small room with MAYBE 15 chairs (with well over 50 people). We waited in there for a while. Turns out there was a Coast Guard inspection today and pax couldn't board until the inspection was over around noon. Totally understandable. So they finally rounded up all the B2B and priority people and there was a mad rush to the escalator. Probably could have been handled better. Miami seems to always be the issue, Port Everglades is always smooth boarding for us.

We got onboard and went straight to Sorrentos. We really liked the Sorrentos onboard because there were appetizers and other options. On Oasis it was JUST Pizza. I had a side of roasted red peppers and olives. Yum, it went well with my Chorizo pizza. We were the only people in Sorrentos at the time. We like it that way- everyone else always heads to the Windjammer with the crowds and we start our trip relaxed.

Next we toured around a bit to get acquainted with the layout of the ship. We found the helipad, which I want to go to for sail away. It immediately began raining huge plops of rain. Figures… South Florida weather! My husband walked up to the Diamond Lounge and kept asking why he couldn’t get in. I reminded him we need to book 3 more cruises and then we can go in, he didn’t seem to have a problem with my hint ;)

IMG_1601.jpg

Toured around for a about an hour more and found our room. Mid ship, 7th floor overlooking the Promenade Café. The only disappointment is that our window is so blurry/dirty I can barely see anything. It makes my eyes hurt. I’ll call to see if they can clean it, but I think the problem is on the other side because I wiped it down with a damp paper towel with no luck. I am enjoying the bench seat at the window of the room. It’s a cozy place for me to kick up my feet, type away on the laptop, and watch the action… err the blurs below!

IMG_1663.jpg

MusterD drill is in about 45 minutes and there have been no sight of luggage for anyone in our hall. I always worry about having no clothes for dinner. I don’t think the dining staff would appreciate my sparkly ghost shirt tonight!

We made our way to the helipad for sail away. It was a great view of everything.

IMG_1668.jpg

We sailed past the Carnival Valor. Two NCL ships left before us so I didn’t get the chance to see which ones they were. There was also an AIDA ship on the other side of Dodge Island. It had a neat/funky design in the middle. We came back to our room after sail away and our bags were still not delivered. I was getting worried that they lost them or something. We walked a few feet over the crew stairwell and saw a huge pile of luggage thrown atop each other. We spotted my bright pink bag and my husband brought it into our room. Then we found DH’s suitcase, still missing was our garment bag with the nice clothes. We had decent clothes in the regular luggage so we dressed and headed to dinner. MTD in the Boticelli dining room (deck 5). Our waiter is Osban from India and Cemil (pronounced gemeel) from Turkey is the assistant. They are both young guys that enjoy talking with us. I had my favorite soup Sopa de Tortilla. It was much more tomato-ey on this ship. On the Grandeur it was spicy and on the Oasis it was perfect.

After dinner we put on our Halloween costumes. I wore an Alcatraz shirt with striped stockings and my husband wore UFC (mixed martial arts) beenie cap and wrist wraps. His costume didn’t go over as well as he wanted- everyone kept calling him Eminem (the rapper) instead! We went to the Champagne bar in our costumes and met the very lovely Sylvia from Romania. We felt a little out a place because the champagne bar isn't exactly a halloween costume kind of place. She made a variety of martinis for us to try. I enjoyed the Razzle Dazzle the best, recommended to me by a coworker of mine.

We then made our way to Studio B for the Halloween Party. At first it was dead, people were filling up the seats but no one was dancing except for a scarecrow and a couple dressed as Charlie Chaplin and I can’t recall what the lady wore. My husband and I are the shy type and generally wouldn’t go down there, but we did. Slowly people began to make there way on to the floor. After a few minutes it was packed! There was a costume contest and then an after party in the Catacombs. We had a blast this night, probably the most fun we’ve had on a cruise.

We had 7309- a Promenade stateroom. This room had the least amount of storage space I've ever encountered. I felt that the drawer and closet space was a bit inadequate compared to Oasis, Grandeur, and the Jewel. It was also smaller than the Interior room we had on Oasis. Additionally, it was the loudest room we've ever had. Quite possibly because we had door slammers all around us and a family across the hall that let their 2 year old do laps up and down the hall early morning and late night. Otherwise I loved the room.

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

All decorated for Halloween!!

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

I apologize for a few gigantic pictures... Some of them won't resize right now.

Day 2- At Sea

We had our Meet & Mingle in Olive or Twist at 10:15. The CD didn’t show but the activities director Leigh did. He talked about the history of cruise critic... One day a bunch of people who like to talk sh... about the cruise industry gt together and formed this website! He actually thanked all of us for being on here and that they do read these things and make decisions based on what people post.

They handed out a few prizes. One of the minglers brought Halloween candy and passed it out to everyone. Let me tell you the candy came in handy later in the trip, thank you to whoever you were!!! We proceeded with a cabin crawl. We saw everything from the Presidential Suite, Owners Suite, Junior Suite, Promenade, Balcony, and Inside rooms. I always enjoy these because I get to see the options that I will probably never be able to afford. We volunteered our Promenade stateroom to be shared- boy it is nerve racking to allow 60 people to flow in and out of your room! I didn’t mind though because I know that others gave up their rooms to be shared too.

After the cabin crawl we laid by the pool. Lots of towels on empty chairs. We found some seats over looking the children’s area. It was a very sunny day so it felt good to get a light spray from the splash area.

We headed over to the Flowrider after an hour of baking. We’ve been on before- the Oasis. I understand that they have to split the thing in two to accommodate the amount of people who want to ride on this ship, but that divider really messed me up. I waited in line and my turn came after about 15 minutes. Not too bad of a wait. I boogied on down and the board was stuck UNDER the flow of water and I couldn’t move it. I stood up and pulled it away and walked back up to give it another try. The sports staff member told me not to walk up because it wastes time. I explained to him that they board was stuck under the force of the water and I had to pull it from the side. He told me impossible (obviously doesn't know much about physics.) He didn’t want to hear it and told me to stop wasting time and to go again. I did and once I was finished I leaned over to the right to glide off safely. On the Oasis I wiped out when I was done and bruised myself pretty bad, so I was avoiding the same situation. As I walked back up to return the board the sports staff guy on my side yelled at me again about “wasting his and other people’s time by walking the board up rather than wiping out.” In all honesty it took maybe 2-3 seconds longer for me to walk rather than wipe out. Now I am a fairly calm easy going person, but DO NOT yell at me and tell me I am doing something wrong, when all I am doing is trying to avoid getting hurt again. He started to talk to me and I threw my hand up in his face and told him to not yell at me that way and I walked off.

The staff manning the Flowriders certainly wasn’t as helpful as those on the Oasis. I didn’t see them helping anyone or giving instructions, they assumed everyone knew what to do. I saw a couple people lose their bottoms because no warning was given. The strength of the water was stronger on this than the Oasis Flowriders.

IMG_1725.jpg

Napped for a couple hours and then got ready for formal night. I was excited to wear my new dress this evening. We had dinner early and then hung out on the promenade for the Captain’s Welcome Aboard reception, did some shopping for my ship model and Liberty Christmas ornament.

IMG_1754.jpg

Then we went back to the room and fell asleep.

Not the most exciting day, but that's alright because we cruise to have fun AND relax!!

I hope you reported the flowrider attendant. that is not the level of service RCL is noted for. Your a nice looking couple, of course all young couples look nice to this old man. LOL good job on the review. Is your home in Miami? the DW and I live in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl (west palm beach).

bc

Day 3- At Sea

We slept in today and then went exploring around deck. We hung out on the helipad and fought some vicious wind to get there.

IMG_1763.jpg

Walked to the back of the ship and DH found the exhaust pipes. He made me take his picture with them and wants the caption to say that the Liberty has Flowmasters! He was big in to modified cars in college.

IMG_1771.jpg

Arrived back at the room after exploring and found that I received my Platinum member pin. It had my name on the back of the paper. DH was a little sad he didn’t get one.

IMG_1777-1.jpg

We went to the gym and I tried to use the Elliptical- unfortunately the mix of the ship rocking and the elliptical was not what my stomach or mind was looking for and so I got off and found my husband. I wandered and saw the cute penguins in the windows in front of the gym.

IMG_1779.jpg

Didn’t do much for the rest of the day. Relaxed on deck and in our room. Watched the Dancin in the Street party from the window. Unfortunately the flags blocked part of the view and the smudgy glass made most of it blurry. The moving bridge is right near our room so I saw the CD staff in their Austin Powers garb.

Went to the Welcome Back party in the Sphinx Lunge where we were treated to drinks- better selection than there used to be. I was able to have a glass of wine instead of "fruit punch." Captain Charles addressed Hurricane Tomas and said he would be monitoring it every 6 hours and will make a decision at some point.

Came back to the room and found DH's Platinum Pin waiting with our elephant and tomorrow's Cruise Compass!

I hope you reported the flowrider attendant. that is not the level of service RCL is noted for. Your a nice looking couple, of course all young couples look nice to this old man. LOL good job on the review. Is your home in Miami? the DW and I live in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl (west palm beach).

bc

Didn't report him, but probably should have. He left as soon as I walked away. Not sure whether I POed him or what!

We live fairly close to you- we're from Boca Raton!

Day 4- St Maarten

Woke up and had breakfast at the Windjammer and watched the Ruby Princess pull in to port. Funny thing is DH’s parents are leaving on that ship on Sunday, the day we get back on the Liberty. We chose to do an excursion this day. It started off on the wrong foot. We went back and forth between our room and the pier 4 times because we forgot so many things. I didn’t think I was going to even make it until noon when our excursion began.

IMG_1822.jpg

Once we found where to meet things went better. There were 16 of us in the group for ATVs. They squeezed us in a van meant for 12. Interesting 10 minute ride to the area where the quads were. Some women were laying across the laps of other people. Got suited up and on the ATVs.

Our group got going and not 5 minutes later, one poor lady went right off the road and into an empty canal ditch! Everyone stopped immediately because we didn’t see or hear her or the ATV. The guide ran over and a group of men lifted it off of her. Thankfully she was okay. She ended up riding on the back of her husband’s ATV for the remainder. We toured around both the French and the Dutch areas of the island. It was a blast! It was great going up and down the steep hills and around turns.

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

We stopped at Orient Beach for about an hour. We rented some lounge chairs with an umbrella and relaxed and swam. The water was cool and refreshing.

IMG_1848.jpg

The ride back to the port was a bit shorter but still just as fun. I’d like to take another ATV tour on another island some day.

We napped after the 4 hours out in the hot sun. DH bought himself a watch onboard. We never buy anything onboard but he really liked it and had never seen one like it.

We watched ENCORE the ice skating show. It wasn’t all that interesting to us, I did like the special guest hula-hoop skater. They are definitely talented. I also enjoyed the end where they danced to more popular music. The show was good, don’t get me wrong but wasn’t our “thing.”

I will update the rest of my review tomorrow. It's time for some rest because I have to go to work in the morning :(

Great review and love the pics!

Sorry to hear about the staff at the Flowrider. I hope you mentioned something in your comment card or at Guest Services.

When we were on the Liberty, the Flowrider staff was really nice. As I remember, there was a female and male attendant and both friendly. We did the stand up surfing in the morning that we ported at Labadee.

Additionally, it was the loudest room we've ever had. Quite possibly because we had door slammers all around us and a family across the hall that let their 2 year old do laps up and down the hall early morning and late night. Otherwise I loved the room.

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

All decorated for Halloween!!

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

I apologize for a few gigantic pictures... Some of them won't resize right now.

Hopefully your "door slammers" were not doing it at night. Our neighbors on deck 8 started around 1 in the morning for hours on end Saturday night. I wanted to kick their door yesterday morning as we left as they were still sleeping. The 2 nights prior it was the loud talking on the balcony. Totally clueless.

Enjoying your review! We were on this sailing with you! We had a wonderful time too! Loved the Liberty.....some of the best service we have ever received on any of our cruises....especially our wait staff in the dining room (Props to Sigit and Yigit---yes those were really their names!!) :) The Captain did a fantastic job of navigating around Hurricane Tomas to make for the best sailing conditions possible.....

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review! Nice job so far!!

We sailed Liberty in August and I'm so surprised by your encounter with the Flowrider staff. I thought that they were about the best out there. Our son (12.5) participated in a private lesson with 7 others, and after that hour of one on one time, they all knew him (and he was up there each time it was open). They were always in the middle, helping everyone that needed it, teaching tricks, never a harsh word. Even let many who wiped out quickly get back on for another try. So sorry you didn't have that experience.

We love Liberty and are so sorry that she'll be sailing Europe next year...although I think I'd love to sail her when we try a Med cruise with the kids.

Hi everyone! I just stepped off of the Liberty of the Seas this morning. I wrote my review each day while on board. So you may see some inconsistencies with present and past tense. I will add pictures as I go :)

To preface it all- this has been my 5th cruise in the last 12 months (4 were Royal and on all different classes of ships). At times I may reference my other cruises from this year as comparison. We booked a Promenade Stateroom 7309, it was above Ben & Jerry's & Get Out There. We have only been in interior and one oceanview a LONG time ago.

We sail Liberty of the Seas in only 6 days! Can't wait.

Great review so far.

My question to you is: how on Earth did you take five cruises in 12 months? What's your secret??? (OK, I admit it-I am jealous!)

More review, please.

Alright, I am back with some more of my review!

Day 5- San Juan

We chose to do a self-tour by foot. Before we left on this trip I looked up walking directions to the Castle and Fort. So we set off at 8am for the Castle and got there when it first opened. It was very hot out today. I was able to get a lot of amazing pictures of scenery and the Castillo San Cristobal.

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

We finished up the Castle after an hour and a half and then walked over to El Morro. It was very hot at this point and my hands began to swell and itch- yup I was pretty dehydrated. So we stopped and bought some Gatorade and rested for a few moments. Then we self discovered El Morro. We wandered our way back to the ship through the shopping areas. I did stop in a few stores, but didn't buy anything. If I go back to San Juan sometime I will be sure to make it a shopping trip.

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

Ben & Jerry's in San Juan... apparently they have yummy food!

It was formal night again so we dressed ourselves up. We ate dinner rather quick and then hung out at the Champagne Bar until the Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond + cocktail party. It was nice that they had such a variety of drinks to offer. I generally order a Peach Bellini at the welcome back party, but I had a Tequila Sunrise instead.

IMG_2008.jpg

Captain Charles updated us on Hurricane Tomas- which has been tailing us throughout the trip. We won’t be going to Labadee tomorrow as it will be right under the eye of the hurricane. Instead we have a sea day tomorrow and then Nassau on Saturday.

I will update some more later tonight, we have our anniversary dinner tonight :)

We sailed Liberty in August and I'm so surprised by your encounter with the Flowrider staff. I thought that they were about the best out there. Our son (12.5) participated in a private lesson with 7 others, and after that hour of one on one time, they all knew him (and he was up there each time it was open). They were always in the middle, helping everyone that needed it, teaching tricks, never a harsh word. Even let many who wiped out quickly get back on for another try. So sorry you didn't have that experience.

We love Liberty and are so sorry that she'll be sailing Europe next year...although I think I'd love to sail her when we try a Med cruise with the kids.

I only encountered one Flowrider staff member on the trip. I didn't go back after the incident. The guy that was rude had an australian accent, that much I remember! He was sitting back against the back of the Flowrider not doing much.

When I was on Oasis in May/June they were awesome with helping people. Very hands on. I guess I hit it on a bad day on Liberty.

We sail Liberty of the Seas in only 6 days! Can't wait.

Great review so far.

My question to you is: how on Earth did you take five cruises in 12 months? What's your secret??? (OK, I admit it-I am jealous!)

More review, please.

It was all a bunch of coincidence!

Went on the Jewel of the Seas- Ultimate Panama for our honeymoon last November.

I went on Carnival Imagination with my husband's entire family in January- mother-in-law financed the trip for everyone.

I booked a (delayed) mother's day trip on the Grandeur with my mom for June because it was 11 years since her last cruise.

The Oasis came about 3 weeks before the trip, a FABULOUS deal was placed in my lap for that one.

Liberty we had booked WAYY in advance and got for next to nothing.

I have ONE more this year- the Majesty for Xmas. With my family :)

Then we're taking a HUGE break because we can't afford to always do this!

Day 6- Sea Day

We slept in today because we've been given a sea day instead of Labadee. Captain Charles has kept everyone well informed of where we're going and why. We should be in Nassau tomorrow as a substitute.

We're supposed to pass closest to the eye at around 8pm tonight. Should be interesting.

Decided to relax in the Solarium today. It was nice because the sky was overcast, we didn't have an issue finding a chair to lay out on.

Hurricane Tomas pictures...

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

Turns out the storm wasn't so bad to go through. We live in South Florida, so a hurricane is normal to us. It was a little rocky BUT I've felt much worse in the past. I personally thought it was more rocky when we went from Nassau to Miami than San Juan to Nassau!

Went to the Quest tonight, here's a highlight of one of our team members...

IMG_2049.jpg

Day 7- Nassau

We stayed on the ship today. We were in Nassau in January and will be back next month. We put on our bathing suits and went out for a swim. BAD IDEA!!!

It was freezing. Okay now I realize it wasn't literally freezing, but it was not bathing suit weather! There were about 6 people in the Solarium today, we had choice seating.

IMG_2076.jpg

Didn't do much today either. There were a lot of ships in Nassau today. Norwegian Sky, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination, Monarch, and Majesty was waiting outside the port for us to leave. As soon as we pulled away Majesty pulled in to port.

IMG_2090.jpg

Packed up after dinner and said goodbye to our room, my window seat, and towel animals.

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

Went to the late night adult comedy show. It was great, we laughed a lot.

We saw a different comedian earlier in the week and thought he was one of the worst possible comedians we'd seen.

Tomorrow I will post random pictures of the ship. If you have any question, please feel free to ask away.

Great review, thanks. Sorry for the hurricane!! Oh, nice toenails LOL (its an old man thing----arn't they supposed to be one color LOL) I'll look for more pic's tomorrow. Question: would you book that stateroom catagory again? And: did they clean the window?:(

bill

D

Went to the late night adult comedy show. It was great, we laughed a lot.

We saw a different comedian earlier in the week and thought he was one of the worst possible comedians we'd seen.

Man, that comedian earlier in the week was HORRIBLE. We didn't go the last night for fear he'd make another appearance. Dude needs to get a day job.

Archived