Capt told Ferrarini that he had hit a rock 10 minutes after impact

eskiemomo

I read several articles where Costa's Foschi admitted Costa's senior management/Roberto Ferranini was aware of impact, including this one quoting Foschi

Interesting that Costa is essentially admitting on record they were aware of the ship hitting a rock 10 minutes after the event :eek: (which is a lot sooner than 70+ minutes). This story just keeps on evolving...

I read several articles where Costa's Foschi admitted Costa's senior management/Roberto Ferranini was aware of impact, including this one quoting Foschi

Interesting that Costa is essentially admitting on record they were aware of the ship hitting a rock 10 minutes after the event :eek: (which is a lot sooner than 70+ minutes). This story just keeps on evolving...

My husband and I were passengers on the Concordia on January 13th. We asked a Costa employee what time she received the phone call that instructed her to travel to Porto Santo Stefano immediately to coordinate the evacuation and processing of the passengers of the Concordia who would arrive there by car ferry from Giglio Island starting early on January 14th!!! She told us that she got that phone call at 10 pm which was merely 20 minutes after the ship hit the rock and tore the gash in the hull!!! We are shocked to now realize that Costa knew the magnitude of the disaster and that all the passengers would be evacuated from the ship but we passengers on that ship did not start to disembark for close to an hour after this employee was called about the disaster. What were they waiting for????? So many lives could likely have been spared if the evacuation had started by 10 pm. My husband and I were at the lifeboat area with our lifejackets on and eager to get off the ship within minutes of the impact, as we sensed that something was seriously wrong! The crew was preventing us from evacuating sooner but they must have been waiting for orders from the ones is charge..... I wonder where they were??

wow I didn't realize you were on board the Concordia too, only know of cc member Michelle (mickey_d_mouse). Really glad to hear you survived this tragedy...

I am having a hard time finding the other links, they got buried under all the news about Costa's compensation. In this article an Italian lawyer chimes in about financial consequences for Costa upon an "abandon ship", with Foschi denying Costa delayed evacuation to avoid paying out large sums/losing the value of the vessel. He is quoted below:

Mr Foschi said: "I assure you absolutely that no one thought in financial terms. That would be a choice that would violate our ethics."

My husband and I were passengers on the Concordia on January 13th. We asked a Costa employee what time she received the phone call that instructed her to travel to Porto Santo Stefano immediately to coordinate the evacuation and processing of the passengers of the Concordia who would arrive there by car ferry from Giglio Island starting early on January 14th!!! She told us that she got that phone call at 10 pm which was merely 20 minutes after the ship hit the rock and tore the gash in the hull!!! We are shocked to now realize that Costa knew the magnitude of the disaster and that all the passengers would be evacuated from the ship but we passengers on that ship did not start to disembark for close to an hour after this employee was called about the disaster. What were they waiting for????? So many lives could likely have been spared if the evacuation had started by 10 pm. My husband and I were at the lifeboat area with our lifejackets on and eager to get off the ship within minutes of the impact, as we sensed that something was seriously wrong! The crew was preventing us from evacuating sooner but they must have been waiting for orders from the ones is charge..... I wonder where they were??

---------------------------

WOW!! This just keeps getting more disgusting on Costa's part each day..I am so sorry you had to deal with the nightmare and so glad that you are safe, and hopefully okay.

Denise

She told us that she got that phone call at 10 pm which was merely 20 minutes after the ship hit the rock and tore the gash in the hull!!!

Isn't that interesting...

I can't wait to see how this unfolds.

I'm glad you are safe. :) Is there a thread where you tell us your story?

I am so greatful you got out alive. I am sorry you had to go through this. I hope to hear your side at some point. But only when you are ready. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Thank goodness that you and your husband are safe!

Thank you for sharing your story.

I am amazed that Schettino spoke with Roberto Ferrarini of Costa CL by phone 17 times that night. According to Ferrarini, Schettino wanted Ferrarini to support Schettino's claim there was an electrical outage before the crash, which Ferrarini refused to do. Ferrarini also stated that he was not made aware of the gravity of the accident by Schettino.

Are 17 calls in one hour normal?

The investigation will be very interesting.

I am new and hope it's ok to post a link to the article from The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9042826/Wife-of-Costa-Concordia-captain-says-it-is-not-for-those-on-land-to-judge-her-husband.html

Dear qtlikeme. I am going to go out on a limb and speak for our fellow cruise critic members. I am sure we all are feeling thankful that you and your husband are home safely. With 126+ Americans on board and some Canadians (I don't know how many) there were sure to be several cruise critic members. It would be my privilege to meet you on a cruise some day. Liz

Thank goodness that you and your husband are safe!

Thank you for sharing your story.

I am amazed that Schettino spoke with Roberto Ferrarini of Costa CL by phone 17 times that night. According to Ferrarini, Schettino wanted Ferrarini to support Schettino's claim there was an electrical outage before the crash, which Ferrarini refused to do. Ferrarini also stated that he was not made aware of the gravity of the accident by Schettino.

Are 17 calls in one hour normal?

The investigation will be very interesting.

I am new and hope it's ok to post a link to the article from The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9042826/Wife-of-Costa-Concordia-captain-says-it-is-not-for-those-on-land-to-judge-her-husband.html

It will be interesting if these conversations are recorded. If they are then the transcripts would be the final nail in undermining the integrity of Captain Schettino and definitely lead to a long prison sentence.

She told us that she got that phone call at 10 pm which was merely 20 minutes after the ship hit the rock and tore the gash in the hull!!!?

Thank goodness you and your husband are safe and I hope recovering from what must have been a very frightening experience.

In fairness to Costa, what this shows is that they knew Concordia was not able to proceed and would have to be evacuated - (and rather undermines the claims that "Costa did nothing") but not that she was in imminent danger of sinking - I expect we'll find out more as the enquiries proceed.

From the timeline I have seen, it appears Concordia started launching lifeboats a few minutes after she ran aground and came to a dead stop.....but again, it will all come out in the wash.

Thank GOD you are home and safe, I hope you are getting some rest and are recovering from the horror of your experience.

If the shoreside employees have this kind of information prior to the crew and passengers....there is something seriously, seriously amiss here. I hope this piece of the timeline makes it to the proper authorities.

So glad that you made it off the ship OK. If they had only started evacuating passengers when they started mobilizing relief employees, there would have been less trauma for survivors and more might have made it off the ship before it listed. Every story I hear is just more unbelievable. Today on CNN, someone mentioned that it was announced in Italian that passengers should go to the muster stations, followed in English by an announcement that passengers should return to their cabins. It is a miracle that so many survived, but this was so avoidable and never should have happened in the first place. Take care of yourself - you've survived an unimaginable situation and I hope stay well.

Julie

Glad to hear that you and your husband are OK. It is such a tragic event! Just a question to ask if you don't mind, just wondering if there were any "system" when they started evacuating. I was told there was no such thing as "women and children first". Did they load people on the boat based on first come first serve? How long did you have to wait to get into a life boat? Did the life boats make continuous round trips to pick up more passengers once they have dropped off the first load to shore? Thanks.

. If they had only started evacuating passengers when they started mobilizing relief employees, there would have been less trauma for survivors and more might have made it off the ship before it listed.

I don't think we know that - at 22.00 the ship was still moving - so launching lifeboats under those circumstances can be very dangerous - we really need to wait for the investigation....

I don't think we know that - at 22.00 the ship was still moving - so launching lifeboats under those circumstances can be very dangerous - we really need to wait for the investigation....

I can see no reason why the passengers were not called to go to their muster stations as soon as the ship's officers realised there was an emergency situation. This would have been probably 15-20 minutes after impact.:D

The ship lost power and was continuing on just by its own momentum, but the speed very quickly dropped to .9 knot - barely moving. At that speed it might have been safe to launch the lifeboats. The other alternative would have been to drop the anchor. (To avoid a misunderstanding) I don't mean straight after hitting the rock.

Archived