Buying pearl necklace in Tahiti

blackcatcruises

I'm interested in purchasing a fine jewelry quality 18" gray-green pearl necklace (moderate to large size pearls) during our 7 day Tahiti and the Society Islands cruise October 20-27. Does anyone have any suggestions of reputable shops with a good selection of high quality pearl jewelry? Am always on the lookout for unique gold settings for rings, earrings or pendants. Could be pearl and diamond or just pearls. If you have information on where to shop, what prices to expect, bargaining(?), I would appreciate it. Perhaps the selection and prices for such a necklace are inflated in the South Seas vs. here in the States? I may not find, or be able to afford, what I'm looking for but it would help in advance to know what's out there. Thank you!:)

You'll be spoiled for choices when it comes to purchasing fine jewelry quality black pearls in French Polynesia!

Among the high-end jewelers (exquisite jewelry, but correspondingly high prices) are:

* Robert Wan - http://www.robertwan.com/ - From what I've heard, Robert Wan is supposedly the premier black pearl jeweler in FP. Of course, I'm sure that's subjective; but my husband insisted on getting my anniversary gift here because he wanted "the best". They have a small shop at the Tahiti InterContinental with some really beautiful designs; and the woman who tends the shop in the morning/early afternoon was a sweetheart - very kind and helpful. We actually bought my gift (a pair of white gold pearl dangle earrings) at the larger Robert Wan boutique near the port at Bora Bora. The Bora Bora shop seemed to have a much heavier focus on pearl strands, rather than pearls in unique settings, but they did have a few interesting pieces.

* Tahia - http://www.tahiapearls.com/ - Multiple shops, including in Papeete just across from the cruise ship dock (we browsed their small shop the morning the ship docked), near the port in Bora Bora, and near the Petit Village in Moorea. (Look for the Tahia shuttle at the Moorea port to catch a free ride.) The Paul Gauguin boutique also carries Tahia pearls. We didn't actually buy any jewelry here, but they have some beautiful pearls and interesting designs.

I've also heard very good things about Ron Hall's Island Fashion on Moorea; our friends went here and raved about the experience, including the scenic drive. They don't seem to have a website, but you can read about them on Frommers.com (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/moorea/S25982.html), and they have many glowing reviews on TripAdvisor. Apparently their van makes regular roundtrips to the Moorea port on cruise days, or you can call to arrange pickup.

In addition, I was surprised and impressed by the selection at the little jewelry boutique at Tiki Village (http://www.tikivillage.fr/en/village.html) on Moorea. We went there for an independent daytime excursion (their daytime hours are 11-3; contact them to arrange pickup from the port); admission is 2500 francs per person. They showed us a number of exhibits/demos, including coconut uses, tiki carving (with a machete!), jewelry making, sewing, Gauguin paintings (replicas), Sylvain photos, pareo dying, and (coolest of all) paddled us out to their pearl farm mockup. Afterward, we went into the boutique to learn more about pearls and how they're graded. I was really impressed by some of the unique designs, and I fell in love with a modern multi-pearl pendant. (Alas, we already spent our pearl budget at Robert Wan on Bora Bora.) But next time, I think I'll hold out and see what they have here. Oh, admission also includes a music, dance, and pareo-tying performance. Worth a visit if you have the time.

If you wanted to pick up some cheaper pearls for souvenirs, check out the vendor tables at Motu Mahana, the Moorea port, and the Bora Bora craft market. Good deals for some inexpensive gifts. There was one vendor at the Moorea port who has some really interesting/creative designs; she was at one of the last tables on the right as you're leaving the tender. Her designs were mostly in the $100+ range, while most of the others had simpler pieces for $50 and under. (These will be lower quality pearls than you'll find in the boutiques.)

I'm sure others will weigh in with their favorites, but these are a few options to get you started. (Sorry I can't really provide any guidance as to what you can expect to pay for a pearl strand; it'll vary widely depending on style and size, and I wasn't actually looking at/pricing out pearl strands. But those can easily go into thousands of dollars, since it takes time to find perfectly matched pearls for a strand.) I believe prices will be better in FP than in the States, since many jewelers - like Robert Wan - own their own pearl farms. And, importantly, you avoid paying the 16% TVA (value-added tax). Just be sure to collect the necessary paperwork from the jeweler and present it at the Faaa airport to have it stamped and returned.

Happy shopping!

We dealt with a manufacturer not a retail store. They are on a side street in Papatee the name is Pai Mona Pearls (not sure if I spelled that right). They gave us a lesson asked questions of what we wanted and let us design our piece. It was ready in a day. I still love it because my husband chose each of the 3 pearls (different colours). When we were on the ship one of the Gauguiun's commented on the quality and colour of each pearl and how different the setting was. The company has some Canadian backers that is how I found them and then on the map they handed out that year there was a small add from them.

I'm interested in purchasing a fine jewelry quality 18" gray-green pearl necklace (moderate to large size pearls) during our 7 day Tahiti and the Society Islands cruise October 20-27. Does anyone have any suggestions of reputable shops with a good selection of high quality pearl jewelry? Am always on the lookout for unique gold settings for rings, earrings or pendants. Could be pearl and diamond or just pearls. If you have information on where to shop, what prices to expect, bargaining(?), I would appreciate it. Perhaps the selection and prices for such a necklace are inflated in the South Seas vs. here in the States? I may not find, or be able to afford, what I'm looking for but it would help in advance to know what's out there. Thank you!:)

This is what I ended up doing. Obviously no right or wrong. I knew I wanted some high quality FP pearls from our trip. I also knew I did not want to spend more than 2 or 3 thousand. I wanted A quality certified pearls so I knew a full strand was out. I looked at the Wan shop at the IC Tahiti and nothing "called" to me. The first full day on the ship I noticed a simple necklace that did call to me. I do not dress up often so perfect for my lifestyle. It is a Tahia grade A medium green pearl set in 18 k gold with some diamonds on a gold chain. I bought it and wore it the rest of the cruise. They did not have pearl stud earrings that matched to all our satisfaction, so they called their shop in Moorea to have some available our day in port. We went to the shop and bought the studs while in Moorea. I had a very favorable experience.

Another thought is just to buy loose pearls in FP as gold is very expensive in FP, more than state side. Often my BH buys her 'bag of marbles' to bring home and take to her jeweler for mounting.

For buying just loose pearls I would recommend this place which has 2 stores both close to the Marche in PPT.

IMG_3401.jpg

Another thought is just to buy loose pearls in FP as gold is very expensive in FP, more than state side. Often my BH buys her 'bag of marbles' to bring home and take to her jeweler for mounting.

For buying just loose pearls I would recommend this place which has 2 stores both close to the Marche in PPT.

IMG_3401.jpg

From a logically and financial point of view, your suggestion is totally correct! But from an emotional point of view, there is great satisfaction seeing something you really like, buying it and enjoying it the rest of cruise. That is why I am not sorry for our decision.

Each trip so far I have bought various pearls from Ron Hall, the Motu and Justin Hunter ( in Fiji - yellow pearl and pistachio pearl earrings. Had them set in Gold/ Gold & Diamonds/White gold etc. Never thought I could find a strand that I both liked and could afford.

Then two trips ago in the Tahia Store on board she called - the full strand - bluish/greenish/beigish/silverish graded from size 14 to size 11. Beautiful lustre and colours of the peacock but slightly off round - not visible to the naked eye. That was it for me. But it look me 5 trips to find it. The sixth trip I swore no more pearls but a pair of unusual shaped earrings called me at Robert Wan. I succumbed. I have promised DH for January - No pearls - but I dont think he quite believes me.

I also collected a lot of keishis and designed some unusual jewellery with diamonds a complete collar necklace of white gold and keishis.

My advise for a complete strand stick to the major shops - the smaller individual purchases you can buy from any of the pearl stores.

Yes you will likely get pearls cheaper in the US but its very hard to find unusual pieces and unusual colours. Also hard to find keishis.

Why I mentioned loose pearls is because of the original post/question

"I may not find, or be able to afford"

For some of us (including the Mrs and I) we don't have the bucks to toss out at the high end stores. Over the years my BH has bought over a hundred of loose pearls and then had some mounted by her jeweler. Over the last few years she has designed several pices herself at home (she bought tools for pearl mounting/drilling). All of her relatives and mine now have necklaces & earrings she has designed and put together herself. Everytime she sees one of her designs at family get togethers I'm sure the pearls are singing to her :)

As mentioned there is no right or wrong way in this discussion, each of us has different circumstances and financial situations. We go every year to FP but this is only possible because we don't go first class etc etc .............. it's our situation

Hi, BlackCat,

Thank you for asking and obtaining all this great information. We are on your cruise, Cindy & Patrick from Valencia, CA. Come on over and join our small little Roll Call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1486152

Cindy & Pat.......Valencia, CA

Bonnie & Stuart..NorCal

Jenn & Luc.........NorCal

Archived