Chair/Umbrella Rental Cost on Palm Beach?

barb3246

Could someone give me an idea of what I can expect to spend to rent 2 chairs and an umbrella on Palm Beach? Is there a particular vendor who is less expensive than the others? My husband and I will be there for 1 day on a cruise, and we just want a nice beach day, but shade is a must for me. I was thinking of going to Eagle Beach instead but it doesn't sound like there are many vendors there who rent chairs/umbrellas. Thanks!

There are vendors at ALL public access points....each item will run in the $10-12 range...you can try bargaining, if you want to.

We went to Eagle Beach...there was shade along the treeline (beaches are not very wide at these islands!!), but we rented an umbrella and 2 loungers. (The sun IS hot!)

Edited by cb at sea

There are vendors at ALL public access points....each item will run in the $10-12 range...you can try bargaining, if you want to.

We went to Eagle Beach...there was shade along the treeline (beaches are not very wide at these islands!!), but we rented an umbrella and 2 loungers. (The sun IS hot!)

Were the rentals less expensive on Eagle Beach? Were there a lot of vendors available to rent from? I contacted Amsterdam Manor but they only rent chairs and not umbrellas/palapas, and I need the shade.

There are points along the beach (around the Bucuti, for example) that the beach is very wide.

To the other poster, there are not "lots" of vendors on Eagle Beach.

There is one vendor on Druif beach. I know there is one on Eagle beach near the Amsterdam Manor, is there another one near La Quinta???

There are many more vendors on Palm beach, including the chaises at MoomBa which the last I was aware were complimentary.

There is a vendor with chairs across from Paradise Beach Villas. He has approximately 20 or so chairs, and they go fast. I have stayed there three weeks over the past several years, and have observed many cruisers try to find chairs and shade. Often, they get one of the chairs that are stacked on the beach near the palapas (resort chairs), to be run off by the resort security. I really don't recommend spending your day here. Cruisers are not allowed to use the palapas, most of the chairs you will see belong to the resort, and there are no facilities. There is a little shade under the divi trees, but that is all. The public access extends across from the resort, Oceania. The palapas there belong to the resort, and the Oceania guests bring over chairs from the resort. Most of the beaches along Eagle Beach a nice and wide. Perhaps the OP has Eagle Beach and Palm Beach confused.

Edited by Hatteras51

We just got back from Eagle beach last week. The rental was $25.00 it was for 2 lounge chairs under a Palpaya tree. There is no negotiating, tried but it was $25.00 or nothing, it was worth the $25.00, beach and water was beautiful.

Wow - $25 for just 2 chairs, no umbrella? So it sounds like Eagle Beach will cost about the same as Palm Beach. Was there plenty of shade under trees? Where on Eagle Beach were you ?

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to eagle Beach twice, and will return there in December. You just walk out of the terminal and go across the street to the public bus station. I think it is bus #1. Costs maybe $1.50 each way. It takes maybe 15 minutes, but have correct change. Tell driver you would like to go to Amsterdam Manor Hotel. Beach, and rental chairs, are right there on the beach. There is some natural shade and some palapas. Chairs are not as cheap as some other islands, but neither is Aruba. HINT: We thought the beers at the beach bar were expensive, but you can walk over to the hotel gift shop and buy beers for much less. Get there by 10, or so, for a place under natural shade.

Effective October 1, the Amsterdam Manor will be only renting chairs & palapas at their MVC Eagle Beach sister resort's beach.

They'll have some sort of bar service on the beach, chair rental, palapas, and the bathrooms and food will be across the street at their restaurant Tulip.

Effective October 1, the Amsterdam Manor will be only renting chairs & palapas at their MVC Eagle Beach sister resort's beach.

They'll have some sort of bar service on the beach, chair rental, palapas, and the bathrooms and food will be across the street at their restaurant Tulip.

Please excuse me, but what are palapas?

How far is this from the Amsterdam manor?

Why would they stop renting chairs:confused:

Is the beach just as nice at MVC?

Edited by monicajay

How far is this from the Amsterdam manor?
1/3 mile apart

There were too many complaints from the resort's guests. The resort charges anywhere between $230-$450, low season, to $360- $600 per night, high season depending upon the type of accommodation (basic studio on up to 2 bedroom units).

Imagine spending $600 a night :eek: to stay at a resort only to come down to the beach in the morning to find all the shade palapas taken by cruise ship passengers who have paid a minimal sum for the privilege?

Is the beach just as nice at MVC?
MVC is on Eagle Beach as well. It is all the same stretch of beach. High season rates there run $200 -$175 per night. MVC is a small "budget" hotel with only 19 guest rooms. ;)

Below is a photo of the entire length of Eagle beach

Eagle-Beach-07_thumb.jpg

At the tip you see in the far right of the photo, around the bend, is Manchebo Beach and Druif Beach beyond that.

ak_sm.JPG

Above, the vertical stretch of beach is Eagle Beach and at the bend, horizontally is Manchebo Beach onto Druif beach.

1/3 mile apart

There were too many complaints from the resort's guests. The resort charges anywhere between $230-$450, low season, to $360- $600 per night, high season depending upon the type of accommodation (basic studio on up to 2 bedroom units).

Imagine spending $600 a night :eek: to stay at a resort only to come down to the beach in the morning to find all the shade palapas taken by cruise ship passengers who have paid a minimal sum for the privilege?

MVC is on Eagle Beach as well. It is all the same stretch of beach. High season rates there run $200 -$175 per night. MVC is a small "budget" hotel with only 19 guest rooms. ;)

Below is a photo of the entire length of Eagle beach

Eagle-Beach-07_thumb.jpg

At the tip you see in the far right of the photo, around the bend, is Manchebo Beach and Druif Beach beyond that.

ak_sm.JPG

Above, the vertical stretch of beach is Eagle Beach and at the bend, horizontally is Manchebo Beach onto Druif beach.

Do you know how much the chair rental is at MVC?

Edited by alreadypacked

Sorry to hear that, we went to Amsterdam last year and loved it. We were planning to go there again on our upcoming cruise. Is MVC beach just as nice? Where would you take bus or taxi to?

Edited by Elcruzer

Having stayed at the Bucuti on Eagle Beach many times, I think it's a great idea to not rent to cruise passengers (though Bucuti doesn't do this rental). I understand why resort guests complain! And this isn't even discussing the people who pay nothing and start poaching palapas and loungers.

Edited by 6rugrats

• 1 year later...

I have a few questions...

When I get off the cruise ship -- where should I tell the taxi to drop me off if I wanna spend the day at Palm Beach? (looking to lounge close to somewhere I can get drinks, nearby restrooms, place to rent chair/umbrella)

Is it easy to get taxi's to and from the beach? How long is the ride from the dock to Palm Beach?

Thanks!

(I usually book excursions through the cruise line so I get nervous just 'winging' it and going out on our own!) :p

No worries winging it when going to Palm Beach in Aruba. ;)

A taxi will cost $11 each way for up to a maximum of 5 people as permitted by law. Add an additional $3 each way on Sundays and national holidays.

The Taxi ride should be no more than 20 minutes, but could take longer depending upon the amount of traffic in downtown Oranjestad.

Ask to be dropped off at the entrance to De Palm Pier. Take the walkway from the street out towards the beach. On the right hand side there are 2 vendors who rent chaises and umbrellas. Bugaloe Bar and Grill is at the end of the pier. There are also hotel beachside restaurants at the Radisson and Hyatt.

When you are ready to depart simply walk thought the Radisson property and out to their lobby where there should be taxis waiting outside. If not the bellman will call one for you.

No worries winging it when going to Palm Beach in Aruba. ;)

A taxi will cost $11 each way for up to a maximum of 5 people as permitted by law. Add an additional $3 each way on Sundays and national holidays.

The Taxi ride should be no more than 20 minutes, but could take longer depending upon the amount of traffic in downtown Oranjestad.

Ask to be dropped off at the entrance to De Palm Pier. Take the walkway from the street out towards the beach. On the right hand side there are 2 vendors who rent chaises and umbrellas. Bugaloe Bar and Grill is at the end of the pier. There are also hotel beachside restaurants at the Radisson and Hyatt.

When you are ready to depart simply walk thought the Radisson property and out to their lobby where there should be taxis waiting outside. If not the bellman will call one for you.

Thank you so much Arubalisa! Very very helpful!

We plan on doing that if we cannot get the Renaissance Day pass. :cool: