Aft balconies on Cat D/E cabins on Freedom Class - loungers or no?

Toddcan

There is another thread about loungers on balconies no longer allowed, but I need to hear from anyone who has recently sailed on Freedom Class Ships - Prefereably the Independance of the Seas.

If you have sailed on a D/E category AFT balcony - did you have loungers on your balcony?

From what I read, it sounds like Liberty of the Seas are enforcing some new rule of no loungers on any cabin less than a JS.

We're on the Independance of the Seas, cabin 7708, and will switch to a more central cabin location if there are no loungers. We booked this cabin specifically for the loungers.

Thanks in advance!

We are booked twice on IOS and hope to have loungers on our aft but we did not have them on Liberty. We were in an E 1 and not allowed. We did have them in our D #1700 though. Due to the Steel structure all around it I guess?

There was a thread somewhere on CC today about dumb or stupid rules.

I would vote this rule into that. If the balcony is big enough for a lounger, dag gone it, they should allow it. What is that use of a large balcony if you can't make use of it? Of course if your balcony is 10 feet wide and 2 feet deep, I can see why they might say not lounger, but most aft's are deeper than this.

7708 seems like a popular choice. To me, it seemed to be the best cat D/E balcony (except for maybe deck 10 cabins- but those are right below the windjammer- and I hear those can be a bit noisy during the cleaning times.

I've seen pics of this cabin on the Freedom class ships with lougers. I'm just concerned that it's specific captains who have made the decision to disallow loungers. Clearly, people have eye witness accounts that this is the case on the Liberty.

I'm really hoping that someone who specifically sailed in these cabins on the Indy, or even Freedom can chime in and share their experiences.

You get a lounger two actually.:D

Liz, I sure hope you are right, but were you aware that on the Liberty, they have removed loungers from many (except deck 10) aft balconies?

There are accounts of pax begging/tipping/using plat status/seeing cruise directors, etc etc.. but they were still refused loungers on the Liberty. These weren't side balconeis, but aft where there is a ton more room.

Hence my concern.

Hoping the same - I moved to 1700 (aft) on the Independence specifically for the larger balcony and loungers. If the loungers aren't going to be there, I'll probably look a little bit further forward. It's our first cruise and I went from just behind the hump to 1700 because of the great reviews. (December 22, Christmas sailing)

Hope they're still there on the Freedom in October. Got 7408 booked specifically for the roomy deck with loungers.

Also just booked next March on Liberty and asked for 7408 on there too. I'll be disappointed if we get loungers on one and not the other.

Wonder if you could buy a beach chair at a port (one of those small, low to the ground ones you could use as a sort of lounger) and use it out there or if you'd get it confiscated.

I can report that in Nov. of 2011, we were not permitted to have more than 2 chairs on the balcony of Liberty of the Seas cabin 7408...and we had three in our cabin, and one person was my 93 year old mother-in-law.

I hope this has changed for future cruisers on this ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on this?

Anyone on liberty lately? We are currently deck 8 mid ship but a deck six aft (6710) is open and was going to call today and switch.

The only reason I am switching is because of the loungers. No point in calling RCI as I know their call center is normally the last to know of any changes.

We were on the Liberty Aug. 22-Sept. 1 in 7708. There were no louners on the balcony when we arrived...or any of the aft balconies I snooped at. We asked our stateroom attendent and he was able to get toe for us:D

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/SuAnne_2007/Facebook/Med%20Cruise%202012%20Liberty%20of%20the%20Seas/303625_10151227144891341_698245023_n.jpg

SuAnne

We were on the Liberty Aug. 22-Sept. 1 in 7708. There were no louners on the balcony when we arrived...or any of the aft balconies I snooped at. We asked our stateroom attendent and he was able to get toe for us:D

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/SuAnne_2007/Facebook/Med%20Cruise%202012%20Liberty%20of%20the%20Seas/303625_10151227144891341_698245023_n.jpg

SuAnne

SuAnne,

That is good news! Was it difficult to convince your room attendant to get you those two loungers?

Did I miss it, What is the explanation for no loungers in the first place ?

D:D

There was none. We were on in April, not in a JS. They are allowed on a JS.

We were on for 14 nights TA in an aft with no loungers allowed and they had no explanation that made any sense. Even mentioned Concordia accident at one point??:confused: Had nothing to do with loungers we said? It was or is their policy and that was it.

Glad to hear they maybe relenting but now we don't have an aft for Oct. Gave it up for a Guarantee cabin.

SuAnne

We have 7708 on the Independence in March, if our balcony is like yours on the Liberty we may never leave the balcony. Why sit with the crowds when you have can have peace and quiet and the view. This will be our first aft cabin on the RCI.

We have 7708 on the Independence in March, if our balcony is like yours on the Liberty we may never leave the balcony. Why sit with the crowds when you have can have peace and quiet and the view. This will be our first aft cabin on the RCI.

Phabric - Your balcony will be identical to the one in the photo (hopefully also with loungers).

We have it in March as well on IOS. What sailing are you on?

Phabric - Your balcony will be identical to the one in the photo (hopefully also with loungers).

We have it in March as well on IOS. What sailing are you on?

We also have 7708 on the IOS (March 10-16 sailing). Looks like we know who will be in this cabin for pretty much all of March :)

Who's after us? We might leave a hidden surprise for you (a good one). That would be fun to do.. nothing big - perhaps some little trinket from our Canadian home for you.

We also have 7708 on the IOS (March 10-16 sailing). Looks like we know who will be in this cabin for pretty much all of March :)

Who's after us? We might leave a hidden surprise for you (a good one). That would be fun to do.. nothing big - perhaps some little trinket from our Canadian home for you.

We are from Toronto. We will be in 7708 from March 16-24 right after you. I thought March break was from March 18 when I booked. Try to get the lounge chairs for us.